Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Carcass and meat quality characteristics of Bandur ram lambs
First Online 15-09-2017|
- Abdullah, A.Y. and Qudsieh, R.I. (2008). Carcass characteristics of Awassi ram lambs slaughtered at different weights. Livest. Sci., 117: 165-175.
- Acharya, R.M. (1982). Sheep and Goat breeds of India. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Banerjee, R., Mandal, P.K., Bose, S., Banerjee, M. and Manna, B. (2009). Quality evaluation of meat, skin and wool from Garole sheep - a promising breed from India. Asian J. Anim. Sci., 3: 39-46.
- Basic Animal Husbandry and Fisheries Statistics (BAHS). (2014). Ministry of Agricultrue, Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Bratzler, L.J. and Smith, H.D. (1963). A comparison of the press method with taste panel and shear measurements of tenderness in beef and lamb muscles. J. Food Sci., 28: 99.
- Charyulu, E.K. and Arora, A.L. (1998). Breeding Strategies for improving mutton production. In: proceedings of National seminar on golden jubilee seminar on sheep, goat and rabbit production and utilization. 24 – 26th April, 1998. Jaipur.
- Gerrard, F. (1964). Meat Technology, 3rd Edition, Leonard Hill Limited, London.
- Grau, W.R. and Hamm, R. (1953). Muscle as food. Food Science and Technology, a Series of Monographs. Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, pp. 135-189.
- Grau, W.R. and Hamm, R. (1957). The water retention capacity of the mammalian muscle. Mag. Food Invest. Res., 105: 446.
- Harrington, G. and Kempster, A.J. (1989). Improving lamb carcass composition to meet modern consumer demand. In: Reproduction, Growth and Nutrition in Sheep Dyr-mundsson, O.R., Thorgeirsson, S. Eds., Agricultural Research Institute, Reykjavik, Iceland. pp.79–90.
- ISI. (1995). Indian standard: Meat and Meat products – Mutton and Goat meat (chevon) – Fresh, chilled and frozen, technical requirements (first revision). Bureau of Indian Standard Institution Ed. 2.1 (2004-05), New Delhi, India.
- Karim, S.A. (2004). Nutrition and feeding management of sheep for mutton production. In: Proceedings of the national seminar on opportunities and challenges in nutrition and feeding management of sheep, goat and rabbits for sustainable production. 10- 12 Feb, 2004. Avikanagar. pp 88-99.
- Karim, S.A., Kuldeep Porwal, Suresh Kumar and Singh, V.K. (2007). Carcass traits of Kheri lambs maintained on different system of feeding management. Meat Sci., 76: 395-401.
- Karim, S.A., Santra, A. and Verma, D.L. (2002). Growth, feed conversion efficiency and carcass characteristics of Malpura and Malpura x Awassi crossbred lambs in a hot semi-arid environment. Asian-Australian J. Anim. Sci., 15: 377–381.
- Mule, A.D., Pachpute, S.T. and Dhage, S.A. (2013). Effect of slaughter age on carcass traits and meat quality of Deccani sheep. Indian J. Small Ruminants, 19(1): 67-70.
- Perez, P., Maino, M., Tomic, G., Mardones, E. and Pokniak, J. (2002). Carcass characteristics and meat quality of Suffolk Down suckling lambs. Small Ruminant Res., 44: 233-240.
- Prasad, R.D.D., Charyulu, Sreenivasulu, Rao, T.M. and Munirathnam, D. (1991). Carcass characteristics of Mandya, Nellore and their halfbreds with Dorset under feedlots. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 61(2): 226-227.
- Sanudo, C., Campo, M.M., Muela, E., Olleta, J. L., Delfa, R., Jinenez-Badillo, R., Alcalde, M.J., Horcada, A., Oliveira, I. and Cilla, I. (2012). Carcass characteristics and instrumental meat quality of suckling kids and lambs. Span. J. Agr. Res., 10(3): 690-700.
- Sen, A.R., Santra, A. and Karim, S.A. (2004). Carcass yield, composition and meat quality attributes of sheep and goat under semi-arid conditions. Meat Sci., 66: 757-763.
- Shinde, A.K., Bhatt, R.S., Nasimuddin, M. and Karim, S.A. (2008). Carcass characteristics of Malpura male lambs maintained under different feeding regimes. Indian J. Small Ruminants, 14(1): 71-76.
- Simela, L., Webb, E.C. and Bosman, M.J.C. (2011). Live animal and carcass characteristics of South African indigenous goats. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci., 41: 1-15.
- Snedecor, C.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1989). Statistical Methods, 8th edition. Ames: Iowa State University Press, USA.
- Sureshkumar, S. and Karim, S.A. (2008). Carcass characteristics of Chokla and Avikalin yearling males maintained under grazing with supplementation. Indian J. Small Ruminants, 15(1): 81-84.
- Tshabalala, P.A., Strydom, P.E., Webb, E.C. and Dekock, H.L. (2003). Meat quality of designated South African indigenous goat and sheep breeds. Meat Sci., 65: 563-570.
- Warner, K.F. (1928). Progress report of the mechanical test for tenderness of meat. In Proc. Am. Soc. Anim. Prod., 21: 114.
- Yarali, E., Yilmaz, O., Cemal, I., Karca, O. and Taskin, T. (2014). Meat quality characteristics in Kivircik lambs. Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci., 38: 452-458.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.