Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effects of probiotics dietary supplementation on growth performance, innate immunity and digestive enzymes of silver pomfret, Pampus argenteus
First Online 30-04-2016|
The effects of dietary probiotics on growth performance, innate immunity and digestive enzymes of silver pomfret were investigated. Compared to the control, diets supplemented with Bacillus subtilis, Lactobacillus plantarum and Clostridium butyricum caused significant improvements of growth performance, including final weight, weight gain, specific growth rate and feed conversion rate. A better growth performance among probiotic treatments was obtained in fish fed B. subtilis. To reveal the effects of these three probiotics on innate immunity of silver pomfret, lysozyme activity, SOD activity and IgM concentrations were examined. Results showed that silver pomfret fed diets containing C. butyricum, L. plantarum and B. subtilis had led to an enhanced innate response, notably higher lysozyme activity, SOD activity and IgM concentrations, as recorded after 30 and 60 days of feeding. In addition, study of different digestive enzymes viz lipase, protease and amylase activities showed significant higher values in fish fed the probiotic diets in comparison to the untreated group. These findings demonstrated that administration of C. butyricum, L. plantarum and B. subtilis can improve growth performance through enhanced immune response and digestive enzyme activity in silver pomfret. Furthermore, the B. subtilis is highly recommended as dietary probiotics in silver pomfret.
- Arndt, R.E., Wagner, E.J. (2007). Wagner. Enriched artemia and probiotic diets improve survival of Colorado River cutthroat trout larvae and fry. N. Am. J. Aquacult. 69: 190-196.
- Ai, Q.H., Xu, H.G., Mai, K.S., Xu,W., Wang, J., Zhang, W.B. (2011). Effects of dietary supplementation of Bacillus subtilis and fructooligosaccharide on growth performance, survival, non-specific immune response and disease resistance of juvenile large yellow croaker, Larimichthys crocea. Aquaculture. 317: 155-161.
- Alexander, J.B., Ingram, G.A. (1992). Noncellular non-specific defense mechanisms of fish. Ann. Rev. Fish. Dis. 2: 249-279.
- Balcázar, J.L., de Blas, I., Ruiz-Zarzuela, I., Cunningham, D., Vendrell, D., Múzquiz, J.L. (2006). The role of probiotics in aquaculture. Vet. Microbiol. 114: 173-186.
- Cha, J.H., Rahimnejad, S., Yang, S.Y., Kim, K.W., Lee, K.J. (2013). Evaluations of Bacillus spp. as dietary additives on growth performance, innate immunity and disease resistance of olive flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus) against Streptococcus iniae and as water additives. Aquaculture. 402-403: 50-57.
- Giri, S.S., Sukumaran, V., Oviya, M. (2013). Potential probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum VSG3 improves the growth, immunity, and disease resistance of tropical freshwater fish, Labeo rohita. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 34: 660-666.
- Merrifield, D.L., Bradley, G., Baker, R.T.M., Davies, S.J. (2010). Probiotic applications for rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss Walbaum). Aquacult. Nutr. 16: 496-503.
- Nayak, S.K., 2010. Probiotics and immunity: A fish perspective. Fish Shellfish Immun. 29: 2-14.
- Naylor. R.L., Goldburg, R.J., Primavera, J.H., Kautsky, N., Beveridge, M.C., Clay, J., Folke, C., Lubchenco, J., Mooney H, Troell, M. (2000). Effect of aquaculture on world fish supplies. Nature. 405: 1017-1024.
- Panigrahi, A., Kiron, V., Kobayashi, T., Puangkaew, J., Satoh, S., Sugita, H. (2005). The viability of probiotic as a factor influencing the immune response in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. Aquaculture. 243: 241-253.
- Peng, S.M., Chen. X.Z, Shi, Z.H., Yin, F., Sun, P. (2012a). Survival of Juvenile Silver Pomfret, Pampus argenteus, Kept in Transport Conmditions in Different Densities and Temperatures. ISR. J. Aquacult-Bamid. 64: 1- 6.
