Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Y-chromosome variation in Indian native cattle breeds and crossbred population
First Online 28-01-2017|
The paternally inherited Y chromosome markers have been used widely in population genetic studies to trace paternal lineages, to understand differences in migration pattern and populations admixture in animals. In the absence of crossing over, Y-chromosomal markers in the non-recombining male-specific region (MSY) are mostly transmitted as a haplotype. Recent studies of five polymorphic sites on DDX3Y, UTY and ZFY genes of bull MSY assisted in the identification of three haplotypes (Y1, Y2 and Y3) in contemporary cattle. Here we report the screening of five SNPs (ZFY9- 120> C/T; ZFY10- 655> C/T; DDX3Y1- 425>C/T; DDX3Y7 -123>C/T and UTY19-423>C/A) of bull MSY employing optimized and validated allele-specific PCR (AS-PCR) protocols that are useful in effective differentiation of bull/semen samples of Bos indicus and Bos taurus origin. Three haplotypes (Y1, Y2 and Y3) were identified in the present study by the screening of 181 bulls from 10 native cattle breeds and 50 HF crossbred. Y1 and Y2 haplotypes were restricted to HF crossbred with a frequency of 0.98 and 0.02, respectively. The high frequency of Y1 haplotype is possibly due to the occurrence of Y1 lineage predominantly in HF bulls. All the native cattle breeds were observed to have pure indicine haplotype (Y3). These cost effective AS-PCR protocols may be useful for reliable and accurate genotyping of Y-SNPs in diverse native cattle breeds, exotic and crossbred cattle populations.
- Anderung, C., Bouwman A., Persson P., Carretero J.M., Ortega, A.I., Elburg R., Smith C., Arsuaga, J.L., Ellegren H. and Gotherstrom, A. (2005). Prehistoric contacts over the Straits of Gibraltar indicated by genetic analysis of Iberian Bronze Age cattle. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA., 102: 8431–8435.
- Anderung, C., Hellborg L., Seddon J., Hanotte O. and Gotherstrom A. (2007). Investigation of X- and Y specific single nucleotide polymorphisms in taurine (Bos taurus) and indicine (Bos indicus) cattle. Anim. Genet., 38: 595-600.
- Chang, Z.H., Wei, L.X., Zhang, R.F., Guo, B.L., He, C., Lan, X.Y., Chen, H. and Lei, CZ. (2011). Genetic diversity and origin based on Y-SNPs in Chinese Cattle. Acta Veterinaria et Zootechnica Sinica., 42: 1537-1542.
- Edwards, C.J., Ginja, C., Kantanen, J., Perez-Pardal, L., Tresset, A., Stock, F., Gama, LT., Penedo, MCT., Bradley, DG., Lenstra, JA., et al. (2011). Dual origins of dairy cattle farming—Evidence from a comprehensive survey of European Y-chromosomal variation. PLoS One 6: e15922. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0015922.
- Edwards, C.J., Baird, J.F. and MacHugh, D.E. (2007). Taurine and zebu admixture in Near Eastern cattle: a comparison of mitochondrial, autosomal and Y-chromosomal data. Anim. Genet., 38: 520-524.
- Edwards, C.J., Gaillard, C., Bradley, D.G. and Mac Hugh, D.E. (2000). Y-specific microsatellite polymorphisms in a range of bovid species. Anim. Genet., 31: 127–130.
- Ginja, C., Penedo, M.C., Melucci, L., Quiroz, J., Martinez, L.O.R. Lopez., Revidatti, M.A., Martínez-Martínez, A., Delgado, J.V. and Gama, L.T. (2010). Origins and genetic diversity of New World Creole cattle: inferences from mitochondrial and Y chromosome polymorphisms. Anim. Genet., 41: 128-141.
- Ginja, C., Telo da Gama, L. and Penedo, M.C.T. (2009). Y chromosome haplotype analysis in Portuguese cattle breeds using SNPs and STRs. J. Hered., 100: 148-157.
- Giovambattista, G., Ripoli, M.V., De Luca J.C., Miro, P.M., Liron, J.P. and Dulout, F.N. (2000). Male-mediated introgression of Bosindicusgenes into Argentineand Bolivian Creole cattle breeds. Anim. Genet., 31: 302–305.
