Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of different extenders for preservation of ram semen at 4°C
First Online 17-11-2016|
The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of different extenders viz. Tris citric acid fructose egg yolk (TCFEY), Tris citric acid glucose egg yolk (TCGEY), Egg yolk citrate fructose (EYCF) and Egg yolk citrate glucose (EYCG) on the quality of ram spermatozoa during preservation at 4°C. Semen samples showing more than 3+ mass motility and 70% progressive motility were pooled and subsequently divided into four aliquots. Each aliquot was extended separately in four different extenders viz. TCFEY, TCGEY, EYCF and EYCG and stored at 4°C up to 72h. The quality of spermatozoa on the basis of percentage of sperm motility, live sperm, morphological abnormalities, intact acrosome and hypoosmotic swelling test (HOST) reacted spermatozoa was evaluated immediately after extension in particular extenders (0 h), 24 h, 48 h and 72 h after preservation at 4°C. The percent sperm motility was significantly (P<0.01) higher for TCFEY and TCGEY than EYCF and EYCG at 72 h of preservation at 4°C. The percent HOST reacted spermatozoa and intact acrosomes were significantly (P<0.01) higher and morphological abnormalities were significantly (P<0.01) lower for Tris based fructose extender than other three extenders at 72 h at 4°C. In conclusion, Tris citric acid fructose egg yolk (TCFEY) was found the best in maintaining the quality of ejaculated ram spermatozoa during preservation for 72 h at 4°C.
- Akhter, S., Ansari, M.S., Rakha, B.A., Andrabi, S.M.H., Anwar, M. and Nemat Ullah, N. (2010). Effect of fructose addition in skim milk extender on the quality of liquid Nili-Ravi Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) semen. Pakistan J. Zool. 42: 227-231.
- Arifiantini, R.I. and Purwantara, B. (2010). Motility and viability of friesian holstein spermatozoa in three different extender stored at 5°C. J. Indonesian Trop. Anim. Agric. 35: 222-226.
- Bloom, E. (1977). Sperm morphology with reference to bull infertility. In: Some papers contributed to the 1st All India Symposium on Animal Reproduction. Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India, pp. 66-81.
- Bucher, A., Kasimanickam, R., Hall, J.B., Dejarnette, J.M., Whittier, W.D., Kahn, W. and Xu, Z. (2009). Fixed-time AI pregnancy rate following insemination with frozen-thawed or fresh-extended semen in progesterone supplemented CO-Synch protocol in beef cows. Theriogenology. 71: 1180–1185.
- Crespilho, A. M., Papa, F.O., Santos, M.P. and Sa Filho, M.F. (2012). Use of cooled bull semen as a strategy to increase the pregnancy rate in fixed-time artificial insemination programs – case report. Am. J. Anim. Vet. Sci. 7: 175–179.
- Gundogan, M. (2009). Short term preservation of ram semen with different extenders. Kafkas Univ. Vet. Fak. Derg. 15: 429-435.
- Hafez, E.S.E. and Hafez, B. (2000). Reproduction in farm animals, 7th edition Wiley john and Sons.
- Islam, R. and Khan, M. Z. (2010). Preservation of ram semen with egg yolk citrate extender at refrigeration temperature. Indian Vet. J. 87: 463-465.
- Islam, R., Ahmed, K. and Deka, B.C. (2006). Effects of holding and washing on the quality of goat semen. Small Rumin. Res. 66: 51-57.
- King, M.E., McKelvey, W.A.C., Dingwall, W.S. Matthews, K.P., Gebbie, F.E., Mylne, M.J.A., Stewart, E. and Robinson, J.J. (2004). Lambing rates and litter size following intrauterine or cervical insemination of frozen/thawed semen with or without oxytocin administration. Theriogenology. 62:1236–1244.
- Kulaksiz, R., Bucak, M.N., Akcay, E., Sakin, F., Daskin, A. and Atessahin, A. (2011). The effects of different extenders and myo-inositol on post-thaw quality of ram semen. Kafkas Univ. Vet. Fak. Derg. 17: 217-222.
- Kulaksiz, R., Cebi, C. and Akcay, E. (2012). The effect of different extenders on the motility and morphology of ram sperm frozen or stored at 4°C. Turk. J. Vet. Ani. Sci. 36: 177-182.
- Kumar, S., Sahni, K.L. and Mohan, G. (1992). Effect of different sugars as a sole cryoprotectant in freezing of buffalo semen. Buff. J. 3: 305-309.
