Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Morphometrics and length-weight relationship of Schizothorax curvifrons Heckel 1838 in River Jhelum, Kashmir, India
First Online 26-10-2016|
Schizothorax curvifrons, an indigenous cyprinid fish of Kashmir, forms an important coldwater fishery resource of the valley. This study was aimed to describe the morphometrics and length-weight relationship of S. curvifrons in River Jhelum Kashmir. The various morphometric characters showed high co-efficient of correlation (r) values, indicating that the characters were highly correlated to each other. The length-weight relationship was established logarithmically as Log W = -3.9323 + 2.5863 Log L (r2=0.746) for males, Log W = -4.1708 + 2.6852 (r2=0.745) Log L for females and Log W = -3.9975 + 2.6138 Log L (r2=0.746) for pooled data. The b value (2.6138) was found to be significantly different from 3 indicating negative allometric growth.
- Berg, L. S. (1964). Freshwater fishes of the USSR and adjacent countries. Vol 2, 4th edition. Israel Program for Scientific Translations Ltd., Jerusalem.
- Beyer, J. E. (1987). On length-weight relationship. Fishbyte 5: 11-13.
- Bhagat, M. J. and Sunder, S. (1984). Some biological aspects of Schizothoraicthys esocinus Heckel, from Kashmir waters with a note on its utility in culture. J. Inland Fish. Soc.India, 16: 42-47.
- Bhat, F. A., Yousuf, A. R., Balkhi, M. H., Mahdi, M. D., Shah, F. A. (2010). Length-weight relationship and morphometric characteristics of Schizothorax spp. in the River Lidder of Kashmir. Indian J. Fish., 57: 73–76.
- Bhat, F. A., Balkhi, M. H., Najar, A. M., Shah, F. A. and Khan. I. (2013). Conservation of schizothoracid (Schizothorax esocinus Heckel) in aquatic environments of Kashmir. Himalayas vis a vis study on its various biological parameters. In: National conference on Status and Conservation of Biodiversity in India with special reference to Himalaya, October 4-5, 2013.
- Dwivedi, S. N. and Menezes, M. R. (1974). A note on the morphometry and ecology of Brachirus orientalis (Bloch and Schneider) in the estuaries of Goa. Geobios 1: 80-83.
- Gharaie, A. (2012). Morphometric and meristic studies of snow trout, Schizothorax zaruduyi (Nikolskii, 1987) as a threatened endemic fish. World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences 4: 426-429.
- Grant, C. J. and Spain, A. V. (1977). Variation in the body shape of three species of Australian mullets (Pisces: Mugillidae) during the course of development. Aust. J. Mar. Freshwater Res. 28: 723-738.
- Hussain, M. A., Khatun, M. A., Siddique, M. A. B., Flowra, F. A., Alam, M. M. and Sultana, S. (2012). Morphometric characters of fresh water fish Xenentedon cancila collected from Rajshahi City, Bangladesh. Journal of Bio Science, 20: 171-177.
- Khan, M. A. and Sabah. (2013). Length weight and length-length relationships for five species from Kashmir Valley. Journal of Applied Ichthyology, 29: 283-284.
- Laevastu, T. (1965). Manual of Methods in Fisheries Biology. Research on fish stocks. FAO Manuals in Fisheries Science 4: 1-51.
- Lagler, K. F., Bardach, J. E. and Miller, R. R. (1962). Ichthyology (The study of fishes) John Wiley, New York, 545 pp.
- Le Cren, E. D. (1951). The length-weight relationship and seasonal cycle in gonad weight and condition in the perch (Perca fluviatilis). J. Anim. Ecol. 20: 201-219.
- Lowe-McConnell, R. H. (1971). Identification of freshwater fishes. In: Methods of Assessment of Fish Production in freshwaters. [W.E. Ricker (ed)]. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford and Edinburg, pp: 45-81..
- Mir, J. I, Shabir, R. and Mir, F. A. (2012). Length-weight relationship and condition factor of Schizopyge curvifrons (Heckel, 1838) from River Jhelum, Kashmir, India. World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences 3: 325-329.
- Mommsen, T. P. (1998). Growth and metabolism. In: The Physiology of the Fishes, [D. H. Evans (ed)]. CRC Press, New York, pp: 65-97.
- Pandit, A. K. (1987). Some aspects of biology and embryonic development of Schizothorax niger, M. Phil. Dissertation, University of Kashmir, Srinagar, Kashmir.
- Qadri, M. Y. and Mir, S. (1979). Reproductive biology of Orienus plagiostomus. Second All India Seminar on Ichthyology, Nainital. p. 9.
- Shah, T. H., Balkhi, M. H., Asimi, O. A. and Khan, I. (2013). Length weight relationship and ponderal index of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss W. 1792) from Dachigam stream in Kashmir. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 8: 1277-1279.
- Shah, T. H., Balkhi, M. H., Najar, A. M. and Asimi, O. A. (2011). Morphometry, length weight relationship and condition factor of farmed female rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in Kashmir. Indian J. Fish., 58: 51-56.
- Snedecor, G. W. and Cochran, W. G. (1967). Statistical Methods (6th Ed.). Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi, 593 pp.
- Sundar, S. (1979). A review on the biological studies of Schizothoracids in J &K state and elsewhere in India and their Cultural possibilities. Recent Researchers in Coldwater Fisheries, pp. 152-171.
- Sunder, S. (1984). Biology of an indigenous carp Schizothorax curvifrons (Heckel) from a stretch of river Jehlum with certain hydrobiological parameters. PhD Thesis. Deptt. Of Zoology, University of Kashmir, Srinagar, Kashmir.
- Sundar, S. and Subla, B.A. (1985). Fish and Fisheries of River Jhelum, Kashmir. Zoological Orientalis 1: 34-39.
- Talwar, P. K. and Jhingran, A. G. (1991). Inland fishes of India and Adjacent Countries. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta, 402 pp.
- Thomas, J., Venu, S. and Kurup, B. M. (2003). Length-weight relationship of some deep-sea fish inhabiting the continental slope beyond 250m depth along the west coast of India. NAGA ICLARM Quarterly 26: 17-21.
- Weatherley, A. H. and Gill, H. S. (1987). The Biology of Fish Growth. 443 pp. Academic Press, London,
- Yousuf, A. R., Bhat, F. A., Mehdi, D., Ali, S, and Ahangar, M. A. (2003). Food and feeding habits of Glyptosternon reticulatum (McClleland & Griffth) in torrential streams of Kashmir Himalayas. J. Res.Dev., 3: 123-133.
- Yousuf, A. R., Firdous, G. and Pandit, Anil, K. (2001). Length-Weight Relationship in Schizothorax niger Heckel, an endemic Lacustrine fish of Kashmir. J. Res. Dev., 1: 54-59.
- Yousuf, A. R., Gazala, F., Balkhi, M. H. and Pandit, A. K. (1992). Studies on the length-weight relationship in some cyprinid fish in Manasbal Lake, Kashmir. In: Current Trends in Fish and Fishery Biology and Aquatic Ecology, [A.R. Yousuf, M.K. Raina, and M.Y. Qadri, (eds)]. Postgraduate Department of Zoology, University of Kashmir, Srinagar, pp. 185-189.
- Zargar, U. R., Yousuf, A. R., Mushtaq, B. and Jan, D. (2012). Length–weight relationship of the crucian carp, Carassius carassius in relation to water quality, sex and season in some lentic water bodies of Kashmir Himalayas. Turk. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 12: 683-689.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.