Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Allometry and Condition factor of Whipfin Silverbiddy, Gerres filamentosus from Mangalore Coast, Karnataka, India
First Online 19-12-2020|
Methods: The length-weight relationships and condition factor of 2020 specimens of fish, G. filamentosus from Mangalore, Karnataka, south west coast of India, were studied from July 2009 to June 2011. The length-weight relationship was found using parabolic equation. Analysis of co-variance was used to test the significant difference in estimates of “b” between sexes. The condition factor for individual fish was calculated using the formula Kn = Wo/Wc.
Result: The relation between the total length (L) and total weight (TW) was described as LogTW = -1.7716 + 2.9511 Log L for females, Log TW = -1.7526 + 2.9364 LogL for males and LogTW = -1.8343 + 2.9720 LogL for indeterminate fishes. The highest and lowest condition factor (Kn) values in females was in December 2010 (1.1186) and September 2010 (0.8871), respectively. Similarly, the highest and lowest Kn values in male was in March 2011 (1.0630) and September 2010 (0.6977), respectively. The result of length-weight relationships could be used for fishery to approve appropriate regulations for sustainable fishery management. The present findings could also be useful for ecosystem modeling. In the present study, changes in Kn value may be in relation to some other reasons than reproductive cycle and feeding intensity.
- Abu El-Nasr, T.M. (2016). Morphological observations, length-weight relationships and condition factors of the whipfin fish, Gerres filamentosus (Cuvier, 1829) in the Hurghada Red Sea, Egypt. Journal of Bioscience and Applied Research. 2: 458-469.
- Abu El-Nasr, T.M.H. (2017). Age and growth of the fish, Gerres filamentosus (Cuvier, 1829) from Hurghada Red Sea, Egypt. Egyptian Journal of Aquatic Research. 43: 219-227.
- Austin, H.M. (1971). Some aspects of the biology of the rhomboid Mojarra Diapteru srhcmbeus in Puerto Rico. Bulletin of Marine Science. 21: 886-903.
- Aziz, M., Ambily, V., Bijoy Nandan, S. (2013). Age and growth of Gerres filamentosus (Cuvier, 1829) from Kodungallur, Azhikode Estuary, Kerala. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 8: 4007-4014.
- Bagenal, T.B., Tesch, F.W. (1978). Age and growth. In: Methods for assessment fish production in fresh waters, 3rd edn. [T.B., Bagenal (ed)]. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, pp. 101-136.
- Dwarakish, G S. (2001). Study of sediment dynamics off Mangalore coast using conventional and satellite Data. Ph. D. thesis, Anna University, Chennai.
- Espino-Barr, E., Gallardo-Cabello, M., Cabrat-Solis, E.G., Puente-Gomez, M., Garcia-Boa, A. (2014). Growth of the yellowfin mojarra Gerres cinensis off the Pacific coast of Mexico. Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science. 9: 14-23.
- Froese, R. (2006). Cube law, condition factor and weight length relationships: history, meta-analysis and recommendations. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 22: 241-253.
- Frosta, I.O., Costa, P.A.S., Braga, A.C. (2004). Length-weight relationships of marine fishes from the Central Brazilian Coast. NAGA, World Fish Centre Quarterly. 27: 20-26.
- Golikatte, R.G. (2002). Some biological aspects and fishery of the whipfin silverbiddy Gerres filamentosus Cuvier from Sharavati estuary, central west coast of India. Ph.D thesis, Karnataka University, Karwar.
- Hart, T.J. (1946). Report on trawling, reviews on the Patagonian continental shelf. Discovery Reports. 23: 223-408.
- Hashemi, S.H., Salarpouri, A., Kiamrani, E., Danehkar, A. (2012). Growth parameters and mortality rates of whipfin silver-biddy (Gerres filamentosus) and longtail silver-biddy (Gerres longirostris) from creeks of Hara protected area in Jask, Iran. Iranian Journal of Fisheries Sciences. 20: 139-150.
- Hile, R. (1936). Age and growth of the Leucichthy sartedi (Le Sueur) in the lakes of the north-eastern high lands, Wisconsin. Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. 48: 211-317.
