Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
A hypothermal storage solution for cytokine-induced killer cells derived from cord blood
First Online 20-10-2015|
We measured the killing activities of cytokine-induced killer cells (CIK) cells after hypothermal storage of such cells to identify an effective freezing solution. Fourteen days after induction of CIK cells from cultured umbilical cord blood, cells were frozen and stored in a new storage solution (10% [v/v] dimethyl sulphoxide [DMSO]; 10% [w/v] Dextran; and lymphocytes, but without serum) and traditional cell freezing solution (15% [v/v] DMSO; 10% [w/v] human albumin; and lymphocytes, also without serum). Cells were thawed and cultured after 180 days, and cell morphology and proliferation were investigated. Flow cytometric measurement (FCM) was used to define the immune phenotype. The lactate dehydrogenas ( LDH) method was employed to test the ability of stored and freshly induced CIK cells to kill The myelogenous leukemia cell line K562. The morphologies and immune phenotypes of freshly induced and stored (in either solution) cells were similar. The proliferative activity and killing capacity of fresh CIK cells and those stored in the new solution were similar, and higher than those of cells stored in the traditional solution.
- Durrieu L, Dieng MM, Le Deist F and Haddad E (2013): Cord blood-derived and peripheral blood-derived cytokine- induced killer cells are sensitive to Fas-mediated apoptosis. Bio Blood Marrow Transplant 19:1407-1411.
- Ense N, Lu S, Alcid MG, Chen R and Mack R (2001): Pooled umbilicaI cord blood as a Possible universal donor for manrrow reconstitution and use in nuclear accidents. Life Sci 69:153l-1539.
- Hontscha C, Borck Y, Zhou H, Messmer D and Scmidt-WolfG : Clinical trials on CIK cells (2011): first report of the international registry on CIK cells (IRCC). J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 137: 305-310.
- Introna M, Golay J and Rambaldi A (2013): Cytokine Induced Killer (CIK) cells for the treatment for haematological neoplasms. Immunol Lett 155:27-30.
- Leuci V, Mesiano G, Gammaitoni L, Todorovic M, Giraudo L, Carnevale-Schianca F, Aqlietta M,Sanqiolo D (2014): EX vivo-activated MHC-unrestricted immune effectors for cancer adoptive immunotherapy. Anticancer Aqents Med Chem. 14:211-22.
- Liang XF, Ma DC, Ding ZY. Liu ZZ, Guo F, Liu L, Yu HY and Xie XD: (2013) Autologous Cytokin-induced killer celltherapy on the quality of life of patients with breast cancer after adjuvant chemotherapy: a prospective study. Zhonghua ZhongLiu Za Zhi 35:764-768.
- Schmidt-Wolf IGH, Lefterova P, Johnston V, Scheffold C, Csipai M,Mehta BA, Tsuruo T, Huhn D and Negrin RS (1996): Sensitivity multidrug-resistant tumor cell lines to immunological effector cells. Cellular Immunol 169:85-90.
- Schmidit-Wolf IG, Aihara M, Negrin RS, Blume KG and Chao NJ (1989): Lymphokine- activated killer cell activity after cryopreservation .J Immunol Methods 125:185-189.
- Scmidt-Wolf IGH, Nergrin RS, Kiem HP, Blume KG and Weissman IL (1991): Use of a SCID mouse/human lymphoma model to evaluate cytokine-induced killer cells with potent anti-tumor cell activity. J Exp Med 174:139-149.
- Strong D M, Ortaldo J R, Pandolfi F, Maluish A and Herberman RB (1982): Cryopreservation of human mononuclear cells for quality control in clinical immunology. J.Correlations in recovery of K-and NK-cell functions ,surface markers and morphology. Clin Immunol 2:214-221.
- Wang JP, Li W, Huang ZL, et al. (2012): Value of CIK in the treatment of TACE combined with RFA for HCC in long-term survival and prognostic analysis. Zhong hua Yi Xue Za Zhi 92:3062-3066.
- Zhu Y, Zhang H, Li Y, Bai J, Liu L, Liu Y, Qu Y and Qu X (2013): Efficacy of postoperative adjuvant transfusion of cytokine-induced killer cells combine with chemotherapy in patients with colorectal cancer. Cancer Immunol Immunother 62:1629-1635.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.