Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Imidacloprid induced oxidative stress and histopathological changes in liver of rats
First Online 26-05-2017|
Imidacloprid was evaluated for its effect on oxidative stress and histopathological changes in liver of Wistar albino rats at two dose levels (19 and 38 mg/kg/day) administered orally for 10, 20 and 30 days. Effects were compared with respective control groups administered with 2% gum acacia (1ml/100g). Different parameters undertaken were liver weight, oxidative stress parameters viz. activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GPx) and levels of reduced glutathione (GSH) and malondialdehyde (MDA), cytoplasmic and membrane proteins and histopathological changes in liver. Imidacloprid at 38 mg/kg dose significantly increased (p < 0.05) organ weight and levels of MDA in 20 and 30 days group. There was significant decreased (p < 0.05) in levels of cytoplasmic and membrane proteins and activities of enzymes SOD and GPx at 38 mg/kg dose administered for 20 and 30 days. GSH levels were decreased significantly (p < 0.05) at 38 mg/kg dose administered for 30 days. Degenerative changes in hepatocytes were observed at 38 mg/kg dose administered orally for 20 and 30 days.
- Abou-Donia, M.B., Goldstein. L.B., Bulman.S.,Tu. T., Khan.W.A, Dechkovskaia.A.M. and Abdel-Rahman. A.A.. (2008). Imidacloprid induces neurobehavioral deficits an increase expression of glial fibrillary acidic protein in the motor cortex and hippocampus in offspring rats following in utero exposure. J.Toxicol. Environ. Health, 71: 119–130.
- Anderson, M.E. and Luo. J.L. (1998). Glutathione therapy: From prodrugs to genes, Semin. Liver Dis.18: 415–424.
- Beutler, E., Duron. O. and Kelly B.M., (1963). Improved Method for the Determination of Blood Glutathione. J. of Lab. and Clin. Med. 61: 882–888.
- Cordone, M.A. and Durkin P.. (2005). Imidacloprid- Human health and ecological risk assessment- Final report, Syracuse Environmental Research Associates. (SERA TR 05-43-24-03a).
- David, D., George. I.A., Peter J.V. (2007). Toxicology of the newer neonicotinoid insecticides: Imidacloprid poisoning in a human. Clin. Toxicol.(Phila), 45: 485–486.
- Debnath, D., Mandal. T.K. (2000). Study of Quinalphos (an environmental oestrogenic insecticide) formulation (ekalux 25 E.C.) - induced damage of the testicular tissues and antioxidant defence systems in Sprague–Dawley Albino rats. J. Appl. Toxicol. 20(3): 197–204.
- El-Tawil, O.S. and Abdel-Rahman M.S., (2001). The role of enzyme induction and inhibition on cypermethrin hepatotoxicity. Pharmacol. Res.44: 33–40.
- Flower, K.B., Hoppin. J.A., Lynch. C.F., Blair. A., Knott. C., Shore. D.L., Sandler. D.P. (2004). Cancer risk and parental pesticide application in children of Agricultural Health Study participants. Environ. Health Perspect.112(5): 631–635.
- Giray, B., Gurbay. A. and Hincal. F. (2001): Cypermethrin-induced oxidative stress in rat brain and liver is prevented by vitamin E or allopurinol. Toxicol. Lett.,118: 139-146.
- Hafeman D.G., Sunde. R.A., Hoeskstra. W.G. (1974). Effect of dietary selenium on erythrocyte and liver glutathione peroxidase in the rat. J. Nutr.104: 580-587.
- Harper, A.J., Rodwell. V.M., Meyer P.A. (1977). Review of physiological chemistry,16th ed.
- Kalender, S., Kalender. Y., Durak. D., Ogutcu. A., Uzunhisarcikli. M., Cevrimli. B.S., and Yildirin. M. (2006). Methyl parathion induced nephrotoxicity in male rats and protective role of vitamins E and C Pest. Biochem. Physiol., 88(2): 213-218.
- Kammon A.M., Brar. R.S., Banga. H.S., Sodhi. S. (2010). Patho biochemical studies on hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity on exposure to imidacloprid in layer chickens. Veterinarski Arhiv. 80(5): 663-72.
