Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of genetic and non-genetic factors on age at first calving in Sahiwal cattle
First Online 27-01-2016|
The present study was conducted on Sahiwal cows maintained at Uttar Pradesh Livestock- cum- Agriculture Farm, Chak Ganjaria, Lucknow. A total of 1194 records on age at first calving (AFC) spanning over a period of 57 years (1949 to 2006) were subjected to least squares analysis using suitable statistical model considering sire as random while period and season as fixed effects. The least squares mean of AFC was estimated to be 1251.77± 22.15 days. The least squares analysis revealed significant effect (P £ 0.01) of sire and period. However, the effect of season was found to be non-significant. The heritability estimate of age at first calving was found to be 0.159. The genetic, phenotypic and environmental trend for AFC were -3.31, 32.78 and 36.09 respectively. It was concluded from the present findings that selection of sire may be practiced for genetic improvement of this trait and ameliorative managemental practices should be employed to improve upon the trait i.e. age at first calving.
- Balasubramaniam, S., Singh, M., Gowane, G. R. and Kumar, S. (2013). Estimate of genetic and non-genetic parameters and trends for age at first calving in Sahiwal cows. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 83(9): 948-952.
- Banik, S.and Gandhi, R.S. (2007). Effectiveness of DFREML versus conventional methods of Sahiwal sire evaluation. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 77(1):1143-1147.
- Bhatnagar, D.S., Taneja, V.K., Basu, S.B. and Murthi, K.M.R. (1983). Genetic parameters for some economic traits in Sahiwal cattle. .Indian J. Dairy Sci., 36: 402-406.
- Cunningham, E.P. and Syrstad, O. (1987). Crossbreeding Bos indicus and Bos taurus for milk production in the tropics. FAO Animal Production and Health Paper 68. Food Agric. Org. United Nations, Rome, P. 90.
- Dobos, R.C., Nandra, K.S., Riley, K., Fulkerson, W.J., Alford, A. and Lean, I.J. (2004) Effects of age and live-weight of dairy heifers at first calving on multiple lactation production. Aust. J. Exp. Agric., 44: 969-974.
- Ilatsia, E. D., Muasya, T. K., Muhuyi, W. B. and Kahi, A. K. (2007). Genetic and phenotypic parameters and annual trends for milk production and fertility traits of the Sahiwal cattle in semi arid Kenya. Trop. Anim. Health Prod., 39 (1): 37-48.
- Ettema, J. F. and Santos, J.E. (2004). Impact of age at calving on lactation, reproduction, health, and income in first parity Holsteins on commercial farms. J. Dairy Sci., 87: 2730-2742.
- Falconer, D.S. and Mackay, T.F.C. (1996). Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, Harlow, England, P. 480.
- Gandhi, R.S. and Gurnani, M. (1990). Breeding efficiency and producing ability as contrasting traits in Sahiwal cows. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 60(4): 482-485.
- Harvey, W.R. (1990). User guide for LSMLMW and MIXMDL package. Mix Model Least Squares and Maximum Likelihood Computer Programme .PC-2 Version.Mimeograph, Columbia, Chio, USA.
- Hintz, R. L., Everett, R. W. and Van Vleck, L. D. (1978). Estimation of Genetic Trends from Cow and Sire Evaluations. Faculty Papers and Publications in Animal Science. Paper 360.
- Khan, U.N., Dahlin, A., Zafar, A.H.,Saleem, M., Chaudhary, M.A.A. and Philipsen, J. (1999). Sahiwal in Pakistan: Genetic and environmental causes of variation in body weight and reproduction and their relationship of milk production. Pak. J. Agric. Res., 68(1): 97-108.
- Mahoney, C.B., Hansen, L.B., Young, C.W., Marx, G.D., Reneau, J.K. (1986). Health care of Holsteins selected for large and small body size. J. Dairy Sci., 69: 3131-3139.
- Nandagawali, S.B., Kothekar, M.D., Gore, A.K. and Deshmukh S.N. (1996). Effect of non-genetic factors and inbreeding on reproduction and production traits in Sahiwal. Indian Vet. J., 73(2): 159-163.
- Nilforooshan, M. A. and Edriss, M. A. (2004). Effect of age at first calving on some productive and longevity traits in Iranian Holsteins of the Isfahan Province. J. Dairy Sci., 87: 2130-2135.
- Ojango, J. M. K., Ducrocq, V. and Pollott, G.E. (2005). Survival analysis of factors affecting culling early in the productive life of Holstein-Friesian cattle in Kenya. Livest. Prod. Sci., 92: 317-322.
- Rathi, R.C., Sharma, R., Singh, V. and Tripathi, S.C. (1992). Genetic studies on reproductive traits in Sahiwal and its crossbreds. Int. J. Anim Sci., 7(1): 93-95.
- Sawa, A. and Bogucki, M. (2010). Effect of some factors on cow longevity. Arch. Tierz., 53: 403-414.
- Singh, C.V. and Dubey, P.P. (2005). Estimates of genetic and phenotypic paramenters.Considering first lactation and life time performance traits in Sahiwal and Crossbred cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 75(11): 1289-1294.
- Singh, N.,Dahiya, S.P. and Dalal, D.S. (2001). Non-genetic factors affecting performance traits in Sahiwal cattle. Indian J. Vet. Res., 10(2): 7-11.
- Smith, C. (1962). Estimation of genetic change in farm livestock using field records. Anim. Prod., 4: 239–51.
- Tozer, P.R. and Heinrichs, A. J. (2001). What affects the costs of raising replacement dairy heifers: A multiple-component analysis. J. Dairy Sci., 84: 1836-1844.
- Yadav, A.S., Rathi, S.S., Dahiya, S.P. and Arora, D.N. (1992) . Factors affecting some performance traits in Sahiwal cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 47(5): 480-484.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.