Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Optimizing age at first use of semen for higher fertility in Sahiwal breeding bulls
First Online 28-09-2016|
The objective of the study was to optimise the age at first use (AAFU) of semen in Sahiwal breeding bulls which will help in early selection of bulls under progeny testing programme. The data on AAFU, conception rate based on first A.I. (CRFAI), overall conception rate (OCR) and birth weight (B.WT) of 43 Sahiwal bulls during 1987 to 2013 at NDRI centre pertaining to 8 sets of Sahiwal improvement programme at ICAR-NDRI, Karnal, India were adjusted for significant environmental influences and subsequently analyzed. Simple and multiple regression models were used for prediction of CRFAI and OCR of Sahiwal bulls. Comparative evaluation of three developed models (I to III) have showed that Model III, having AAFU and B.WT which fulfill the accuracy of model as revealed by high coefficient of determination, low mean sum of square to due error, low conceptual predictive value and low Bayesian information criterion . The results showed that average predicted CRFAI was highest (49.34%) at <5 years and lowest (44.79%) at > 6 years of age at first A.I. /use. Similarly average predicted OCR was highest (48.50%) at <5 years and lowest (44.56%) at >6 years of age at first A.I. / use of Sahiwal bulls. In organized herd under progeny testing programme, Sahiwal bulls should be used prior to 5 years which is expected to result in 4.45% better CRFAI and 3.94% better OCR in comparison to Sahiwal bulls used after 6 years of age.
- Akaike, H. (1974). A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE trans on automat control. 19: 716–723.
- Bishop, MWH. (1970). Aging and reproduction in the male. J Reprod Fertil Suppl. 12: 65–87.
- Bitew M. and Prasad S. (2011). Study on major reproductive health problems in indigenous and cross breed cows in and around Bedelle. South West Ethiopia J Ani Vet Adv. 10: 723-727.
- Chenoweth PJ and Lorton S. (2014). Animal Andrology: Theories and Applications. CAB International. pp. 380-381. (http://www.cabi.org).
- Dahiya SS and Singh P. (2013). Nutritional and other management practices for optimum semen production in buffalo bulls. Buffalo Bull. 32 : 277-284.
- Hamilton, T. (2009). Beef bulls fertility. Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food, Ontario.
- Harvey, WR. (1990). Guide for LSMLMW, PC-1 Version, mixed model least squares and maximum likelihood computer programme. Mimeograph Ohio State University, USA.
- Kramer, CY. (1957). Extension of multiple range tests to group correlated adjusted means. Biometrics. 13: 13-18.
- Kuhn MT and Hutchison JL. (2008). Prediction of dairy bull fertility from field data: use of multiple services and identification and utilization of factors affecting bull fertility. J Dairy Sci. 91:2481– 2492.
- Kuhn MT, Hutchison JL and Wiggans GR. (2006). Characterization of Holstein heifer fertility in the United States. J Dairy Sci. 89: 4907–4920.
- Mallows , CL. (1973). Some Comments on Cp. Technometrics.15: 661-675.
- Mandal DK and Tyagi S. (2004). Pre-copulatory behavior of Sahiwal bulls during semen collection and effects of age and season on their sexual performance. Indian J Dairy Sci. 57: 334-338.
- Salisbury GW, VanDemark NL and Lodge JR. (1978). Physiology of reproduction and artificial insemination of cattle. 2nd ed. W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco, CA.
- SAS Institute Inc. (2011). SAS.Version 9.4.Cary,(NC): SAS Institute Inc.
- Schwarz, GE. (1978). Estimating the dimension of a model. Ann Statist. 6: 461– 464
- Singh OP (1983). Climate of Karnal. Bulletin No. 8. Published by Central Soil Salinity Research institute (ICAR), Karnal, India.
- Tanabe TY and Salisbury GW. (1946). Influence of age on breeding efficiency. J Dairy Sci. 29:337–344.
- Thomas, HS. (2009). Managing bulls for optimum production. Hereford World , p.32.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.