Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of duck diet supplemented with fermented seaweed wastes on carcass characteristics and production efficiency of indigenous Indonesian ducks
First Online 02-08-2016|
Gracilaria sp is as eaweed with carbohydrate-rich wastes. Its symbiont, Brotia sp,is rich in calcium and protein. The effects of Gracilaria’s wastes (GW) as formulated feed supplement on carcass characteristics and production efficiency of local Indonesian ducks. Data were collected from 120 ducks fed either a basal dietor a fermented Gracilaria’s wastes supplemented diet (FGW). Treatment levels of FGW were 10%, 12.5%, and 15%. The highest level of meat antioxidant status was reached at 15% FGW, while the optimum level of FGW for decreasing the fat content was 12.5%. The best reduction in meat fat mass was at 15% FGW. Further more, duck feed with FGW resulted in lower average and normalized costs and increased income than observed with the basal diet. Thus, GW as a feed supplement effectively ameliorated the productivity and carcass quality of indigenous Indonesian ducks.
- Adzitey, F., and Adzitey, S.P. (2011). Duck production: has a potential to reduce poverty among rural households in Asian communities – A Review. Journal World’s Poultry Research 1: 7–10.
- Alamsjah, M.A. and Prayogo. (2014). Nutrient content from Gracilaria sp. waste as biofertilizer on intensive aquaculture with aquaponic system. Journal of Natural Sciences Research 4 (21).
- Ali, S. Md., Kang, G., Yang, H., Jeong, J., Hwang, Y., Park, G and Joo, S. 2007. A comparison of meat characteristics between duck and chicken breast. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci 20:1002 – 1006.
- Alonso, B.O., Colmonero, F.J., and Muniz, F.J.S. (2013). Development and assessment of healthy properties of meat and meat products designed as functional foods. Meat Science 95: 919–930
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. (1999). Official Methods of Analysis. AOAC, Washington, DC.
- Baeza, E., Salichonm, M. R., Marche, G., Wacrenier, N., Dominguez, B and Culioli, J. (2000). Effects of age and sex on the structural, chemical and technological characteristics of mule duck meat. British Poultry Science 41: 300–307
- Baeza, E., Dessay, C., Wazrenier N., Marche, G and Listrat, A. (2002). Effect of selection for improved body weight and composition on muscle and meat characteristics in Muscovy duck. British Poultry Science 43: 560–568.
- Cobos, A., Veiga, A., and Diaz, O. (2000). Chemical and fatty acid composition of meat and liver of wild ducks (Anasplatyrhynchos). Food Chemistry 68: 77–79
- Dawson, B., and Trap, R.G. (2001). Basic and Clinical Biostatistics. 3rd ed., Lange Medical Books/McGrawHill Medical Publishing Division, New York.
- El-Sayed, W.M., Hussin, W.A., Mahmoud, A.A. and AlFredan, M.A. (2013). The Conyzatriloba extracts with high chlorophyll content and free radical scavenging activity had anticancer activity in cell lines. BioMed Research International 1–11
- Fasseas, M.K., Mountzouris, K.C., Tarantilis, P.A., Polissiou, M., and Zervas, G. (2008). Antioxidant activity in meat treated with oregano and sage essential oils. Food Chemistry 106: 1188%1194.
- Frobose, H.L.,Sulabo, R. C., DeRouchey, J. M., Ryder, D., Tockach, M. D., Dritz, S. S., Goodband, R. D and Nelssen, J. L. (2014). The effects of diet blending and feed budgeting on finishing pig growth performance, carcass characteristics, and economic return. Professional Animal Scientist 30: 4375–392
- Ge, L., Wang, P., and Mou, H. (2011). Study on saccharification techniques of seaweedwastes for the transformation of ethanol. Renewable Energy 36: 84–89.
- General Directory of Animal Husbandry. (2013). Population and production of farm animal in Indonesia. Available at: http://www.pertanian.go.id/Indikator/tabel-4-pop-prod-nak.pdfwith original title Populasi dan produksi peternakan di Indonesia. Last accessed 05/09/2015.
- Mensor, L.L., Menezez, F. S., Leitao, G. G., Reis, A. S., Santos dos, T. C., Coube, C. S., Leitao, S. G. (2001). Screening of brazilian plant extracts for antioxidant activity by the use of DPPH free radical method. Phytotherapy Research 15 : 127%130.
- Poon, K., and Weersink, A. (2011). Factors affecting variability in farm and off farm income. Agricultural Finance Review. 71: 379–- 397
- Reddy, D.V. (2001). Applied nutrition: Livestock, poultry, pets, rabbits and laboratory animals (English) 2nd edition. New Delhi, India: Oxford & IBH-Pubs Company.
- Reimer, R.A., Maurer, A. D., Eller, L. K., Hallam, M. C., Shaykhutdinoy, R., Vogel, H. J and Weljie, A. M. (2012). Satiety hormone and metabolomic response to an intermittent high energy diet differs in rats consuming long-term diets high in protein or prebiotic fiber. J. Proteome Res 11: 4065–4074.
- Rokhani, A.F. (2011). Let is save Pengging duck. Germ plasma in the District of Boyolali. Available at: http:// cybex.deptan.go.id/lokalita/a yo-selamatkan-iti k -penggings e b u a h - p l a s m a - n u t f a h - d i - kabupaten- boyolali. Last accessed 05/09/2015.
- Tang, J.C., Taniguchi, H., Zhou, Q., and Nagata, S. (2009). Isolation and characterization of alginate-degrading bacteria for disposal of seaweed wastes. Letters in Applied Microbiology 48: 38–43
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Nutritional data base. Agricultural Research Service. Available at: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/index.html. Last accessed 11/23/2014
- Wang, Y.Z, Xu, Z.R.,and Feng, J. (2004). The effect of betaine and dl-methionine on growth performance and carcass characteristics in meat ducks. Anim Feed Sci Tech 116:151%159.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.