- Kumar, S., Sahni, K.L. and Mohan, G. (1994). Effect of different sugars as a sole cryoprotectant during refrigeration preservation of buffalo semen. Indian J. Ani. Sci. 64: 471-473.
- Lone, F.A., Islam, R., Khan, M.Z. and Sofi, K.A. (2012). Effect of different Egg-Yolk Based Extenders on the Quality of Ovine cauda Epididymal Spermatozoa during Storage at 4°C. Reprod. Domest. Ani. 47: 257-262.
- Marti, E., Mara, L., Marti, J., Muino-Blanco, T. and Cebrian-Perez, J. (2007). Seasonal variation in antioxidant enzyme activity in ram seminal plasma. Theriogenology. 67: 1446-1454.
- Matsuoka, T., Imai, H., Kohno, H. and Fukui, Y. (2006). Effects of bovine serum albumin and trehalose in semen diluents for improvement of frozen-thawed ram spermatozoa. J. Reprod. Dev. 52: 675–683.
- Menchaca, A., Pinczak, A. and Queirolo, D. (2005). Storage of ram semen at 5°C: Effects of preservation period and timed artificial insemination on pregnancy rate in ewes. Ani. Reprod. 2: 195-198.
- Misra, D. N., Deka, B.C. and Borgohain, B.N. (1993). Effect of washing on the quality of goat semen during preservation at +5 °C. Indian J. Ani. Reprod. 14: 49–50.
- O’Hara, L., Hanrahan, J.P., Richardson, L., Donovan, A., Fair, S., Evans, A.C.O. and Lonergan. P. (2010). Effect of storage duration, storage temperature, and diluents on the viability and fertility of fresh ram sperm. Theriogenology. 73: 541–549.
- Paulenz, H., Soderquist, L., Adony, T., Fossen, O.H. and Anderson, B.K. (2003). Effect of milk and TRIS-based extenders on the fertility of sheep inseminated vaginally once or twice with liquid ram semen. Theriogenology. 60: 759-766.
- Paulenz, H., Soderquist, L., Perez-Pe, R. and Berg, K.A. (2002). Effect of different extenders and storage temperatures on sperm viability of liquid ram semen. Theriogenology. 57: 823-836.
- Pervage, S., Hassan, M.R., Ershaduzzaman, M. and Khandoker, M.A.M.Y. (2009). Preservation of liquid semen and artificial insemination in native sheep. J. Bangladesh Agric. Uni. 7: 305–308.
- Purdy, P.H., Moce, E., Stobart, R., Murdoch, W.J., Moss, G.E., Larson, B., Ramsey, S., Graham, J.K. and Blackburn, H.D. (2010). The fertility of ram sperm held for 24 h at 5°C prior to cryopreservation. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 118: 231– 235.
- Rahman, H.M.R., Paul, A.K., Maruf, A.A., Rahman, M.M., Islam, M.T. and Bari, F.Y. (2015). Characterization of native ram semen in Bangladesh. Wayamba J. Anim. Sci. – ISSN: 2012-578X; 1076-1083.
- Rakha, B.A., Hussain, I., Akhter, S., Ullah, N., Andrabi, S.M.H. and Ansari M.S. (2013). Evaluation of Tris–citric acid, skim milk and sodium citrate extenders for liquid storage of Punjab Urial (Ovis vignei punjabiensis) spermatozoa. Reprod. Biol. 13: 238 – 242.
- Salamon, S. and Maxwell, W.M. (2000). Storage of ram semen. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 62: 77–111.
- Soylu, M.K., Nur, Z., Ustuner, B., Dogan, I., Sagirkaya, H., Gunay, U. and Ak, K. (2007). Effects of various cryoprotective agents and extender osmolality on post-thawed ram semen. Bull. Vet. Inst. Pulawy. 51: 241-246.
- Stefanov, R.G., Anev, G. and Abadjieva, D.V. (2015). Effect of different extenders and storage periods on motility and fertility of ram sperm. Mac. Vet. Rev. 38: 1-5.
- Vasquez, J., Florentini, E.A., Camargo, L.A., Gonzales, J. and Valdivia, M. (2013). Hypo osmotic swelling test in ram (Ovis aries) spermatozoa. Livest. Sci. 157: 618-622.
- Verberckmoes, S., Soom, A.V. Dewulf, J. and Kruif, A. (2005). Comparison of three diluents for the storage of fresh bovine semen. Theriogenology. 63: 912–922.
- Watson, P. F. (1975). Use of Giemsa stain to detect changes in acrosome of frozen ram spermatozoa. Microsc. Res. Tech. 61: 1-6.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.