Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of slaughter weight on production and meat quality of Juema pig
First Online 05-02-2016|
Juema pig, a native pig in China, is produced in Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and recognized as a national animal conservation germplasm. In this study, production performance, slaughter weight and meat quality of the Juema pig slaughtered at different slaughter weights (25, 30, 35, 40 and 45kg) were determined in order to explore the relationship between meat quality and body weight. The results showed that the dressing percentage was the highest (66.13%) at 40kg slaughter weight. Pork quality analysis showed that the range of meat pH1 was 6.30 to 6.50; marbling scores ranged from 3.50 to 4.05. The amino acid content of main flavor was the highest (23.91%), and the ratio of unsaturated to saturated fatty acids was the highest (1.30) at 40kg slaughter weight. The gray correlation comprehensive assessment demonstrated that the meat quality of the Juema pig was the best when slaughtered at 40kg slaughter weight.
- Cameron ND and Enser MB (1991) Fatty acid composition of lipid in Longissimus dorsi muscle of Duroc and British Landrace pigs and its relationship with eating quality. Meat Sci 29: 295-307.
- Cesar AS, Silveira AC, Freitas PF, Guimaraes EC and Batista DF (2010) Influence of Chinese breeds on pork quality of commercial pig lines. Genet Mol Res 9: 727-733.
- Chaput RL and Kovacic RT (1970) Miniature pig performance after fractionated supraletal doses of ionizing radiation. Radiat Res 44: 807-820.
- Druml T, Salajpal K, Dikic M, Urosevic M and Grilz-Seger G (2012) Genetic diversity, population structure and subdivision of local Balkan pig breeds in Austria, Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina and its practical value in conservation programs. Genet Sel Evol 44: 5.
- Fiedler I, Nurnberg K, Hardge T, Nurnberg G and Ender K (2003) Phenotypic variations of muscle fibre and intramuscular fat traits in Longissimus muscle of F(2) population Duroc x Berlin Miniature Pig and relationships to meat quality. Meat Sci 63: 131-139.
- Jiang YZ, Zhu L, Li FQ and Li XW (2012a) Carcass composition and meat quality of indigenous Yanan pigs of China. Genet Mol Res 11: 166-173.
- Jiang YZ, Zhu L, Tang GQ, Li MZ and Jiang AA (2012b) Carcass and meat quality traits of four commercial pig crossbreeds in China. Genet Mol Res 11: 4447-4455.
- Lan YH, McKeith FK, Novakofski J and Carr TR (1993) Carcass and muscle characteristics of Yorkshire, Meishan, Yorkshire x Meishan, Meishan x Yorkshire, Fengjing x Yorkshire, and Minzhu x Yorkshire pigs. J Anim Sci 71: 3344-3349.
- Li M, Tian S, Jin L, Zhou G and Li Y (2013a) Genomic analyses identify distinct patterns of selection in domesticated pigs and Tibetan wild boars. Nat Genet 45: 1431-1438.
- Li M, Jin L, Ma J, Tian S and Li R (2014) Detecting mitochondrial signatures of selection in wild Tibetan pigs and domesticated pigs. Mitochondrial DNA11:1-6.
- Li YC, Pan ZM, Kang XL, Geng SZ and Liu ZY (2014) Prevalence, characteristics, and antimicrobial resistance patterns of Salmonella in retail pork in Jiangsu province, eastern China. J Food Prot 77: 236-245.
- Madeira MS, Costa P, Alfaia CM, Lopes PA and Bessa RJ (2013) The increased intramuscular fat promoted by dietary lysine restriction in lean but not in fatty pig genotypes improves pork sensory attributes. J Anim Sci 91:3177-3187.
- McConell GK, Shinewell J, Stephens TJ, Stathis CG and Canny BJ (2005) Creatine supplementation reduces muscle inosine monophosphate during endurance exercise in humans. Med Sci Sports Exerc 37: 2054-2061.
- Riedel S, Schiborra A, Huelsebusch C, Huanming M and Schlecht E (2012) Opportunities and challenges for small holder pig production systems in a mountainous region of Xishuangbanna, Yunnan Province, China. Trop Anim Health Prod 44: 1971-1980.
- Rincker PJ, Killefer J, Ellis M, Brewer MS and McKeith FK (2008) Intramuscular fat content has little influence on the eating quality of fresh pork loin chops. J Anim Sci 86: 730-737.
- Sun CY, Wang CK, Wang YC, Zhang Y and Zhang Q (2009) Evaluation of connectedness between herds for three pig breeds in China. Animal 3: 482-485.
- Van Wijk HJ, Arts DJ, Matthews JO, Webster M and Ducro BJ (2005) Genetic parameters for carcass composition and pork quality estimated in a commercial production chain. J Anim Sci 83: 324-333.
- Wang H, Wang T, Luo Q, Huo X and Wang L (2012) Prevalence and genotypes of Toxoplasma gondii in pork from retail meat stores in Eastern China. Int J Food Microbiol 157: 393-397.
- Wang L, Sorensen P, Janss L, Ostersen T and Edwards D (2013) Genome-wide and local pattern of linkage disequilibrium and persistence of phase for 3 Danish pig breeds. BMC Genet 14: 115.
- Yang S and Yang Q (2008) Comparative study of slaughter performance between Hezuo pig and Gansu White. Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine: 27:21-23.
- Yang S, Zhang H, Mao H, Yan D and Lu S (2011) The local origin of the Tibetan pig and additional insights into the origin of Asian pigs. PLoS One 6: e28215.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.