- Peng, S.M., Zhao, Z.H., Yin, F., Gao, Q.X., Sun, P., Wang, J.G. (2013). Eûect of high-dose vitamin C supplementation on growth, tissue ascorbic acidconcentrations and physiological response to transportation stress in juvenile silverpomfret, Pampus argenteus. J. Appl. Ichthyol. 29: 1337-1341.
- Peng, S.M., Zhao, Z.H., Yin, F., Sun, P., Wang, J.G. (2012b). Selection of diet for culture of juvenile silver pomfret, Pampus argenteus. Chin. J. Oceanol. Limnol. 30: 231-236.
- Shi, Z.H., Huang, X.X., Fu, R.B., Wang, H.Q., Luo, H.Z., Chen, B., Liu, M.H., Zhang, D. (2008). Salinity stress on embryos and early larval stages of the pomfretPampus punctatissimus. Aquaculture. 275: 306-310.
- Song, Z.F., Wu, T.X., Cai, L.S., Zhang, L.J., Zheng, X.D. (2006). Effects of dietary supplementation with Clostridium butyricum on the growth performance and humoral immune responese in Miichthys miiuy. J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci B. 7: 596-602.
- Sun, Y.Z., Xia, H.Q., Yang, H.L., Wang, Y.L., Zou, W.C. (2014). TLR2 signaling may play a key role in the probiotic modulation of intestinal microbiota in grouper Epinephelus coioides. Aquaculture. 430: 50-56.
- Sun, Y.Z., Yang, H.L., Ma, R.L., Lin, W.Y. (2010). Probiotic applicarions of two dominantgut Bacillus strains with antagonistic activity impoved the growth performanceand immune responses of grouper Epinephelus coioides. Fish Shellfish Immun. 29: 803-809.
- Telli, G.S., Ranzani-Paiva, M.J.T., Dias, D.D., Sussel, F.R., Ishikawa, C.M., Tachibana, L. (2014). Dietary administration of Bacillus subtilis on hematology and non-specific immunity of Nile tilapia Oreochromis niloticus raised at different stocking densities. Fish Shellfish Immun. 39: 305-311.
- Tseng, D.Y., Ho, P.L., Huang, S.Y., Cheng, S.C., Shiu, Y.L., Chiu, C.S., Liu, C.H. (2009). Enhancement of immunity and disease resistance in the white shrimp, Litopenaeusvannamei, by the probiotic, Bacillus subtilis E20. Fish Shellfish Immun. 26: 339-344.
- Wang, Y.B. (2007). Effect of probiotics on growth performance and digestive enzyme activity of the shrimp Penaeus vannamei. Aquaculture. 269: 259-264.
- Xing, M.X., Hou, Z.H., Qu, Y.M., Liu, B. (2014). Enhancing the culturability of bacteria from the gastrointestinal tract of farmed adult turbot Scophthalmus maximus. Chin. J. Oceanol. Limnol. 32: 316-325.
- Yin, F., Peng, S.M., Sun, P., Shi, Z.H. (2011). Effects of low salinity on antioxidant enzymes activities in kidney and muscle of juvenile silver pomfret Pampus argenteus. Acta Ecologica Sincia. 31: 55-60.
- Zhang Q, Ma H M, Mai K S, Zhang W B, Liufu Z G, Xu W. (2010). Interaction of dietary Bacillus subtilis and fructooligosaccharide on the growth performance, non-specific immunity of sea cucumber. Apostichopus japonicas. Fish Shellfish Immun. 29: 204-211.
- Zhang, Q., Yu, H.R., Tong, T., Tong, W.P., Dong, L.F., Xu, M.Z., Wang, Z.C. (2014). Dietary supplementation of Bacillus subtilis and fructooligosaccharide enhance the growth, non-specific immunity of juvenile ovate pompano, Trachinotus ovatus and its disease resistance against Vibrio vulnificus. Fish Shellfish Immun. 38: 7-14.
- Zokaeifar, H., Balcázar, J.L., Saad, C.R., Kamarudin, M.S., Sijam, K., Arshad, A., Nejat, N. (2012). Effects of Bacillus subtilis on the growth performance, digestive enzymes, immune gene expression and disease resistance of white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei. Fish Shellfish Immun. 33: 683-689.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.