Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Standardization of corn starch as a fat replacer in buffalo calf meat sausages and its effect on the quality attributes
First Online 13-12-2017|
- Aktas, N. and Genccelep, H. (2006). Effect of starch type and its modifications on physicochemical properties of bologna type sausage produced with sheep tail fat. Meat Sci. 74: 404-408.
- Ali, R. F. M., El-Anany, A. M. and Gaafar, A. M. (2011). Effect of potato flakes as fat replacer on the quality attributes of low-fat beef patties. Adv J. Food Sci. Technol. 3(3): 173-180.
- AOAC. (2005). Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical chemists, 18th edition,Washington, DC.
- Baliga, B. R. and Madaiah, N. (1970). Quality of sausage emulsion prepared from mutton. J. Food Sci. 35: 383-385.
- Berry, B. W. and Wergin, W. P. (1993). Modified pregelatinized potato starch in low-fat ground beef patties. J. Muscle Foods. 4: 305-320.
- Bourne, M. C. (1978). Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 32: 62-66.
- Carballo, J., Fernandez, P., Barreto, G., Solas, M.T. and Jimenez Colmenero, F. (1996). Morphology and texture of bologna sausage containing different levels of fat, starch and egg white. J. Food Sci. 61: 652–655.
- Confrades, S., Carballo, J. and Colmenero, F. J. (1997). Heating rate effects on high-fat and low-fat frankfurters with a high content of added water. Meat Sci. 47 105-114.
- Dexter, D. R., Sofos, J. N., and Schmidt, G. R. (1993). Quality characteristics of Turkey bologna formulated with carrageenan, starch, milk and soy protein. J. Muscle Foods. 4: 207–223.
- Giese J. (1992). Developing low-fat meat products. Food Technol. 46: 100–108.
- Giese, J. (1996). Fats, oils and fat replacers. Food Technol. 50 (4): 78-84.
- Hong, G. P., Lee, S. and Min, S. G. (2004). Effect of substituted level of added water for fat on the quality characteristics of spreadable liver sausage. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 13: 397-402.
- Hughes, E., Mullen, A. M. and Troy. D. S. (1998). Effect of fat level, tapioca starch and whey protein in frankfurters formulated with 5% and 12% fat. Meat Sci. 48, 169-180.
- Kandeepan, G., Anjaneyulu, A. S. R., Kondaiah, N., Mendiratta, S. K., and Lakshmanan, V. 2009. Effect of age and gender on the processing characteristics of buffalo meat. Meat Sci. 83: 10-14.
- Keeton, J. T. (1983). Effect of fat, NaCl and phosphate levels on the chemical and sensory properties of pork patties. J. Food Sci. 48: 878-81.
- Keeton, J. T. (1994). Low-fat meat products-Technological problems with processing. Meat Sci. 36: 261-276.
- Khalil, A. H. (2000). Quality characteristics of low-fat beef patties formulated with modified corn starch and water. Food Chem. 68: 61–68.
- Kumar, M. and Sharma, B. D. (2004). The storage stability and textural, physico-chemical and sensory quality of low-fat ground pork patties with carrageenan as fat replacer. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 39: 31–42.
- Kumar, M., Sharma, B.D. Sharma, R.B. and Kumar, S. (2004). Effect of carrageenan and sodium alginate on processing and sensory qualities of low-fat ground pork patties. Indian J. Anim. Res. 38: 79·84.
- Laskar, S. K., Jebin, N., Nath, D. R. and Hazarika, M. (2013). Studies on composition and sensory quality of fat reduced chevon salamis incorporated with glutinous rice flour. Asian J. Dairy Food Res. 32: 149-151.
- Muhlisin, Kang, S.M., Choi, W. H., Lee, K. T., Cheong, S. H. and Lee, S. K. (2012). Effects of Hydrated Potato Starch on the Quality of Low-fat Ttoekgalbi (Korean Traditional Patty) Packaged in Modified Atmosphere Conditions during Storage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25: 725 – 732.
- Snedecor, G. W. and Cochran, W. G. (1994). Statistical Methods, 9th edn. Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa.
- Trout, E.S., Hunt, M. C., Jhonson, D. E., Clans, J. R., Castner, C.L. and Kropf, D.H. (1992). Characteristics of low fat ground beef, containing texture modifying ingredients. J. Food Sci. 57: 19-24.
- Verma, A. K., Chatli, M. K., Kumar, D., Kumar, P. and Mehta, N. (2015). Efficacy of sweet potato powder and added water as fat replacer on the quality attributes of low-fat pork patties. Asian Australas J. Anim. Sci. 28: 252–259.
- Wardlaw, F.B., McCaskill, L.H. and Acton, J. C. (1973). Effect of post mortem muscle changes in poultry meat loaf properties. J. Food Sci. 38: 421-424.
- Witte, V. C., Krauce, G.F. and Bailey, M. C. (1970). A new extraction method for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid values for pork and beef during storage. J. Food Sci. 35: 582.
- Yang, A., Keeton, J. T., Beilken, S.L. and Trout, G. R. (2001). Evaluation of Some Binders and Fat Substitutes in Low-fat Frankfurters. J. Food Sci. 66: 1039-1046
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.