Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Prevalence of antibodies to Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus (BVDV) in blood and milk serum in dairy cattle in Kars district of Turkey
First Online 02-04-2016|
The purpose of this study was to detect of antibodies against Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus (BVDV) in blood and milk serum samples. With this aim, a total of 192 blood and milk samples were collected from unvaccinated Holstein cows in Kars district of Turkey. Blood and milk serum samples were tested to determine the presence of antibodies against BVDV by commercial indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). In this study, while 172 of blood serum (89.58%) were found to be positive for the presence of BVDV antibodies, 161 of milk serum samples (83.85%) were positive. In addition, 150 (78.12%) both blood and milk serum samples of same cattle were positive for BVDV antibodies. Only 22 (11.45%) blood serum of cattle was detected positive for BVDV, while only 11 (5.73%) milk serum was seropositive. Data obtained from the study showed the presence of BVDV infection in dairy herds in the Kars region and demonstrate that blood serum and milk serum samples might be consistent with one another in the determination of BVDV seroprevalence.
- Ackermann, M. and M. Engels. 2006. Pro and contra IBR-eradication. Vet. Microbiol., 113: 293–302.
- Alvarez, M., Donate, J. and Makoschey, B. (2012). Antibody responses against non-structural protein 3 of bovine viral diarrhoea virus in milk and serum samples from animals immunised with an inactivated vaccine. Vet. J., 191: 371–376
- Beaudeau, F., Belloc, C., Seegers, H., Assie, S., Sellal, E. and Joly, A. (2001a). Evaluation of a blocking ELISA for the detection of bovine virus diarrhea virus (BVDV) antibodies in serum and milk. Vet. Microbiol., 80:329-337.
- Beaudeau, F., C. Belloc., H. Seegers., S. Assie., E. Sellal. and A. Joly. 2001.Evaluation of a blocking ELISA for the detection of bovine virus diarrhea virus (BVDV) antibodies in serum and milk. Vet. Microbiol., 80:329-337.
- Bitsch, V. and Ronsholt, L. (1995). Control of bovine viral diarrhoea virus infection without application of vaccines. Vet. Clin. N. Am. Food. A., 11:627-640.
- Bulut, O., Avci, O., Yapici, O., Yavru, S. and Simsek, A. (2013). Serological and virological investigation of Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus infection in cattle with abortion problem. Eurasian J. Vet. Sci., 29:159-62.
- Erol, N., Gur, S. and Acar, A.A. (2014). Serological investigation for Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus infection in and around Afyonkarahisar province, West Anatolia. Kocatepe Vet. J., 7:17-21.
- Gonzalez, Ana M., Arnaiz, I., Yus, E., Eiras, C., Sanjuán, M. and Diéguez, F. J. (2014). Evaluation of long-term antibody responses to two inactivated bovine viral diarrhoea virus (BVDV) vaccines. Vet. J. 199: 424–428
- Heffernan, C., Misturelli, F., Nielsen, L., Gunn, G.J. and Yu, J. (2009). Analysis of Pan-European attitudes to the eradication and control of bovine viral diarrhoea. Vet. Rec., 164: 163–167.
- Lindberg, A.L.E. and Alenius, S. (1999). Principles for eradication of bovine viral diarrhoea virus (BVDV) infections in cattle populations. Vet. Microbiol., 64:197-222.
- Lindberg, A., J. Brownlie., G.J. Gunn., H. Houe., V. Moennig. and H.W. Saatkamp. 2006. The control of bovine diarrhoea virus in Europe: today and in the future. Rev. Sci. Tech. Oie., 25: 961–979.
- Moennig, V., H. Houe. and A. Lindberg. 2005. BVD control in Europe: current status and perspectives. Anim. Health Res. Rev., 6: 63–74.
- Niskanen, R., Alenius, S., Larsson, B. and Juntti, N. (1989). Evaluation of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detection of antibodies to bovine virus diarrhoea virus in milk. Zentralbl. Veterinarmed. B., 36: 113-118.
- Niskanen, R., Alenius, S., Larsson, B. and Jacobsson, S.O. (1991). Determination of level of antibodies to bovine viral diarrhoea virus (BVDV) in bulk tank milk as a tool in the diagnosis and prophylaxis of BVDV infections in dairy herds. Arch. Virol., 3:245-251.
- Niskanen, R. 1993. Relationship between the levels of antibodies to bovine viral diarrhoea virus in bulk tank milk and the prevalence of cows exposed to the virus. Vet. Rec., 133: 341-344.
- Oguzoglu, T.C., D. Muz., V. Yilmaz., F. Alkan., Y. Akca. and I. Burgu. 2011. Molecular characterization of bovine virus diarrhea viruses species 2 (BVDV-2) from cattle in Turkey. Trop. Anim. Health. Prod., 42: 1175–1180
- Passler, T., Walz, P., Ditchkoff, S., Givens, M., Maxwell, H. and Brock, K. (2007). Experimental persistent infection with bovine viral diarrhea virus in white-tailed deer. Vet. Microbiol., 122: 350-356.
- Paisley, L.G., J. Tharaldsen. and J. Jarp. 2001. A retrospective analysis of the infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (bovine herpes virus-1) surveillance programme in Norway using Monte Carlo simulation models. Prev. Vet. Med., 50:109–125.
- Presi, P., Struchen, R., Knight-Jones, T., Scholl, S. and Heim, D. (2011). Bovine viral diarrhoea (BVD) eradication in Switzerland-experiences of the first two years. Prev. Vet. Med., 99: 112–121.
- Reimann, I., I. Semmler. and M. Beer. 2007. Packaged replicons of bovine viral diarrhea virus are capable of inducing a protective immune response. Virology, 366: 377-386.
- Ridpath, J.F. 2005. Practical significance of heterogeneity among BVDV strains: Impact of biotype and genotype on U.S. control programs. Prev. Vet. Med., 72: 17-30.
- Ridpath, J.F. (2012). Immunology of BVDV vaccines. Biologicals: J. Inter. Assoc. Biol. Stand., 41: 14–19.
- Ridpath, J.F. (2013). Immunology of BVDV vaccines. Biologicals 41:14–39
- Stahl H, Rivera, I., Vagsholm, J. and Moreno-Lopez, K. (2002). Bulk milk testing for antibody seroprevalences to BVDV and BHV-1 in a rural region of Peru. Prev. Vet. Med., 56: 193-202.
- Ståhl, K. and Alenius, S. (2012). BVDV control and eradication in European update. Japanese J. Vet. Res., 60: 31–39.
- Valle, P.S., Wayne, M.S. and Skjerve, E. (2001). A Bayesian approach to estimating the performance of a bovine virus diarrhea virus (BVDV) antibody ELISA bulk-tank milk test. Prev. Vet. Med., 50:71-87.
- Valle, P.S., E. Skjerve., S.W. Martin., R.B. Larssen., O. Osteras. and O. Nybery. 2005. Ten years of bovine virus diarrhoea virus (BVDV) control in Norwary: a cost-benefit analysis. Prev. Vet. Med., 72: 189–207.
- Vilcek, S., P.F. Nettleton., D.J. Paton. and S. Belak. 1997. Molecular characterization of ovine pestiviruses. J. Gen. Virol., 78: 725-735.
- Yildirim, Y., Yilmaz, V., Kalaycioglu, A.T., Dagalp, S.B., Majarashin Faraji, A.R., Celebi, O. and Akca, D. (2011). An investigation of a possible involvement of BVDV, BHV-1 and BHV-4 infections in abortion of dairy cattle in Kars District of Turkey. Kafkas Univ. Vet. Fak. Derg., 17: 879 83.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.