Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Biochemical and hormonal profile of epididymis of buck during winter and summer season
First Online 25-04-2017|
The present investigation was designed to study certain morphological and biochemical characteristics of epididymal washings/plasma during winter and summer season in the bucks. These studies were undertaken with the view to find out the effects of summer season on the epididymal physiology of bucks. The spermatozoa of the cauda epididymis showed higher mass motility as compared to corpus epididymis and caput epididymis in which they were non-motile in both the seasons. The total protein content (g/dl) was increased significantly (P<0.01) in summer season as compared to winter season in the epididymis of experimental bucks. Epididymal cholesterol content was comparable during summer season and winter season. pH of all the epididymal portions during both seasons was detected to be 6.7. The higher sodium ion concentration was found in caput epididymis during winter season. In caput, corpus and cauda, the concentration of potassium was comparable during summer and winter seasons. Serum cortisol and T3 concentrations were significantly (P<0.05) increased during summer as compared to the winter season.
- Anguiar, G.V., Van-Tilburg, M.F., Catunda, A.G.V., Celes, C.K.S., Lima, I.C.S., Campos, A.C.N., Mourya, A.A.A. and Araujo, A.A. (2013). Sperm parameters and biochemical component of goat seminal plasma in the Brazilian- Northeast: the seasons influence on the cooling of semen. Arquiro Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, 65: 75-84
- Arrebola, F., Perez-Marin, C.C., Santiagomoreno, J. (2010). Limitation of seasonality in reproductive parameters of Mediterranean bucks, using photoperiod treatment. Small Ruminants Research, 89: 31–35
- Baronos, S., Mann, T., Rowson, L.E.A. and Skinner, J.D. (1970). The effect of nutrition and androgens on the composition of bovine blood plasma and seminal plasma at puberty. British Journal of Nutrition, 23: 191-194.
- Carlos E.A.S., Maria, G.F.S., Italo, C.S.L., Arlindo, A.M. , Davide, R , and Airton, A.A. (2010). Seasonal variations in physiological and semen parameters, activity of antioxidant enzymes in the seminal plasma and peripheral concentrations of steroids in Saanen (Capra hircus) bucks raised under tropical conditions in Brazil. Biology of Reproduction, 83: 541.
- Gadell, B.M.(2008). The assembly of a zona pellucid binding protein complex in sperm. Reproduction in Domestic Animal, 43: 12-19.
- Guha, M. (1996). Studies on certain aspects of the epididymal physiology of buffaloes in breeding and non-breeding seasons. M.V.Sc. Thesis JNKVV, Jabalpur.
- Habeeb, A.A.M., Teama, F.E.I., Nesseim, M.Z. and Elwan, K.M. (2008). Evaluation of Physical Semen Characteristics of Male Rabbits Exposed to Different Climatic Conditions and Lighting Regimes Using Nuclear Techniques. Proceedings of the 9 International Conference for Nuclear Sciences and Applications, Egypt, pp.1239.
- Jesse, S.J. and Howards, S.S. (1976). A survey of sperm Na+ and K+ concentration in the tubular fluid of hamster epididymis. Biology of Reproduction, 15: 626-631.
- Jindal, S.K., Goel, A.K., Kumar, A., Rout, P.K., Gupta, V.K. and Kumar, V. (2011). Vision 2030. Central Institute for Research on Goat (CIRG). Makhdoom, Mathura (U.P.)
- Jones, R. (1978). Comparative biochemistry of mammalian epididymal plasma. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 61: 365.
- Juma, T.F., Abdul-Had, O. and Al-Kassab. (2009). Effect of seasonal variation on physical and biochemical properties of local Hamdni rams semen in erbil region. Mesopotania Journal of Agriculture, 27: 1056-1065.
- La-folic, V.S.N., Tortorella, A.H., Rodrigues, J.L. and Brandelli, A. (2002). A seasonal variation of goat seminal plasma protein. Theriogenology, 53: 1035-1048.
- Mann, T. and Mann, C.L. (1981). Biochemistry of seminal plasma and accessory fluid in male reproductive function and semen. Springer Vertag, Berlin, Heidel Berg, New York. pp. 303-318.
- Mann, T., (1948). Studies on the metabolism of semen fructose as a normal constituent of seminal plasma. Biochemistry Journal, 40: 481-491.
- Moghaddam, G.H., Pourseif, M.M. and Rafat, S.A. (2012). Seasonal variation in semen quantity and quality traits of Iranian crossbred rams. Journal of Animal Science, 45: 67-75.
- Muino-Blanco, T., Perez-pe, R. and Perez-cebriani, J.A. (2008). Seminal plasma protein and sperm resistance to stress. Reproduction in Domestic Animals, 43: 18-31.
- Okab, A.B. (2007). Semen characteristics and plasma testosterone of New-Zealand male rabbits as affected by environmental temperature. Journal of Animal Science, 40: 161-167.
- Tietz, N.W. (Ed). Text book of Clinical Chemistry,W.B. Saunders, 1986, pp. 579.
- Todini, L., Delgadillo, A.J. and Chemineau, P. (2005). Plasma total T3 and T4 concentrations in bucks as affected by photoperiod. Small Ruminant Research, 65: 8-13.
- Varsheney, V.P., Sengupta, B.P. and Pandey, M.D. (1977). Transaminase dehydrogenase and cholesterol level of buffalo semen. Indian Veterinary Journal, 55: 173-176.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.