Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Studies on Ovarian Follicular Dynamics and Steroid Profiles in Sahiwal Cattle
First Online 27-07-2021|
Methods: The study was conducted in normal cyclic, pluriparous, non-lactating Sahiwal cows (n=7). Trans-rectal ultrasonography was performed to record the location, size, number of follicles and size of corpus luteum (CL) from the beginning, till the end of experiment. The dataset was used to characterize the follicular wave emergence, growth, regression, time of selection and ovulation of the dominant follicle in each cow.
Result: Three Sahiwal cows showed two wave and four cows showed three wave estrous cycles with mean interovulatory length of 20.33±0.33 and 22.50±0.28 days, respectively. No significant difference was recorded in the maximum diameter of corpus luteum, P4 and E2 plasma levels between 2-wave and 3-wave estrous cycles. The peak progesterone values of 6.00±0.91 and 6.2±1.2 ng/ml and peak estradiol values of 15.83±0.60 and 14.31±0.44 ng/ml were recorded in 2-wave and 3-wave estrous cycle, respectively. The results showed that Sahiwal cows had 2-wave and 3-wave estrous cycle and the 3-wave estrous cycle had comparatively longer inter-ovulatory period and smaller maximum diameter of second wave dominant follicle than 2-wave estrous cycle.
- Adams, G.P., Jaiswal R., Singh J. and Malhi P. (2008). Progress in understanding ovarian follicular dynamics in cattle. Theriogenology. 69: 72-80.
- Adams, G.P., Matteri, R.L., Kastelic, J.P., Ko, J.C.H. and Ginther, O.J. (1992). Association between surges of follicle stimulating hormone and the emergence of follicular waves in heifers. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility. 94: 177-88.
- Adams, G.P. (1998). Control of ovarian follicular wave dynamics in mature and prepubertal cattle for synchronization and superstimulation. In: Proceedings of the XX congress of the world association for buiatrics. 2: 595-605.
- Alvarez, P., Spicer, L.J., Chase, C.C., Payton, M.E., Hamilton, T.D., Stewart, R.E., Hammond, A.C., Olson, T.A. and Wetteman, R.P. (2000). Ovarian and endocrine characteristics during the estrous cycle in Angus, Brahman and Senepol cows in a subtropical environment. Journal of Animal Science. 78: 1291-1302.
- Baruselli, P.S., Marques, M.O., Nasser, L.F., Reis, E.L. and Bo, G.A. (2003). Effect of eCG on pregnancy rates of lactating zebu beef cows treated with CIDR-B devices for timed artificial insemination. Theriogenology. 59: 214.
- Bastos, M.R., Mattos, M.C.C., Meschiatti, M.A.P., Surjus, R.S., Guardieiro, M.M., Ferreira, J.C.P., Mourão, G. B., Pires, A.V., Biehl, M.V., Pedroso, A.M., Santos, F.A.P. and Sartori, R. (2010). Ovarian function and circulating hormones in non-lactating Nelore versus Holstein cows. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae. 38: 776.
- Bo, G.A., Adams, G.P., Nasser, L.F., Pierson, R.A. and Mapletoft, R.J. (1993). Effect of estradiol valerate on ovarian follicles, emergence of follicular waves and circulating gonadotropins in heifers. Theriogenology. 40: 225-39.
- Buratini, Jr. J., Price, C.A., Visintin, J.A. and Bó, G.A. (2000). Effects of dominant follicle aspiration and treatment with Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin (BST) on ovarian follicular development in Nelore (Bos indicus) heifers. Theriogenology, 54: 421-31.
- Carvalho, J.B., Carvalho, N.A., Reis, E.L., Nichi, M., Souza, A.H.and Baruselli, P.S. (2008). Effect of early luteolysis in progesterone -based timed AI protocols in Bos indicus, Bos indicus x Bos taurus and Bos taurus heifers. Theriogenology. 69: 167-75.
- Coetzer, W.A., van Niekerk, C.H., Morgenthal, J.C. and van der Westhuysen, J.M. (1978). Hormone levels in peripheral plasma of the Afrikaner cow. 1. Progesterone and luteinising hormone levels during the oestrous cycle. South African Journal of Animal Science. 8: 1-5.
