Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of cigarette smoke on TNF-a and IL-1b mRNA expression in lung tissues and cells of rats
First Online 31-12-2015|
We investigated lung tissue expression of the pro-inflammatory cytokines TNF-a and IL-1b in response to cigarette smoke exposure and the ensuing effects on arterial oxygen and carbon dioxide as indices of respiratory function. Experimental group rats were exposed to cigarette smoke twice daily (30 min per exposure) for 28 consecutive days. Arterial partial pressure of oxygen (PO2), arterial partial pressure of carbon dioxide (PCO2), and both mRNA and protein expression levels of TNF-a and IL-1b were compared to a control group. Contents of TNF-a and IL-1b in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) and lung homogenate were detected by enzyme linked immunosorbent assays while TNF-a mRNA and IL-1b mRNA expression levels in lung tissue were detected by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. Arterial PO2 was significantly lower in the experimental group than the control group, while the arterial PCO2 was significantly higher. BALF levels of TNF-a and IL-1b were significantly higher in the experimental group than the control group, as were TNF-a mRNA and IL-1b mRNA expression levels in lung tissue. Cigarette smoke may activate inflammatory cells in the pulmonary circulation and increase the expression of the pro-inflammatory cytokines TNF-a and IL-1b in lung tissue, leading to lung injury and respiratory dysfunction.
- Arnson Y., Shoenfeld Y., Amital H. (2010). Effects of tobacco smoke on immunity, inflammation and autoimmunity. J Autoimmun., 34:258-265.
- Athanasios Valavanidis., Thomais Vlachogianni., Konstantinos Fiotakis. (2009). Tobacco Smoke: Involvement of Reactive Oxygen Species and Stable Free Radicals in Mechanisms of Oxidative Damage, Carcinogenesis and Synergistic Effects with Other Respirable Particles. Int J Environ Res Public Health., 6: 445–462.
- Baluk P., Yao LC., Feng J., Romano T., Jung SS., Schreiter JL. (2009). TNF-alpha drives remodeling of blood vessels and lymphatics in sustained airway inflammation in mice. J Clin Invest., 119:2954-2964.
- Ben-Sasson SZ., Caucheteux S., Crank M, Hu-Li J., Paul WE. (2011).IL-1 acts on T cells to enhance the magnitude of in vivo immune responses. Cytokine ., 56:122–125.
- Chen QK., Jiang GN., Ding JA., Xie BX., Chen XF. (2008). Analysis on expression of proinflammatory cytokine IL-1b mRNA after pulmonary ischemia-reperfusion injury. Fudan Univ J Med Sci., 35:560-563.
- Dinarello CA. (2011). Interleukin-1 in the pathogenesis and treatment of inflammatory diseases. Blood ., 117:3720"3732.
- Ebert EC. (2009). Infliximab and the TNF-a system. Am J Phisiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 296:G612-620.
- Ichikawa T., Nakao K., Nakata K., Yamashita M., Hamasaki K., Shigeno M. (2002).
- Involvement of IL-1beta and IL-10 in IFN-alpha-mediated antiviral gene induction in human hepatoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 294:414–422.
- Jiang H., Zhu Y., Xu H., Sun Y., Li Q. (2010). Activation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha vianuclear factor-kappa Bin rats with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai)., 42:483"488.
- Li WF., Li W., Wan D., et al. (2011). In-vitro and in-vivo study on effect of cigarette smoke on secretion of IL-1, IL-6 and IL-8 level in lung cells. J Environ Health., 28:287-289.
- Maltais F., Decramer M., Casaburi R., Barreiro E., Burelle Y., Debigaré R., et al. (2014).An Official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society Statement: Update on Limb Muscle Dysfunction in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med., 189:15–62.
- Marissa G. Hall, MSPH., Kurt M. Ribisl, PhD., and Noel T. Brewer, PhD. (2014). Smokers’ and nonsmokers’ beliefs about harmful tobacco constituents: Implications for FDA Communication Efforts. Nicotine Tob Res. 16: 343–350.
- Orosz Z., Csiszar A., Labinskyy N., Smith K, Kaminski PM., Ferdinandy P., Wolin MS., Rivera A, Ungvari Z. (2007). Cigarette smoke-induced proinflammatory alterations in the endothelial phenotype: role of NAD(P)H oxidase activation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol., 292:H130–H139.
- Pryor WA., Curch DF., Evans MD., Rice WY., Hayes JR. (1990). A comparison of the free radical chemistry of tobacco- burning cigarettes and cigarettes that only heat tobacco. Free Radic., Biol. Med. 8:275–279.
- Ridker PM., Thuren T., Zalewski A., Libby P. (2011).Interleukin-1beta inhibition and the prevention of recurrent cardiovascular events: rationale and design of the Canakinumab Anti-inflammatory Thrombosis Outcomes Study (CANTOS). Am Heart J. 162:597"605.
- Sin DD., Man SF. (2003).Why are patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at increased risk of cardiovascular diseases. The potential role of systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Circulation.107:1514"1519.
- Sun D., Liu ZS., Yao H., Kang SX., He CY., Hu JS..( 2011).Effects of TNF-alpha on ICAM-1 and LFA-1 expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of children with febrile seizures. Zhongguo Dangdai Erke Zazhi., 13:285"287.
- Zheng HA. (2003).Research progress in establishment method of animal model of COPD. Acta Laboratorium Animalis Scientia Sinica., 11:249"252.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.