Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Evaluation of lipid changes in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) spermatozoa during in-vitro capacitation and acrosome reaction
First Online 22-12-2015|
In this study, buffalo spermatozoa were in-vitro capacitated and acrosome reacted using modified Tyrode’s bicarbonate-buffered medium (sp-TALP media). Lipids were extracted from freshly ejaculated, in-vitro capacitated and acrosome reacted buffalo spermatozoa. The total lipid content of freshly ejaculated spermatozoa (171.5±2.90 µg/108 cells), capacitated spermatozoa (128.2±3.29 µg/108 cells) and acrosome reacted spermatozoa (115.7±2.04 µg/108 cells) were found significantly (P<0.05) different. During the process of capacitation and acrosome reaction (AR) there was substantial loss of total lipids. The total Lipid content of freshly ejaculated, capacitated and acrosome reacted spermatozoa were fractionated into three major classes namely, Phospholipids, Neutral lipids and Glycolipids. Among the classes of lipids; there was no change in concentration of glycolipids. Phospholipids in fresh, capacitated and acrosome reacted spermatozoa were 84.27±1.96, 58.40±2.40 and 50.51±1.27 µg/108 cells respectively. In case of Neutral lipids, the concentration were 33.63±2.62,22.55±1.86 and 11.61±0.87 µg/108 cells in fresh, capacitated and acrosome reacted spermatozoa respectively. The results generated by this study will be one step further to understand the lipid changes in buffalo spermatozoa during capacitation, acrosome reaction and fertilization process.
- Akhter,S., Ansari, M.S., Rakha, B.A., Andrabi, S.M.H., Anwar, M. and Ullah, N., (2010). Effect of fructose addition in skim milk extender on the quality of liquid Nili-Ravi buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) semen. Pakistan J. Zool., 43: 272-278.
- Bailey, J.L., Bilodeau, J.F., Cormier N, (2000).Semen cryopreservation in domestic animals:a damaging and capacitating phenomenon. J Androl. 21:1–7.
- Bearer, E. L. and Friend, D. S. (1982). Modifications of anionic-lipid domains preceding membrane fusion in guinea pig sperm. J. Cell Biol. 92:604-615
- Bligh, E.G., and Dyer, W.J. (1959). A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Canad J Biochem Physiol., 37:911-917.
- Cross, N.L. (2003): Decrease in order of human sperm lipids during capacitation. Biol Reprod 69:529–534.
- Dreyfus H.,Gurold B.,Freysz L. and Hicks D. (1997).Successive Isolation and Separation of the Major Lipid Fractions Including Gangliosides from Single Biological Samples. Analytical Biochemistry 249.1:67-78
- Gadella, B. M., Lopescardozo, M., Vangolde, L. M. C., Colenbrander, B.and Gadella, T. W. J. (1995). Glycolipid migration from the apical to the equatorial subdomains of the sperm head plasma membrane precedes the acrosome reaction. Evidence for a primary capacitation event in boar spermatozoa. J. Cell Sci. 108:935-946.
- Galantino-Homer H.L., Visconti P..E and Kopf G.S., (1997). Regulation of protein tyrosine phosphorylation during bovine sperm capacitation by a cyclic adenosine 3’, 5’- monophosphate-dependent pathway. Biol Reprod 56:707–719.
- Langlais, J. and Roberts,K. D. (1985). A molecular membrane model of sperm capacitation and the acrosome reaction of mammalian spermatozoa.Gamete Res. 12:183-224.
- Parks, J.E. and Lynch, D.V. (1992). Lipid composition and thermotropic phase behaviour of boar, bull, stallion, and rooster sperm membranes. Cryobiology.,29:255–66.
- Parrish, J.J., Susko-Parrish J.L., Winer M.A.and First, N.L.(1988). Capacitation of bovine sperm by heparin. Biol Reprod., 38:1171–1180.
- Roldan, E. R. S. and Fragio, C. (1993). Phospholipase-A2 activation and subsequent exocytosis in the Ca2+/ionophore- induced acrosome reaction of ram spermatozoa. J. Biol. Chem. 268: 13962-13970.
- Roy, S.C., Atreja, S.K., (2009): Capacitation associated protein tyrosine phosphorylation starts early in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) spermatozoa as compared to cattle Anim. Reprod Sci 110: 319–325.
- Sansone, G., Nastri M.J.F.and Fabbrocini, A., (2000): Storage of buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) semen. Anim Reprod Sci 62: 55–76
- Takei, G.H.,Fleming,A.D. and Yanagimachi,R. (1984). Phspholipids guinea pig spermatozoa before and after capacitation in vitro. Andrologia. 16: 38-37
- Ward, C.R. and Storey, B.T. (1984). Determination of the time course of capacitation in mouse spermatozoa using a chlortetracycline ûuorescence assay. Dev. Biol., 104: 287–296.
- Wolf, D. E., Hagopian, S. S. and Ishijima, S. (1986). Changes in sperm plasma membrane lipid diffusibility after hyperactivation during in vitro capacitation. J. Cell Biol. 102:1372-1377
- Yanagimachi, R.,(1994). Mammalian fertilization. In: Knobil, E., Neill,J.D. (Eds.), The Physiology of Reproduction, Raven Press, New York. 2 :189-317.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.