Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of Dietary Enrichment with Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids on Blood Metabolites, Hormone Concentration and Ovarian Function in Sahiwal Heifers
First Online 15-05-2021|
Methods: Eighteen heifers of 18.33±1.14 months of age and 194±4.16 kg of mean body weight were randomly assigned to 3 diets and individually fed as per ICAR (2013) diets. The diets include chopped wheat straw, green fodder and concentrate mixture containing either (i) no added PUFA rich oil but palm oil @ 3.5% (PO; n=6); (ii) 3.5% added soybean oil as ω-6 FA source (SO; n=6); or (iii) 3.5% added linseed oil as ω-3 FA source (LO; n=6).
Result: SO increased (P<0.05) the plasma concentration of ω-6 FA while LO increased (P<0.05) the plasma ω-3 FA. Plasma glucose, triglyceride and non-esterified fatty acid (NEFA) concentrations was not affected due to different diets. Plasma total cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol were significantly higher (P<0.05) in SO and LO in comparison to PO. However, LDL-cholesterol was at par among all the treatments. Growth Hormone (GH) was not influenced due to different types of oil in heifers’ concentrate mixture. Insulin concentration increased (P<0.05) in LO compared to others. IGF-1 was statistically higher (P<0.05) in SO and LO as compared to CON, which among themselves also varied significantly. Plasma progesterone concentration at day 12 post estrous was higher (P<0.05) in LO. PUFA rich oil supplementation in the concentrate mixture of heifers (SO and LO) increased (P<0.05) the size of the ovulatory follicles as well as size of CL. It was inferred that feeding PUFA rich oil to pre-pubertal Sahiwal heifer’s results in advantageous changes in the blood metabolites, plasma hormones and ovarian functions.
- Ambrose, D.J., Kastelic, J.P., Corbett, R., Pitney, P.A., Petit, H.V., Small, J.A. and Zalkovic, P. (2006). Lower pregnancy losses in lactating dairy cows fed a diet enriched in α-Linolenic acid. J. Dairy Sci. 89: 3066-3074.
- AOAC (2005). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Official Methods of Analysis (20th ed.). Gaitherburg, Madison, USA.
- Bellows, R.A. and Hall, J.B. (1996). Physiology and Management of the Replacement Heifer. In: Animal Science Research and Development, Meeting Future Challenges. [L.M. Rode (ed.)], Proc. Canadian Soc. Anim. Sci. Lethbridge Res. Centre, Lethbridge, Alberta. pp: 217"234.
- Bilby, T.R., Sozzi, A., Lopez, M.M., Silvestre, F.T., Ealy, A.D., Staples, C.R. and Thatcher, W.W. (2006). Pregnancy, bovine somatotropin and dietary n-3 fatty acids in lactating dairy cows: I. ovarian, conceptus and growth hormone-insulin-like growth factor system responses. J. Dairy Sci. 89(9): 3360- 3374.
- Castellano, C.A., Audet, I., Bailey, J.L., Chouinard, P.Y., Laforest, J.P. and Matte, J.J. (2010). Effect of dietary n-3 fatty acids (fish oils) on boar reproduction and semen quality. J. Anim. Sci. 88(7): 2346-2355.
- Childs, S., Carter, F., Lynch, C.O., Sreenan, J.M., Lonergan, P., Hennessy, A.A. and Kenny, D.A. (2008a). Embryo yield and quality following dietary supplementation of beef heifers with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA). Theriogenology. 70: 992-1003.
- Childs, S., Lynch, C.O., Hennessy, A.A., Stanton, C., Wathes, D.C., Sreenan, J.M., Diskin M.G. and Kenny, D.A. (2008b). Effect of dietary enrichment with either n-3 or n-6 fatty acids on systemic metabolite and hormone concentration and ovarian function in heifers. Animal. 2(6): 883-893.
- Dirandeh, E., Towhidi, A., Ansari, P.Z., Adib H.F., Ganjkhanlou, M., Zeinoaldini, S., Rezaei, R.A., Saberifar, T. and Petit, H.V. (2013). Plasma concentrations of PGFM and uterine and ovarian responses in early lactation dairy cows fed omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Theriogenology. 80: 131-137.
- Dirandeh, E., Towhidi, A., Zeinoaldini, S., Ganjkhanlou, M., Ansari, P.Z. and Fouladi-Nashta, A. (2014). Effects of different polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementations during the postpartum periods of early lactating dairy cows on milk yield, metabolic responses and reproductive performances. J. Anim. Sci. 91: 713-721.
- Folch, J., Lees, M. and Stanley, G.H.S. (1957). A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226(1): 497-509.
- Gandra, J.R., Verdurico, L.C., Mingoti, R.D., Takiya, C.S., Gardinal, R., Vendramini, T.H.A., Barletta, R.V., Visintin, J.A. and Renno, F.P. (2017). Whole flaxseed, raw soybeans and calcium salts of fatty acids supplementation for transition cows: follicle development and embryo quality. Italian J. Anim. Sci. 16(4): 538-545.
