Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Reproductive and productive performances of crossbred Andaman local pigs under small holder production system at Bay Islands, India
First Online 21-03-2016|
The present study appraises different traditional feeding practices followed by farmers and effect of dietary zinc supplementation on the reproductive and productive performances of crossbred Andaman local pigs. In the 1st experiment the effect of three feeding practices were evaluated and in the 2nd experiment the effect of supplementation of 80 ppm Zn on growth of weanling piglets were evaluated. The locally available feed ingredients like rice bran, taro (Colocasia esculenta) leaves, broken rice, broken wheat, maize, and coconut cake were used in different proportion for feeding. The different reproductive parameters like the mean age at puberty, age at first conception and first farrowing and various litter traits varied significantly (<0.01) among the three treatment groups. In the next experiment the effect of Zn supplementation on post weaning growth performances of piglets were studied. In treatment group (n=5) 80 ppm Zn was supplemented along with normal farm diet where as in control group (n=5) normal diet was given. The experiment continued for three months. The results showed that the sow receiving the ration made up of coconut cake, broken rice or maize performed better than the sow receiving ration made up of colocasia leaves and rice bran in respect of reproductive performances. Similarly, inclusion of 80 ppm Zn in stater ration enhanced the daily body weight.
- Carlson, M.S., Hill, G.M. and Link, J.E., (1999). Early-and traditionally weaned nursery pigs benefit from phase-feeding pharmacological concentrations of zinc oxide: Effect on metallothionein and mineral concentrations. Journal of Animal Science. 77: 1199-1207.
- Carter, N., Dewey, C., Mutua, F., de Lange, C. and Grace, D., (2013). Average daily gain of local pigs on rural and peri- urban smallholder farms in two districts of Western Kenya. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 45: 1533-1538.
- De, A.K., Jeyakumar, S., Kundu, A., Kundu, M.S., Sunder, J. and Ramachandran, M., (2013). Genetic characterization of Andaman Desi pig, an indigenous pig germplasm of Andaman and Nicobar group of islands, India by microsatellite markers. Veterinary World. 6 : 750-753.
- De, A.K., Jeyakumar, S., Kundu, M.S., Kundu, A., Sunder, J. and Ramachandran, M., (2014). Farming practices and genetic characterization of Nicobari pig, an indigenous pig germplasm of Nicobar group of islands, India. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 46: 655–661.
- Gansberghem, D.V., (2005). Improving livelihoods in the uplands of the Lao PDR. National Growth and Poverty Eradication Strategy (NGPES), Vientiane, Lao PDR. 3–11.
- Hahn, J.D. and Baker, D.H., (1993). Growth and plasma zinc responses of young pigs fed pharmacologic levels of zinc. Journal of Animal Science. 71: 3020–3024.
- Jeyakumar, S., Kundu, A., Yadav, S.P., Sunder, J., Balakrishnan, M., Kundu, M.S., Sujatha, T., Verma S.K. and Srivastava, R.C., (2012). Diversity and Conservation of Farm Animal Genetic Resources (FAnGR) of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Ecology of Faunal Communities on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. (Springer Publication).
- Kadirvel, G., Kumaresan, A., Das, A., Bujarbaruah, K.M., Venkatasubramanian, V., and Ngachan, S.V., (2013). Artificial insemination of pigs reared under smallholder production system in North-Eastern India: Success rate, genetic improvement and monetary benefit. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 45: 679-686.
- Kim, J.C., Hansen, C.F., Mullana, B.P., and Pluske, J.R., (2012). Nutrition and pathology of weaner pigs: Nutritional strategies to support barrier function in the gastrointestinal tract. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 173: 3–16.
- Kumar, S., Prasad, N., Thakur, S., Singh, S.K. and Bhakt, R., (2004). Effect of zinc levels on the growth of pigs. Indian Journal of Animal Nutrition. 21: 67-68.
- Kumaresan, A., Bujarbaruah, K.M., Pathak, K.A., Chhetri, B., Das, S.K., Das, A. and Ahmed, S.K., (2007). Performance of pigs reared under traditional tribal low input production system and chemical composition of nonconventional tropical plants used as pig feed. Livestock Science. 107: 294–298.
