Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Regulatory Role of fnr Gene in Growth and tolA Gene Expression in Salmonella Typhimurium
First Online 02-02-2021|
Methods: In this study, we deleted fnr gene from S.Typhimurium using lambda red-recombinase mediated gene knockout protocol. Further carried out in vitro characterization and analyzed the differential protein expression in wild type (WT) and isogenic Δfnr null mutant (Δfnr) using SDS-PAGE and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry under anaerobic conditions.
Result: In growth competition, WT strain outcompeted the Δfnr and biofilm-forming ability of Δfnr was significantly reduced compared to WT strain. Swimming motility was reduced in Δfnr strain. Besides, differential protein expression revealed the global changes in the expression of many proteins in fnr strain. One differentially expressed protein was identified as TolA, an inner membrane envelope protein. It points out that fnr may regulate the genes responsible for motility and biofilm formation. FNR protein positively regulates TolA, which is important for bacterial virulence, maintenance of membrane integrity, LPS production and replication of bacteria.
- Behera, P., Nikhil, K.C., Kumar, A., Gali, J.M., De, A., Mohanty, A.K., Ali, M.A. and Sharma, B. (2020). Comparative proteomic analysis of Salmonella Typhimurium wild type and its isogenic fnr null mutant during anaerobiosis reveals new insight into bacterial metabolism and virulence. Microb. Pathog. 140: 103936.
- Chakraborty, S., Roychoudhury, P., Samanta, I., Subudhi, P.K., Das, M., De, A., Bandyopadhayay, S., Joardar, S.N., Mandal, M. and Qureshi, A. (2020). Molecular detection of biofilm, virulence and antimicrobial resistance associated genes of Salmonella serovars isolated from pig and chicken of Mizoram, India. Indian J. Anim. Res. 54(5).
- Chakroun, I., Cordero, H., Mahdhi, A., Morcillo, P., Fedhila, K., Cuesta, A., Bakhrouf, A., Mahdouani, K. and Esteban, M.Á. (2017). Adhesion, invasion, cytotoxic effect and cytokine production in response to atypical Salmonella Typhimurium infection. Microb. Pathog. 106: 40-49.
- Chakroun, I., Mahdhi, A., Morcillo, P., Cordero, H., Cuesta, A., Bakhrouf, A., Mahdouani, K. and Esteban, M.Á. (2018). Motility, biofilm formation, apoptotic effect and virulence gene expression of atypical Salmonella Typhimurium outside and inside Caco-2 cells. Microb. Pathog. 114: 153-162.
- Chelvam, K.K., Chai, L.C. and Thong, K.L. (2014). Variations in motility and biofilm formation of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi. Gut Pathog. 6(1): 2.
- Chopra, A.K., Peterson, J.W., Chary, P. and Prasad, R. (1994). Molecular characterization of an enterotoxin from Salmonella typhimurium. Microb. Pathog. 16(2): 85-98.
- Crack, J., Green, J. and Thomson, A.J. (2004). Mechanism of oxygen sensing by the bacterial transcription factor fumarate-nitrate reduction (FNR). J. Biol. Chem. 279(10): 9278-9286.
- Datsenko, K.A. and Wanner, B.L. (2000). One-step inactivation of chromosomal genes in Escherichia coli K-12 using PCR products. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 97(12): 6640-6645.
- Fernández, P., Velásquez, F., Garcias-Papayani, H., Amaya, F.A., Ortega, J., Gómez, S., Santiviago, C.A. and Álvarez, S.A. (2018). Fnr and ArcA regulate lipid a hydroxylation in Salmonella enteritidis by controlling lpxO expression in response to oxygen availability. Front. Microbiol. 9: 1220.
- Fink, R.C., Evans, M.R., Porwollik, S., Vazquez-Torres, A., Jones-Carson, J., Troxell, B., Libby, S.J., McClelland, M. and Hassan, H.M. (2007). FNR is a global regulator of virulence and anaerobic metabolism in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium (ATCC 14028s). J. Bacteriol. 189(6): 2262-2273.
- Finlay, B.B. and Falkow, S. (1990). Salmonella interactions with polarized human intestinal Caco-2 epithelial cells. J. Infect. Dis. 162(5): 1096-1106.
- Grantcharova, N., Peters, V., Monteiro, C., Zakikhany, K. and Römling, U. (2010). Bistable expression of CsgD in biofilm development of Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium. J. Bacteriol. 192(2): 456-466.
- Gunsalus, R.P. and Park, S.-J. (1994). Aerobic-anaerobic gene regulation in Escherichia coli: control by the ArcAB and Fnr regulons. Res. Microbiol. 145(5-6): 437-450.
- Gupta, A.R., Dey, S., Saini, M. and Swarup, D. 2014. Down-regulation of expression of type 1 collagen gene in dentin of fluoride exposed rats. Indian J. Anim. Res. 48(6): 601-604.