- García, M.R., Amstalden, M., Morrison, C.D., Keisler, D.H., Williams, D.H. (2003). Age at puberty, total fat and conjugated linoleic acid content of carcass and circulating metabolic hormones in beef heifers fed a diet high in linoleic acid beginning at four months of age. J. Anim. Sci. 81: 261-268.
- Ghasemzadeh-Nava, H., Fatahnia, F., Nikkhah, A. and Zamiri, M.J. (2011). Effects of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids on ovarian function and prostaglandin secretion in lactating dairy cows. Int. J. Vet. Res. 5(2): 129-135.
- ICAR (2013). Nutrient requirement of cattle and buffalo. Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi.
- Ilatsia, E. D., Roessler, R., Kahi, A.K., Piepho, H.P. and Zarate, V. (2011). Production objectives and breeding goals of Sahiwal cattle keepers in Kenya and implications for a breeding programme. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. DOI: 10.1007/s11250-011-9928-8.
- Khoshvaght, A., Towhidi, A., Zare-shahneh, A., Noruozi, M., Zhandi, M., Davachi, N.D., Karimi, R.(2016). Dietary n-3 PUFAs improve fresh andpost-thaw semen quality in Holstein bulls via alteration of spermfatty acid composition. Theriogenology. 1-6.
- Kramer, C.Y. (1957). Extension of Multiple range tests to group correlated adjusted means. Biometrics. 13: 13-18.
- Len, T.V., Malla, B.A., Sharma, A.N., Kumar, S., Tyagi, N. and Tyagi, A.K. (2016). Effect of different bypass fat sources on nutrient utilization, blood parameters and growth in male murrah buffalo calves. Indian J. Anim. Nutr. 33(4): 376-382.
- Mendoza, A., Crespi, D., Hernandez, A., Roura, N., Valentin, H., La Manna, A. andCavestany, D. (2011). Effect of dietary supplementation with fish oil during the transition period on milk production, plasma metabolites and postpartum anoestrus interval in grazing dairy cows. Anim. Prod. Sci. 51: 481-489.
- Park, P.W. and Goins, R.E. (1994). In situ preparation of fatty acid methyl esters for analysis of fatty acid composition in foods. J. Food Sci. 59: 1262-1266.
- Petit, H.V., Dewhurst, R.J., Scollan, N.D., Proulx, J.G., Khalid, M., Haresign, W., Twagiramungu, H. and Mann, G.E.(2002). Milk production and composition, ovarian function and prostaglandin secretion of dairy cows fed omega-3 fats. J. Dairy Sci. 85: 889-899.
- Ryan, D.P., Bao, B., Griffith, M.K. and Williams, G.L. (1995). Metabolic and luteal sequelae to heightened dietary fat intake in undernourished, anestrous beef cows induced to ovulate. J. Anim. Sci. 73: 2086-2093.
- Ryan, D.P., Spoon, R.A. and Williams, G.L. (1992). Ovarian follicular characteristics, embryo recovery and embryo viability in heifers fed high-fat diets and treated with follicle-stimulating hormone. J. Anim. Sci. 70: 3505-3513.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods. 8th edition, Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA-50010.
- Staples, C.R., Burke, J.M. and Thatcher, W.W. (1998). Influence of supplemental fats on reproductive tissues and performance of lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 81: 856-71.
- Thatcher, W.W., Bilby, T., Staples, C.R., MacLaren, L. and Santos, J. (2004). Effects of polyunsaturated fatty acids on reproductive processes in cattle. Proc. 19th Annu. SW Nutr. Manag. Conf., Tempe, AZ. Pages 1–28.
- Thomas, M.G., Bao, B. and Williams, G.L. (1997). Dietary fats varying in their fatty acid composition differentially influence follicular growth in cows fed isoenergetic diets. J. Anim. Sci. 75: 2512-2519.
- Tran, L.V., Malla, B.A., Sharma, A.N., Kumar, S., Tyagi, N. and Tyagi, A.K. (2016). Effect of omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acidenriched diet on plasma IGF-1 and testosteroneconcentration, puberty and semen quality in male buffalo. Anim. Reproduction Sci. 173: 63-72.
- Webb, R., Gong, J.G., Law, A.S. and Rusbridge, S.M. (1992) Control of ovarian function in cattle. J. Reprod. Fertility Supplement. 45: 141-156.
- Westwood, C.T., Lean, I.J. and Garvin, J.K. (2002) Factors influencing fertility of Holstein dairy cows: A multivariate description. J. Dairy Sci. 85: 3225-3237.
- Whitney, M.B., Hess, B.W., Burgwald-Balstad L.A., Sayer, J.L., Tsopito, C.M., Talbott, C.T. and Hallford, D.M. (2000). Effects of supplemental soybean oil level on in vitro digestion and performance of prepubertal beef heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 78: 504-514.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.