Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of genetic and non-genetic factors on milk yield and milk composition traits in Murrah buffaloes
First Online 25-10-2016|
The objective of the present study was to investigate the effect of genetic and non-genetic factors and to estimate genetic parameters of first lactation 305 days milk yield (FLMY305), 305 days fat yield (LFY), 305 days solid not fat yield (LSNFY), 305 days total solid yield (LTSY), 305 days fat percentage (FAT%), 305 days solid not fat percentage (SNF%) and 305 days total solid percentage (TS%) in Murrah buffaloes. The data of 315 Murrah buffaloes calved from 1993 to 2013 and sired by 47 bulls maintained in an organized farm at ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal was analyzed to study the effect of genetic and non-genetic factors. Least squares analysis was done to estimate the effect of genetic and non-genetic factors on FLMY305, LFY, LSNFY, LTSY, FAT%, SNF% and TS%. Heritability estimates were obtained by using paternal half-sib correlation method. The heritability estimates for FLMY305, LFY, LSNFY, LTSY, FAT%, SNF% and TS% traits were found to be 0.30, 0.29, 0.30, 0.30, 0.05, 0.02 and 0.06, respectively. Very high and positive genetic and phenotypic correlations of FLMY305 with milk constituents’ yield traits implied that selection based on FLMY305 would result in correlated response in milk constituents yield traits and therefore need not to be considered separately for their improvement.
- Aspilcueta-Borquis, R. R., Araujo Neto, F.R., Baldi, F,R. (2010). Genetic parameters for buffaloes milk yield and milk quality traits using Bayesian inference. J. Dairy Sci. 93: 2195-2201.
- BAHS. (2012). Basic Animal Husbandary Statistics. Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries. Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India.
- Becker, W.A. (1975). Manual of Quantitative Genetics. 3rd ed. Washington State University, Washington, USA.
- Bhonsle, D., Chourasia, S.K., Singh, M. and Jain, R.K. (2003). Factors affecting major milk constituents in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 73: 107-109.
- Chakraborty, D., Dhaka, S.S., Pander, B.L., Yadav, A.S. and Dandapat, A. (2010). Genetic studies on 305 days and test day milk yield records in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Scien., 80: 729–732.
- Dass, G. and Sadana, D.K. (2000). Factors affecting some economic traits in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Res., 34: 43-45.
- Dass, G. and Sharma, R.C. (1994). Factors affecting milk production in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Res., 28: 61-64.
- Dubey, P.C., Suman, C.L., Sanyal, M.K., Pandey, H.S., Saxena, M.M. and Yadav, P.L. (1997). Factors affecting composition of milk of buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 67: 802-804.
- Ferrer, B., Mineri, L. and Intrieri, F. (1966). The correlation between milk yield and fat percentage in buffalo herd in casecta. Affi. Soci. Italy Sci. Vet., 19: 636-638.
- Ghosh, S.N. and Anantakrishnan, C.P. (1964). The composition of milk, the relationship between milk constituents. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 18: 49-53.
- Harvey, W.R. (1990). User’s Guide for LSMLMW, Mixed Model Least-Squares and Maximum Likelihood Computer Programme. Ohio State University, Columbus, Mimeo.
- Hatwar, R.K. (1986). Genetic evaluation of Murrah buffaloes and bulls on the basis of first lactation trait and milk constituents. M.Sc. Thesis, NDRI, Kurukshetra University, Karnal, India.
- Indian Standard, IS: 1224 (Part I). (1977). Determination of fat by Gerber Method. Part I. Milk (First revision). Indian Standard Institution, Manak Bhavan, New Delhi.
- Jain, A.K. (2009). Analysis of factors affecting milk production traits of Murrah buffaloes over different lactations. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 62: 381-385.
- Kumar, M. (2015). Genetic screening of fat associated genes in relation to breeding value in Murrah buffalo. M.V.Sc. Thesis, ICAR-NDRI, Deemed University, Karnal, India.
- Kumar, M., Vohra, V., Ratwan, P., Chopra, A. and Chakaravarty, A.K. (2015). Influence of FASN gene polymorphism on milk production and its composition traits in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Res., DOI:10.18805/ijar.7077.
- Kumar, M., Vohra, V., Ratwan, P., Valsalan, J., Patil, C.S. and Chakravarty, A.K. (2016) Estimates of genetic parameters for fat yield in Murrah buffaloes. Veterinary World 9: 295-298.
- Kuralkar, S.V., Raheja, K.L. (1997). Relationship among early performance, lifetime production & reproduction traits in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 67: 798-801.
- Lathwal, S.S. (2000). Optimum levels of economic traits for maximizing the profit function in Murrah buffaloes. Ph D. Thesis, NDRI, Deemed University, Karnal, India.
- National Dairy Development Board. (2014-15). Annual report. (www.nddb.coop).
- Pal, S., Basu, S.B. and Senegar, O.P.S. (1971). Heritabilities and genetic correlation for milk constituents in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 56: 425-429.
- Pandey, H.S., Katpatal, B.G., Bisht, G.S. and kumar, M. (1986). Factors affecting milk constituents in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 41:1019-1021.
- Ratwan, P., Mandal, A., Kumar, M. and Chakravarty, A. K. (2015).Genetic analysis of milk production efficiency traits in Jersey crossbred cattle. Indian J. Ani. Res.,DOI:10.18805/ijar.7076.
- Ratwan, P., Mandal, A., Kumar, M., Kumar, A. and Chakravarty, A. K. (2016).Genetic analysis of lactation traits in Jersey crossbred cattle. Indian J Dairy Sci., 69: 1-4.
- Sahoo, S., Singh, A., Gupta, A.K., Chakravarty, A.K., Singh, M. and Ambhore, G.S. (2014). Estimation of genetic parameters of weekly test-day milk yields and first lactation 305-day milk yield in Murrah buffaloes. Veterinary World, 7: 1094-1098.
- Sarkar, U. (2002). Genetic studies on certain milk constituents of Murrah buffaloes. M..Sc. Thesis, NDRI, Deemed University, Karnal, India.
- Schneider, B.H., Warner, J.N., I.P., Agarwal, B.F., Sukhamte, P.V., Pendharkar, V.G. and Shankaran, A.N. (1948). The composition of milk. ICAR Misc. Bull.61.
- Singh, S.S., Rathi, S.S. and Sangwan , M.L. (1990). Environmental variances affecting production efficiency in Murrah buffaloes. Bufflo J., 6: 105- 112.
- Singh, T.P., Singh, R., Singh, G., Das, S.K., and Deb, S.M. (2011). Performance of production traits in Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 81: 1231–1238.
- Swiger, L.A., Harvey, W.R., Everson, D.O. and Gregory, K.E. (1964). The variance of interclass correlation involving group with one observation. Biometrics, 20: 818-826.
- Verma, (2012). Evaluation of genetic parameters of milk constituents in Sahiwal cattle and Murrah buffalo. M.V.Sc. Thesis, NDRI, Karnal, India.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.