Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effects of plantago major extract on serum protein fractions in broiler diet
First Online 30-04-2016|
The aim of this study was to determine the effects of Plantago major’s (P.major) water extract added into broiler diets at different levels on serum protein fractions. A total of 112 Ross 308 broiler chicks were used in the study. Experiment consisted of control and 3 treatment groups with a 28 chicks within each group. Each experimental group was divided into four subgroups consisting of 4 chicks. A basal (control) diet was prepared and three experimental diets were established by addition of P.major into basal diet; P.major 1 (5 g/kg feed), P.major 2 (10 g/kg feed), P.major 3 (15 g/kg feed). Broiler chicks were fed with these diets for 42 days ad libitum. Total protein levels of P.major 3 group were lower than other groups and controls. It was determined that the albumin percentages and levels became decreased in a significant ratio in the P.major 1 and P.major 2, (P<0,05), Alpha 1 globulin percentage and concentration were found significantly high in P.major 2 group than the other groups (P<0.05), Alpha 2 level and percentage in P.major 1 group was seen significantly higher than the control group, the A/G ratio in P.major 1 and P.major 2 was seen significantly lower than the control group. There was no significant difference between groups for beta and gamma globulins as percentage.
- Adkins J.N., Varnum, S.M., Auberry, K.J., Moore, R.J., Angell, N.H., Smith, R.D., Springer, D.L. and Pounds, J.G. (2002). Toward a Human Blood Serum Proteome: Analysis by multidimensional separation coupled with mass spectrometry. Mol Cell Proteomics, 1: 947–955.
- Akram M., Hamid A., Khalil A., Ghaffar A., Tayyaba N., Saeed A., Ali M., Naveed A. (2014). Review on medicinal uses, pharmacological, phytochemistry and immunomodulatory activity of plants. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol, 27:313-319.
- Ball A., (2000). The new research in poultry feeding after the ban of growth promoters. V. Uluslararasi Yem Kongresi ve Fuari, Antalya, 87-93.
- Basaran A.A., Ceritoglu, I., Undeger, U. and Basaran, N. (1997). Immunomodulatory activities of some Turkish medicinal plants. Phytother Res, 11: 609-611.
- Bingol N.T., Karsli, M.A., Aldemir, R., Yilmaz, O. and Türel, I. (2010). Etçi Piliçlerin Yemlerine Katilan Plantago Major Extraktýnýn Performans ve Karkas Özellikleri Üzerine Etkisi. YYU Vet Fak Derg, 21:49-53.
- Buchanan N.P., Hott, J.M., Cutlip, S.E., Rack, A.L., Asamer, A. and Moritz, J.S. (2008). The Effects of a natural antibiotic alternative and a natural growth promoter feed additive on broiler performance and carcass quality. J Appl Poult Res, 17:202-210.
- Campos A.M. and Lissi, E.A. (1995). Evaluation of the antioxidant capacity of herbal teas by a procedure based on the bleaching of ABTS Radical Cations. Bol Soc Chil Quim, 40: 375-381.
- Chiang L.C., Chiang W., Chang M.Y., Lin C.C. (2003). In vitro cytotoxic, antiviral and immunomodulatory effects of Plantago major and Plantago asiatica. Am J Chin Med, 31:225-234.
- Chung M.J., Park K.W., Kim K.H., Kim C.T., Baek J.P., Bang K.H., Choi Y.M., Lee S.J. (2008). Asian plantain (Plantago asiatica) essential oils suppress 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-co-enzyme A reductase expression in vitro and in vivo and show hypocholesterolaemic properties in mice. Br J Nutr. 99:67-75.
- Dorhoi A., Dobrean, V., Zãhan, M. and Virag, P. (2006). Modulatory effects of several herbal extracts on avian peripheral blood cell immune responses. 20: 352-358.
- Erstad B.L. (1996). Viral Infectivity of Albumin and Plasma Protein Fraction. Pharmacotherapy, 16: 996-1001.
- Gomez-Flores R., Calderon, C.L., Scheibel, L.W., Tamez-Guerra, P., Rodriguez-Padilla, C., Tamez-Guerra, R. and Weber, R.J. (2000). Immunoenhancing Properties of Plantago major Leaf Extract. Phytother Res, 14: 617-622.
- Guillen M.E.N., Emim, J.A.S., Souccar, C. and Lapa, A.J. (1997). Analgesic and Antiinflamatory Activities of the Aqueous Extract of Plantago major L. Int J Pharmacognosy, 35:99-104.
- Gungor O., Sunar, B., Ozcelik, F., Aktas, Z. and Gokmen, S. (2004). Sialic acid levels in acute myocardial infarction and the relationship with ceruloplasmin. Turk J Biochem, 29:226-231.
- Hosein Farzaei M., Abbasabadi, Z., Reza Shams-Ardekani, M., Abdollahi, M. and Rahimi, R. (2014). A comprehensive review of plants and their active constituents with wound healing activity in traditional Iranian medicine. Wounds, 26:197-206.
- Jacobs J.M., Adkins, J.N., Qian, W.J., Liu, T. and Shen, Y., Camp, D.G. II and Smith, R.D. (2005). Utilizing human blood plasma for proteomic biomarker discovery. J Proteome Res, 4:1073–1085.
- Karagul H., Altintas, A., Fidanci, U.R. and Sel, T. (2000). Clinical Biochemistry. Medisan Inc. Ankara, p. 161-164.
- Manojlovic Z., Kopitar, Z., Lenardic, A. and Plavsic, F. (1993). Changes in plasma proteins and drug distribution in kidney and liver diseases. Lijec Vjesn, 115:366-369.
- Matsuura N., Aradate, T., Kurosaka, C., Ubukata, M., Kittaka, S., Nakaminami, Y., Gamo, K., Kojima, H. and Ohara, M. (2014).. Potent protein glycation inhibition of plantagoside in Plantago Major Seeds. Biomed Res Int, (http:// dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/208539).
- Mehmetoglu I. (2002). Clinical Biochemistry Manual. Inci Dizgi, Konya, p. 124-129.
- Metzler D.E. and Metzler, C.M. (2003). Biochemistry: the Chemical Reactions of Living Cells, Academic Press, 2nd. Ed. pp: 58.
- Murray R.K. Plasma proteins and Immunoglobulins. Chapter 50, In: Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry, Murray R.K., Granner D.K., Mayes P.A. and V.W. Radwell editors. 26th edition, Mc Graw Hill Co., 2003, p. 580-2.
- NRC (1994). Nutrient requirement of poultry. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Onat T., Kaya, E. and Sözmen, E.Y. (2002). Insan Biyokimyasi, Palme Yayincilik, Ankara, 184–218.
- Pirgozliev V., Murphy, T.C., Owens, B., George, J. and McCann, M.E.E. (2008). Fumaric and sorbic acid as additives in broiler Feed. Res Vet Sci, 84:387-394
- Prinsen B., Monique, G.M. and Velden, S. (2004). Albumin Turnover: Experimental approach and its application in health and renal diseases. Clin Chim Acta, 347:1-14.
- Ravn H. and Brimer, L. (1988). Structure and antibacterial activity of plantamajoside, a caffeic acid sugar ester from Plantago Major Subsp. Major. Phytochemistry, 27:3433-3437.
- Samuelsen A.B. (2000). The traditional uses, chemical constituents and biological activities of Plantago Major L: Review. J Ethnopharmacol, 71:1-21.
- Turgut K. (2000). Veteriner Klinik Laboratuar Teshis, Gelistirilmis 2. Baski, Bahçivanlar Basim Sanayi, Konya; pp: 496.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.