- Gotherstrom, A., Anderung C., Hellborg L., Elburg R., Smith C., Bradley D.G. and Ellegren, H. (2005). Cattle domestication in the Near East was followed by hybridization with aurochs bulls in Europe. Proc. Biol. Sci., 272: 2345–2350.
- Hanotte, O., Tawah, C.L., Bradley, D.G., Okomo, M., Verjee, Y., Ochieng, J. and Rege, J.E. (2000). Geographic distribution and frequency of a taurine Bos Taurus and an indicine Bos indicus Y specific allele amongst sub-saharan African cattlebreeds. Mol. Ecol., 9: 387–396.
- Kantanen, J., Edwards, C.J., Bradley, D.G., Viinalass, H., Thessler, S., Ivanova, Z., Kiselyova, T., Cinkulov, M., Popov, R., Stojanovic, S., Amnosov, I. and Vikki, J. (2009). Maternal and paternal genealogy of Eurasian taurine cattle (Bos taurus). Heredity, 103: 404-415.
- Kappes, S.M., Keele, J.W., Stone, R.T., Mc Graw, R.A., Sonstegard, T.S., Smith, T.P., Lopez-Corrales, N.L. and Beattie, C.W. (1997). A second-generation linkage map of the bovine genome. Genome. Res., 7: 235–249.
- Kumar, S., Singh S., Sodhi, M. and Ganguly, I. (2015). Allele specific and tetra-primer ARMS PCR assays for rapid screening of SNPs at male-specific region of Y-chromosome in cattle. International Journal of Tropical Agriculture, 33, 2 (Part IV):1485-1489
- Li, R., Xie, W.M., Chang, Z.H., Wang, S.Q., Dang, R.H., Lan, X.Y., Chen, H. and Lei, C.Z.(2013). Y chromosome diversity and paternal origin of Chinese cattle. Mol Biol Rep., 40:6633-6636.
- Li, M.H., Zerabruk, M., Vangen, O., Olsaker, I. and Kantanen, J. (2007). Reduced genetic structure of north Ethiopian cattle revealed by Y-chromosome analysis. Heredity., 98: 214–221.
- Lindgren, G., Backstrom, N., SwiLindgren, G., Backstrom, N., Swinburne, J., Hellborg, L., Einarsson, A., Sandberg, K., Cothran, G., Vila, C., Binns, M. and Ellegren, H. (2004). Limited number of patrilines in horse domestication. Nat Genet., 36: 335–336.
- Liu, W.S., Beattie, C.W. and Ponce de Leon, F.A. (2003). Bovine Y chromosome microsatellite polymorphisms. Cytogenet. Genome. Res., 102: 53–58.
- Perez-Pardal, L., Royo, L.J., Beja-Pereira, A., Curik, I., Traore, A., Fernandez, I., Solkner, J., Alonso, J., Alvarez, I., Bozzi, R., Chen, S., Ponce De Leon, F.A. and Goyache, F. (2010). Y-specific microsatellites reveal an African subfamily in taurine (Bos taurus) cattle. Anim. Genet., 41: 232-241.
- Pidancier, N., Jordan, S., Luikart, G. and Taberlet, P. (2006). Evolutionary history of the genus Capra (Mammalia, Artiodactyla): discordance between mitochondrial DNA and Y-chromosome phylogenies. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 40: 739–749.
- Sambrook, J. and Russell, D.W. (2001): Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Library Press, New York.
- Vaiman, D., Mercier, D., Moazami-Goudarzi, K., Eggen, A., Ciampolini, R., Lepingle, A., Velmala, R., Kaukinen, J., Varvio, S.L., Martin, P., Leveziel, H. and Guerin, G. (1994). A set of 99 cattle microsatellites: characterization, synteny mapping, and polymorphism. Mamm Genome., 5: 288–297.
- Verkaar, E.L.C., Nijman, I.J., Beeke, M., Hanekamp, E. and Lenstra, J.A. (2004). Maternal and paternal lineages in cross- breeding bovine species. Has wisent a hybrid origin. Mol. Biol. Evol., 21: 1165–1170.
- Zhang, R., Cheng, M., Li, X., Chen, F., Zheng, J., Wang X. and Meng, Q. (2013). Y-SNPs haplotype diversity in four Chinese cattle breeds. Anim. Biotechnol., 24: 288-292.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.