Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Influence of weaning on growth, health and behaviour of Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) calves
First Online 17-07-2018|
- Boonbrahm, N., Peters, K.J. and Intisang, W. (2004). The influence of calf rearing methods and milking methods on performance traits of crossbred dairy cattle in Thailand. 1. Milk yield and udder health. Arch. Tierz. Dummerstorf. 47:211-224.
- Boonbrahm, N., Peters, K.J. and Intisang, W. (2004). The influence of calf rearing methods and milking methods on performance traits of crossbred dairy cattle in Thailand. 2. Reproductive performance and cow body weight. Arch. Tierz. Dummerstorf. 47: 303-312.
- Boonbrahm, N., Peters, K.J. and Kijora, C. (2004). The influence of calf rearing methods and milking methods on performance traits of crossbred dairy cattle in Thailand. 3. Calf performance. Arch. Tierz. Dummerstorf. 5: 405-414.
- Enriquez, D.H., Ungerfeld, R., Quintans, G., Guidoni, A.L. and Hötzel, M.J. (2010). The effects of alternative weaning methods on behaviour in beef calves. Livest Sci. 128:20-27.
- Foulkes, D. (2005). Management of orphaned or weaned buffalo calves. www.nt.gov.au/dpifm
- Froberg, S., Gratte, E., Sjaunja, K.S., Olsson, I., Berg, C., Orihuela, A., Galina, C.S., Garcia L. and Lidfors, L. (2008). Effect of suckling (‘restricted suckling’) on dairy cows udder health and milk let-down and their calves weight gain, feed intake and behaviour. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 113:1–14.
- Hagberg, MS. (2003). Introduction to buffaloes. www.milkproduction.com pp. 1-6.
- Haley, K.J. and Fessler, D.M. (2005). Nobody’s watching Subtle cues affect generosity in an anonymous economic game. Evol Hum Behav. 26:245-256.
- Khan, M. F., and Preston, T. R. (1992). Effect of restricted suckling on performance of shorthorn and sahiwal cows and calves in Pakistan. Livest. Res. Rural .Dev, 4(2), 105.
- Kumar, A. (2014). Influence of weaning on the performance and behaviour of calves and their dams in Murrah buffaloes. Ph. D. Thesis, Deemed University, NDRI, Karnal.
- Lynch, E. M., Earley, B., McGee, M. and Doyle, S. (2010). Effect of abrupt weaning at housing on leukocyte distribution, functional activity of neutrophils, and acute phase protein response of beef calves. BMC Vet. Res. 6:39.
- McEwan, A. D., Fisher, E. W. and Selman, I. E. (1970). Observations on the immune globulin levels of neonatal calves and their relationship to disease. J. Comparative Patho., 80(2), 259-265.
- Mejia, C. E., Preston, T. R. and . Fajersson P. (1998). Effects of restricted suckling versus artificial rearing on milk production, calf performance and reproductive efficiency of dual purpose Mpwapwa cattle in a semi-arid climate. Livestock Res. Rural Dev., 10: 1.
- Price, E.O., Harris, J.E., Borgwardt, R.E., Sween, M.L. and Connor, J.M. (2003). Fenceline contact of beef calves with their dams at weaning reduces the negative effects of separation on behavior and growth rate. J. Anim. Sci. 81:116-121.
- Roth, B.A., Barth, K., Gyagax, L. and Hillmann, E. (2009). Influence of artificial vs. mother- bonded rearing on sucking behaviour, health and weight gain in calves. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 119:143–150.
- Roth, B.A., Schuler, U., Keil, N.M. and Hillmann, E. (2007). Influence of housing conditions on cross-sucking in calves. Curr. Res. Appl. Ethol. KTBL Darmstadt. 461:222–223.
- Sanh, M.V., Preston, T.R. and Fajersson, P. (1997). Effects of restricted suckling versus artificial rearing on performance and fertility of Bos taurus and Bos indicus cows and calves in Tanzania. Livest. Res. Rural Dev. 6:6
- Selman I. E., Fisher, G. H. De La., E.W. and McEwan, A.D. (1971). The serum immune globulin concentrations of newborn dairy heifer calves: a farm survey. Vet. Rec. 88: 460-464.
- Smijisha, A. S. (2007). Effect of methods of feeding and individual housing on growth and health status of buffalo calves (Doctoral dissertation, NDRI, Karnal).
- Smijisha, A.S and Kamboj, M.L. (2007). Colostrum intake of weaned Murrah Buffalo calves reared under different Management Practices. Tamilnadu J. Veterinary & Animal Sciences 8 (1): 42-44.
- Smijisha, A.S. and Kamboj, M.L. (2010). Health status and growth performance of weaned Murrah buffalo calves reared under different management practices. J. Ind. Vet. Assoc. 9:2.
- Smijisha, A.S. and Kamboj, M.L. (2012). Colostrum intake of weaned buffalo calves reared under different management practices. Tamil Nadu J. Vet. Sci. 8:42–44.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical Methods. Oxford and IBH Publications, New Delhi.
- SPSS, (1996). Statistical Software Package for the Social Sciences. SPSS Int., USA.
- Stafford, K.J., Mellor, D.J. and Corner, R. (2005). Suckling behavior of hand reared new born dairy calves. New Zealand Vet. J. 53:246–48.
- Stott, G.H., Marx, D.B., Menefee, B.E. and Nightengale, G.T. (1997). Colostral immunoglobulin transfer in calves. IV. Effect of suckling. J. Dairy Sci. 62:1908-1913.
- Trevisan, M., Browne, R., Ram, M., Muti, P., Freudenheim, J., Carosella, A. N. and Armstrong, D. (2001). Correlates of markers of oxidative status in the general population. Am. J. Epidemiol. 154:348-356.
- Yilma, Z., Gojjam, Y. and Shumye, M. (2006). Milk production level and calf-rearing system affecting Boran, Ethiopian zebu cattle breed, cow-calf performance. Livest. Res. Rural .Dev, 18(5).
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.