- HARRIS, J.C., DUPONT, H.L. and HORNICK, R.B. (1972). Fecal leukocytes in diarrheal illness. Ann. Intern. Med. 76(5): 697-703.
- Hassan, H.M. and Sun, H.C. (1992). Regulatory roles of Fnr, Fur and Arc in expression of manganese-containing superoxide dismutase in Escherichia coli. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 89(8): 3217-3221.
- Iyoda, S., Kamidoi, T., Hirose, K., Kutsukake, K. and Watanabe, H. (2001). A flagellar gene fliZ regulates the expression of invasion genes and virulence phenotype in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. Microb. Pathog. 30(2): 81-90.
- Khoramian-Falsafi, T., Harayama, S., Kutsukake, K. and Pechere, J.C. (1990). Effect of motility and chemotaxis on the invasion of Salmonella typhimurium into HeLa cells. Microb. Pathog. 9(1): 47-53.
- Khoroshilova, N., Popescu, C., Münck, E., Beinert, H. and Kiley, P.J. (1997). Iron-sulfur cluster disassembly in the FNR protein of Escherichia coli by O2:[4Fe-4S] to [2Fe-2S] conversion with loss of biological activity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 94(12): 6087-6092.
- Lee, C.A. and Falkow, S. (1990). The ability of Salmonella to enter mammalian cells is affected by bacterial growth state. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 87(11): 4304-4308.
- Lombardo, M.-J., Bagga, D. and Miller, C.G. (1991). Mutations in rpoA affect expression of anaerobically regulated genes in Salmonella typhimurium. J. Bacteriol. 173(23): 7511-7518.
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L. and Randall, R.J. (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193: 265-275.
- Masilamani, R., Cian, M.B. and Dalebroux, Z.D. (2018). Salmonella Tol-Pal reduces outer membrane glycerophospholipid levels for envelope homeostasis and survival during bacteremia. Infect. Immun. 86(7): e00173-18.
- Miki, T., Okada, N., Shimada, Y. and Danbara, H. (2004). Characterization of Salmonella pathogenicity island 1 type III secretion-dependent hemolytic activity in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. Microb. Pathog. 37(2): 65-72.
- Monteiro, C., Papenfort, K., Hentrich, K., Ahmad, I., Le Guyon, S., Reimann, R., Grantcharova, N. and Römling, U. (2012). Hfq and Hfq-dependent small RNAs are major contributors to multicellular development in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. RNA Biol. 9(4): 489-502.
- Morimoto, Y. V, Namba, K. and Minamino, T. (2017). Measurements of free-swimming speed of motile Salmonella cells in liquid media. Bio-protocol 7: e2093.
- Nair, A., Rawool, D.B., Doijad, S., Poharkar, K., Mohan, V., Barbuddhe, S.B., Kolhe, R., Kurkure, N. V, Kumar, A. and Malik, S.V.S. (2015). Biofilm formation and genetic diversity of Salmonella isolates recovered from clinical, food, poultry and environmental sources. Infect. Genet. Evol. 36: 424-433.
- Park, H.J., Kim, H.J., Park, S.H., Shin, E.G., Kim, J.H. and Kim, H.Y. (2008). Direct and quantitative analysis of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium using real-time PCR from artificially contaminated chicken meat. J. Microbiol .Biotechnol. 18(8): 1453-1458.
- Park, S.J. and Gunsalus, R.P. (1995). Oxygen, iron, carbon and superoxide control of the fumarase fumA and fumC genes of Escherichia coli: role of the arcA, fnr and soxR gene products. J. Bacteriol. 177(21): 6255-6262.
- Paterson, G.K., Northen, H., Cone, D.B., Willers, C., Peters, S.E. and Maskell, D.J. (2009). Deletion of tolA in Salmonella Typhimurium generates an attenuated strain with vaccine potential. Microbiology 155(1): 220-228.
- Pegues, D.A. (2005). Salmonella species, including Salmonella typhi. Princ. Pract. Infect. Dis. 2636-2654.
- Sambrook, J. (2001). Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual/Joseph Sambrook, David W. Russell.
- Samhita, L., Nanjundiah, V. and Varshney, U. (2014). How many initiator tRNA genes does Escherichia coli need? J. Bacteriol. 196(14): 2607-2615.
- Shukla, S.K. and Rao, T.S. (2017). An Improved Crystal Violet Assay for Biofilm Quantification in 96-Well Microtitre Plate. bioRxiv 100214.
- Spiro, S. and Guest, J.R. (1990). FNR and its role in oxygen-regulated gene expression in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 6(4): 399-428.
- Wing, H.J., Williams, S.M. and Busby, S.J. (1995). Spacing requirements for transcription activation by Escherichia coli FNR protein. J. Bacteriol. 177(23): 6704-6710.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.