- Dhami, A.J., Theodre, V.K., Panchal, M.T., Hadiya, K.K., Lunagariya, P.M., and Sarvaiya, N.P. (2017). Effect of peripartum nutritional supplementation on postpartum fertility and blood biochemical and steroid hormone profile in crossbred cows. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 5: 821-826.
- Figueiredo, R.A., Barros, C.M., Pinheiro, O.L. and Sole, J.M.P. (1997). Ovarian follicular dynamics in Nelore breed (Bos indicus) cattle. Theriogenology. 47: 1489-1505.
- Fortune, J.E., Rivera, G.M., Evans, A.C.O. and Turzillo, A.M. (2001). Differentiation of dominant versus subordinate follicles in cattle. Biology of Reproduction. 65: 648-54.
- Fortune, J.E. (1994). Ovarian follicular growth and development in mammals. Biology of Reproduction. 50: 225-32.
- Gaur, M. and Purohit, G.N. (2007). Follicular dynamics in Rathi (Bos indicus) cattle. Veterinary Archive. 77: 177-86.
- Gimenes, L.U., SáFilho, M.F., Carvalho, N.A.T., Torres-Junior. J.R.S., Souza, A.H., Madureira, E.H., Trinca, L.A., Sartorelli, E.S., Barros, C.M., Carvalho, J.B.P., Mapletoft, R.J. and Baruselli. P.S. (2008). Follicle deviation and ovulatory capacity in Bos indicus heifers. Theriogenology. 69: 852-58.
- Ginther, O.J., Kastelic, J.P. and Knopf, L. (1989). Composition and characteristics of follicular waves during the bovine estrous cycle. Animal Reproduction Science. 20: 187-200.
- Ginther, O.J., Wiltbank, M.C., Fricke, P.M., Gibbons, J.R. and Kot, K. (1996). Selection of the dominant follicle in cattle. Biology of Reproduction. 55: 1187-94.
- Glencross, R.G. and Pope, G.S. (1981). Concentrations of estradiol 17 ß and progesterone in the plasma of dairy heifers before and after cloprostenol induced and natural luteolysis and during early pregnancy. Animal Reproduction Science 4: 91-106.
- Griffin, J.L. and Randel, R.D. (1978). Reproductive studies of Brahman cattle II. Luteinizing hormone patterns in ovariectomized Brahman and Hereford cows before and after injection of gonadotropin releasing hormone. Theriogenology. 9: 437-43.
- Hansel, W. (1981). Plasma hormone concentrations associated with early embryo mortality in heifers. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility. (Supplement 30): 231-39.
- Jaiswal, R.S. (2007). Regulation of follicular wave pattern in cattle. Ph.D Saskastchewan, Canada.
- Karsh, F.J., Legan, S.J., Ryan, K.D. and Foster, D.L. (1978). The feedback effects of ovarian steroids on gonadotropin secretion. In: Crighton, D.B., Foxcroft, G.R., Hynes, N.B. and Lamming, G.E. (Eds), Control of Ovulation, Butterworths, London, pp. 29-48.
- Khan, M.S., Rehman, Z.U., Khan, M.A. and Ahmad, S. (2008). Genetic resources and diversity in Pakistani cattle. Pakistan Veterinary Journal. 28: 95-102.
- Liewelyn, C.A., Munro, C.D., Luckins, A.G., Jordt, T., Murray, M. and Lorenzini, E. (1987). Behavioural and ovarian changes during the oestrous cycle in the Boran (Bos indicus). British Veterinary Journal. 143: 75-82.
- Mollo, M.R., Rumpf, R., Martins, A.C., Mattos, M.C.C., Lopes Jr, G., Carrijo, L.H.D. and Sartori, R. (2007). Ovarian function in Nelore heifers under low or high feed intake. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae. 35: 958.
- Mondal, S., Prakash, B.S. and Palta, B. (2004). Peripheral plasma FHS concentration in relation to expression of estrus in Sahiwal cattle (Bos indicus). Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 48: 245-50.