- Kumaresan, A., Bujarbaruah, K.M., Pathak, K.A., Das, A., and Bardoloi, R.K., (2009). Integrated resource-driven pig production systems in a mountainous area of Northeast India: production practices and pig performance. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 41: 1187-1196.
- Kundu, M.S., Kundu, A., Jeyakumar, S., Sujatha, T., Sunder, J., and Verma, S.K., (2011). Effect of feeding colocasia on growth performance of Large White Yorkshire pigs reared under back yard system at Bay Islands. Environment and Ecology. 29: 337-338.
- Kundu, M.S., De, A.K., Jeyakumar, S., Sunder, J, Kundu, A., and Sujatha, T., (2014) Effect of zinc supplementation on reproductive performance of Teressa goat, Veterinary World 7:380-383.
- Kundu, A., Sunder, J., Jeyakumar, S., Verma, S.K., Kundu, M.S., De, A.K. and Srivastava, R.C., (2010). Livestock and poultry production policy for Andaman and Nicobar Islands: A scientific perspective. Published by Director, CARI, Port Blair. 1-48.
- Madzimure, J., Chimonyo, M., Zander, K.K. and Dzama, K., (2013). Potential for using indigenous pigs in subsistence- oriented and market-oriented small-scale farming systems of Southern Africa. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 45: 135-142.
- Mutua, F.K., Dewey, C., Arimi, S., Ogara, W., Levy, M. and Schelling, E., (2012). A description of local pig feeding systems in village smallholder farms of Western Kenya. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 44: 1157–1162.
- Nath, B.G., Pathak, P.K., Ngachan, S.V., Tripathi, A.K. and Mohanty, A. K., (2013). Characterization of smallholder pig production system: productive and reproductive performances of local and crossbred pigs in Sikkim Himalayan region. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 45: 1513-1518.
- Ndon, B.A., Ndulaka, N.H. and Ndaego, N.U., (2003). Stabilization of yield parameters and some nutrient component in cocoyam cultivars with time in Uyo, Southern Nigeria. Global Journal of Agricultural Science. 2:74-78
- Onwueme, I.C., (1999). Taro cultivation in Asia and the Pacific. RAP Publication: 1999/16. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific. Bangkok, Thailand.
- Phengsavanh, P., Ogle, B., Stür, W., Frankow-Lindberg, B.E. and Lindberg, J.E., (2010). Feeding and performance of pigs in smallholder production systems in Northern Lao PDR. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 42: 1627–1633.
- Poulsen, H.D., (1995). Zinc oxide for weanling piglets. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica. 45: 159–167.
- Prakash, M.G., Ravi, A., Puniakumari, B.P. and Rao, D.S., (2008). Reproductive and productive performance of cross bred pigs. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences. 78: 1291-97.
- Smith, F., Clark, J.E., Overman, B.L., Tozel, C.C., Huang, J.H., Rivier, J.E., Blisklager, A.T. and Moeser, A.J., (2010). Early weaning stress impairs development of mucosal barrier function in the porcine intestine. American Journal of Physiology - Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology. 298: G352–G363.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G., (1994). Statistical Methods, 9 th ed., Iowa State University Press, Ames, U.S.A.
- Sunder, J., Rai, R.B., Yasmeen, J., Kundu, A. and Jeyakumar, S., (2007a). Mineral status of infertile cattle of Andaman. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences. 77: 1135.
- Sunder, J., Rai, R.B., Yasmeen, J., Kundu, A., and Jeyakumar, S., (2007b). Mineral profile in soil, grass, water and cattle blood of South Andaman’s. Indian Journal of Animal. Sciences. 77: 1103-1107.
- Toan, N.H. and Preston, T.R., (2010). Taro as a local feed resource for pigs in small scale household condition. Livestock Research for Rural Development. 22: 152 (http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd22/8/toan22152.htm).
- Tumuhimbise, R., Talwana, H.L., Osiru, D.S.O., Serem, A.K., Ndabikunze, B.K., Nandi, J.O.M., and Palapala, V., (2009). Growth and Development of Wetland-Grown Taro under different plant populations and seed bed types in Uganda, African Crop. Science Journal. 17: 49 – 60.
- Wang, J. K., (1983). Taro, a review of Colocasia esculenta and its potential. University of Hawaii Press. 300-312.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.