- Hussain, S.M., Paperno, R., Khatoon, Z. (2010). Length-weight relationships of fishes collected from the Korangi-Phitti Creek area (Indus delta, northern Arabian Sea). Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 26: 477-480.
- Isa, M.M., Abdul Basri, M.N., Mohd Zawawi, M.Z., Yahya, K., Md Nor, S.A. (2012). Length-weight relationships of some important estuarine fish species from Merbok estuary, Kedah. Journal of Natural Sciences Research. 2: 8-17.
- Jhingran, V.G.(1968). Synopsis of biological data on Catla, Catla catla (Hamilton, 1822). FAO Fish Synopsis No.32: Rev.1. FAO, Rome.
- Kamikawa, K.T., Cruz, E., Essington, T.E., Hospital, J., Brodziak, J.K.T., Branch, T.A. (2015). Length-weight relationships for 85 fish species from Guam. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 31: 1171-1174.
- Kanak, M.K., Tachihara, K. (2006). Age and growth of Gerres sp. (Perciformes: Gerreidae) in Okinawa Island of Southern Japan. Fisheries Science. 72: 932-938.
- Krishna, N.M., Govindarao, V., Venu, D., (2015). Length-weight relationships for some rock pool fishes off Visakhapatnam, east coast of India. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 2: 139-140.
- Kulbicki, M., Guillemot, N., Amand, M. (2005). A general approach to length-weight relationships for New Caledonian lagoon fishes. Cybium. 29: 235-252.
- Kurup, B.M., Samuel, C.T. (1987). Length-weight relationship and relative condition factor in Daysciaena albida (Cuv.) and Gerres filamentosus (Cuv.). Fish Technology. 24: 88-92.
- Le Cren, E.D. (1951). The length-weight relationship and seasonal cycle in gonad weight and condition in the perch (Perca fluviatilis). Journal of Animal Ecology. 20: 201-209.
- Martin, W.R. (1949). Mechanics of environmental control of body form in fishes. Univ. Toronto. Stud. BioI., 58, The University of Toronto Press, Toronto.
- Martin, P., Kuppan, A., Kalaichelvi, N. (2016). Length-weight relationship of pelagic marine fishes in east coastal region, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. International Journal of Current Research in Biology and Medicine. 1: 1-7.
- Mendes, B., Fonseca, P., Campos, A. (2004). Weight-length relationships for 46 fish species of the Portuguese west coast. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 20: 355-361.
- Moutopoulos, D.K., Stergiou, K.I. (2002). Length-weight and length-length relationships of fish species from the Aegean Sea (Greece). Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 18: 200-203.
- Putranto, T.W.C., Saleh, M., Soegianto, A. (2019). Length-weight relationships of fish species caught by seine net from the northern waters of Madura Island, Indonesia. Ecology Environment and Conservation. 25: S67-S69.
- Renuka, G., Bhat, U.G. (2011). Length-weight relationship of whip fin silver biddy Gerres filamentosus (Cuvier) from Sharavathi estuary, central west coast of India. Recent Research in Science and Technology. 3: 75-79.
- Sivashanthini, K., Khan, S.A. (2004). Population dynamics of silver biddy Gerres setifer (Pisces: Perciformes) in the Parangipettai waters, southeast coast of India. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences. 33: 346-354.
- Snedecor, G.W., Cochran, W.G. (1967). Statistical methods, 6th edn. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi.
- Sivashanthini, K.,Adeyrami, B. (2003). Length-weight relationship condition of a silvery biddy Gerres oblongus (Pisces: Perciformes) from the Jaffna lagoon, Sri Lanka. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences. 32: 252-254.
- Sivashanthini, K. (2008). Length-weight relationships and condition of gerreids (Pisces: Gerreidae) from the Parangipettai waters (SE coast of India). Asian Fisheries Science. 21: 405-419.
- Thiep, V.V., Yen, T.T., Binh, N.T.H., Tam, H.N. (2014). Growth characteristics of fish species Gerres filamentosus (Cuvier, 1829) in coastal zone, Quang Binh province. Journal of Vietnamese Environment. 6: 184-187.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.