- Muraya, J., Mutembei, H.M., Tsuma, V.T. and Mutiga, E.R. (2015). Characterization of follicular dynamics in Kenyan Boran cow. International Journal of Veterinary Science. 4: 206-10.
- Noseir, M.B. (2003). Ovarian follicular activity and hormonal profile during estrous cycle in cows: The development of 2 versus 3 waves. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 1: 50.
- Randel, R.D. (1980). Total serum estrogens before and after estrus in Brahman, Brahman x Hereford and Hereford heifers. Journal of Animal Science. 51: 2.
- Rantala, M.H. and Taponen, J. (2015). LH secretion around induced ovulation during early and late diestrus and its effect on the appearance of short estrous cycles in cyclic dairy heifers. Theriogenology. 83: 497-503
- Rhodes, F.M., De’ath, G. and Entwistle, K.W. (1995). Animal and temporal effects on ovarian follicular dynamics in Brahman heifers. Animal Reproduction Science. 38: 265-77.
- Sartorelli, E.S., Carvalho, L.M., Bergfelt, D.R., Ginther, O.J. and Barros, C.M. (2005). Morphological characterization of follicle deviation in Nelore (Bos indicus) heifers and cows. Theriogenology. 63: 2382-94.
- Sartori, R. (2010). Ovarian function and circulating hormones in non-lactating Nelore versus Holstein cows. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae. 38: 776.
- Sartori, R. and Barros, C.M. (2011). Reproductive cycles in Bos indicus cattle. Animal Reproduction Science. 124: 244-50.
- Sartori, R., Fricke, P.M., Ferreira, J.C., Ginther, O.J. and Wiltbank, M.C. (2001). Follicular deviation and acquisition of ovulatory capacity in bovine follicles. Biology of Reproduction. 65: 1403-09.
- Sartori, R., Gimenes, L.U., Monteiro Jr, P.L., Melo, L.F., Baruselli, P.S. and Bastos, M.R. (2016). Metabolic and endocrine differences between Bos taurus and Bos indicus females that impact the interaction of nutrition with reproduction. Theriogenology. 86: 32-40.
- Sartori, R., Haughian, J.M., Shaver, R.D., Rosa, G.J.M. and Wiltbank, M.C. (2004). Comparison of ovarian function and circulating steroids in estrous cycles of Holstein heifers and lactating cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 87: 905-20.
- Savio, J.D., Keenan, L., Boland, M.P. and Roche, J.F. (1988). Pattern of growth of dominant follicles during the estrous cycle of heifers. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility. 83: 663-71.
- Schams, D., Schallenberger, E., Hoffmann, B. and Karg, H. (1977). The oestrus cycle of the cow: Hormonal parameters and time relationships concerning oestrus, ovulation and electrical resistance of the vaginal mucus. Acta Endocrinologica (Copenhagen). 86: 180-92.
- Segerson, E.C., Hansen, T.R., Libby, D.W., Randel, R.D. and Getz, W.R. (1984). Ovarian and uterine morphology and function in Angus and Brahman cows. Journal of Animal Science 59: 1026-46.
- Sirois, J. and Fortune J. (1988). Ovarian follicular dynamics during the estrous cycle in heifers monitored by real time ultrasonography. Biology of Reproduction. 39: 308-17.
- Townson, D.H., Tsang, P.C., Butler, W.R., Frajblat, M., Griel. L.C., Johnson Jr, C.J., Milvae, R.A., Niksic, G.M. and Pate, J. (2002). Relationship of fertility to ovarian follicular waves before breeding in dairy cows. Journal of Animal Science. 80: 1053-58.
- Viana, J.H.M., Ferreira, A.M., Sá, W.F. and Camargo, L.S.A. (2000). Follicular dynamics in Zebu cattle. Pure and Applied Biology. 35: 2501-09.
- Webb, R., Garnsworthy, P.G., Gong, J.G. and Armstrong, D.G. (2004). Control of folliicular growth: Local interactions and nutritional influences. Journal of Animal Science. 82: 63-74.
- Zeitoun, M.M., Rodriguez, H.F. and Randel, R.D. (1996). Effect of season on ovarian follicular dynamics in Brahman cows. Theriogenology. 45: 1577-81.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.