Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Molecular phylogeny of Barbin fishes of North - East India based on mitochondrial 16SrRNA gene sequences
First Online 17-11-2016|
The Barbin fishes (Cypriniformes: Barbinae) have achieved great diversity in the world and cosmopolitan in distribution but their phyletic classification is ambiguous. Molecular phylogeny of barbin fishes of North-East India was studied by using mitochondrial 16S rRNA sequences. Partial sequences (540-615 bp) of mit. 16S rRNA genes of four species of barbin fishes – Pethia atra, Puntius chola, P. javanicus, and P. sophore were generated and sequences of 7 species were downloaded from GenBank for present study. The aim of our present study is to resolve the taxonomic relationship and to establish the molecular phylogeny of Barbin fishes of North-East India based on mitochondrial 16S rRNA genes sequences. The Maximum Parsimony Tree shows three clusters with high bootstrap value and present data indicates that all fishes in this group had a common ancestor but now they have separated into distinct evolutionary lineages.
- Arunkumar, L. and Tombi, H. (1998). Puntius morehensis, a new species of Cyprinid Fish (Pisces:Cyprinidae) from the Yu-River System of Manipur, India. Journal of Natural conservation. 10: 253-257.
- Arunkumar, L. and Tombi, S. H. (2003). Two new species of puntid fish from the Yu River system of Manipur. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. 99: 481-487.
- Brown, W. M., Matthew George, J.R. and Wilson, A.C. (1979). Rapid evolution of animal mitochondrial DNA. Proceedings of National Academy of Science. 76: 1969-1971.
- Collins, R. A., Armstrong, K. F., Meier, R., Yi, Y., Brown, S. D. J., Cruickshank, R. H., Keeling, S. and Johnston, C. (2012). Barcoding and border biosecurity: identifying cyprinid fishes in the aquarium trade. PLoS ONE, 7: e28381. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0028381.
- Gilles, A., Lecoitre, G., Faure, E., Chappaz, R. and Brun, G. (1998). Mitochondrial phylogeny of the European cyprinids: implications for their systematic reticulate evolution and colonization time. Molecular Phylogenetics Evolution. 10: 132–143.
- Jayaram, K.C. (1991). Revision of the Genus Puntius Hamilton from the Indian Region(Pisces : Cypriniformes, Cyprinidae, Cyprininae). Recording Zoological.Survey of India Occ. Pap.No. 135: 1-178.
- Li, Y., Ren, Z., Shedlockm, A.M., Wu, J., Sang, L. and Tersing, T. (2013). High altitude adaptation of the Schizothoracine fishes (cyprinidae) revealed by the mitochondrial genome analysis. Gene. 517:169-178.
- Linthoingambi, I. and Vishwanath, W.(2007). Two new fish species of the genus Puntius Hamilton (Cyprinidae) from Manipur, India, with notes on P. ticto (Hamilton) and P. stoliczkanus (Day). Zootaxa. 1450: 45–56.
- Menon, A.G.K., Rema, D.K. and Vishwanath, W. (2000). A new species of Puntius (Cyprinidae: Ctprininae) from Manipur, India. Journal of Bombay Natural History Soceity. 97: 263-268.
- Moritz, C., Dowling, T.E. and Brown, W. M. (1987). Evolution of animal mitochondrial DNA: relevance for population biology and systematic. Annu Rev Ecol Syst. 18: 269-292.
- Palumbi, S. R. (1996). Nucleic acids II: The polymerase chain reaction. In: Molecular systematics. [Hillis DM, Moritz C, Mable BK (eds)]. Sinauer Associates, Inc, : 205–247
- Pethiyagoda, R., Meegaskumbara, M. and Maduwage, K. (2012). A synopsis of the South Asian fishes referred to Puntius (Pisces: Cyprinidae). Ichthyol Explor Freshwaters. 23: 69-95.
- Rosenberg, M. S., Subramanian, S. and Kumar, S. (2003). Patterns of transitional mutation biases within and among mammalian genomes. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 20:988-993.
- Shantakumar, M. and Vishwanath, W. (2006). Inter-relationship of Puntius Hamilton-Buchanan (Cyprinidae: Cyprininae) found in Manipur, India. Zoos’ Print Journal. 21: 2279-2283.
- Talwar, P. K. and Jhingran, A. G. (1991). Inland Fishes of Indian and Adjacent Countries. Vol. 1. Oxford and IBH Publ., New Delhi, pp.541.
- Tamura, K., Peterson, D., Peterson, N., Stecher, G., Nei, M. and Kumar, S. (2011). MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood evolutionary distance and maximum parsimony methods. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 28:2731-2739.
- Topal, M.D. and Fresco, J.R.(1976). Complementary base pairing and the origin of substitution mutations. Nature. 263: 285 – 289. doi:10.1038/263285a0
- Vishwanath, W. and Tombi, H. (1986). A new species of the genus Puntius Hamilton from Manipur. Rec Zoo Surv India. 83: 129-133.
- Vishwanath, W. and Laisram, J. (2004). Two new species of Puntius Hamilton-Buchanan (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae) from Manipur, India, with an account of Puntius species from the state. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. 101: 130-137.
- Vishwanath, W., Nebeshwar, K., Lokeshwaor, Y., Shangningam, B.D.and Rameshori, Y. (2014). Freshwater fish taxonomy and a manual for identification of fishes of Northeast India. National Workshop on freshwater fish taxonomy, Department of Life sciences, Manipur University, September 22-26: 14-28.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.