- Khan, S. M., Sobti. R.C., and Kataria. L. (2005). Pesticide-induced Alteration in mice hepato-oxidative status and protective effects of black Tea Extract. Clin Chim Acta. 358(1-2): 131–138.
- Kumar, S., 2004.Occupational exposure associated with reproductive dysfunction, J. Occup. Health 46 (1): 1–19.
- Lopez A., Hernandez. A.F., Rodrigo. L., Gil. F., Pena. G., Serrano. J.L. (2007). Changes in antioxidant enzymes in humans with long-term exposure to pesticides. Toxicol. Lett. 171(3): 146–53.
- Luna, L.G. 1968. Manual of histological staining method of arms forces. Institute of pathology, 3rd ed. Mcgraw hills book company.
- Ohkawa, H., Ohishi. N., and Yagi. K. (1972). Assay for Lipid Peroxides in Female rats tissues by Thiobarbituric Acid Reaction. Analytical Biochemistry 95: 351–358.
- Madesh, M., and Balsubramanian. K.A. (1998). Microtitre plate assay for superoxide dismutase using MTT reduction by superoxide. Indian J. Biochemistry and Biophysics. 35: 184-188.
- Meister, R.T., 1994. Farm Chemicals Handbook. 2nd ed. New York. Meister Publishing Company; 82: 301-305.
- Mohany M., Badr. G., Refaat. I., Garraud. O., EI-feki. M. (2012) Thymoquinone ameliorates immunological and histological changes induced by exposure to imidacloprid insecticide. Toxicol Sci. 37(1): 1-11.
- Mansour, S. A., and Mossa. A.T.H., (2009). Lipid Peroxidation and Oxidative Stress in Rat Erythrocytes Induced by Chlorpyrifos and the Protective Effect of Zinc. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology 93(1): 34–39.
- Matsuda, K., Buckingham. S.D., Klier. D., Rauh. J.J., Marta. G., Sattelle. D.B.(2001). Neonicotinoides : insecticides acting on insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, Trends Pharmacol. Sci.22: 573–580.
- Omiana S.E., (2004) Protective effect of vitamin C and glutathione against the histopathological changes induced by imidacloprid in the liver and testis of Japanese quail. Egypt J Hosp Med 16:39-54
- Panse, V.G., and Sukhatme. D.V., (1978). Statistical method for agricultural workers, 3rd ed., ICAR, New Delhi.
- Paolini, M., Sapone. A., Gonzalez. F.J., (2004). Parkinson’s disease, pesticides and individual vulnerability. Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 25(3):124–129.
- Parke, D.V., and Piotrowski. J.K., 1996. Glutathione: Its role in the detoxication of reactive oxygen species and environmental chemicals. Acta Polon. Toxicology 4(1): 1–13.
- Rai, D. K., and Sharma. B., (2007). Carbofuran-induced Oxidative Stress in Mammalian Brain. Molecular Biotechnology 37(1): 66–71.
- Richardson, R. J. (1981). Toxicology of the nervous system. Toxicology principles and practice, A. L. Reeves (Ed). Wiley Inter Science Publishers, Toranto.
- Rhodes, C., Jones. B.K., Croucher. A., Huston. D.H., Logan. C.J., Hoppines. R., Hall. B.E., and Vickers. J.A., (1984): The bioaccumulation and biotransformation of cis-trans cypermethrin in the rat. Pestic. Sci.15: 471-480.
- Salameh, P.R., Baldi. I.,. Brochard. P, Raherison. C., AbiSaleh. B., Salamon. R., (2003). Respiratory symptoms in children on exposure to pesticides. J. Eur. Respir. 22: 507–512.
- Shakoori, A.R., Aslam. F. and Sabir. M.A., (1992). Effects of prolonged administration of insecticides (cyhalothrin/karate) on the blood and liver of rabbits. Folia.Biol. 40: 91-99.
- Swamy, K. V., Ravikumar R., and Murali Mohan. P., (1992). Effect of chronic sublethal daily dosing of monocrotophos on some aspects of protein metabolism in rat brain. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol.49: 723-729.
- Tomizawa, M., and Casida. J.E., (2000). Imidacloprid, thiacloprid, and their imine derivatives up-regulate the á4â2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in M10 cells. Toxicol.Appl. Pharmacol. 169: 114–120.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.