Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Factors affecting weight and age at first calving, first lactation milk yield in Gir cows
First Online 27-01-2016|
The present study was undertaken on data of 113 Gir cows maintained at Kasturba Gram Dairy Farm, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India over a period of 18 years from 1995 to 2012, based on age at first calving. The overall means for weight at first calving (WFC), age at first calving (AFC), and first lactation milk yield (FLMY) were 402.22± 1.28 kg, 1709.04± 51.92 days and 1664.95± 280.72 litres respectively. The heritability estimates for WFC, AFC and FLMY were 0.248± 0.234, 0.307± 0.206 and 0.112± 0.252 respectively. The genetic correlation between WFC and AFC was positive and significant, while it was negative in between WFC and FLMY. The genetic correlation between AFC and FLMY was low and negative. The phenotypic correlations between all traits were positive.
- Albuquerque, L.G.R.B., Lobo, R.B., Duarte, F.A.M. (1990) Factors affecting cumulative monthly milk productions in Gyr cattle: repeatability and heritability, Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia, 42: 439-449.
- Ashraf, A., Islam, S.S., Islam, A.B.M.M. and Ali, S.Z. (2000) A study of economic traits of indigenous cattle and their crossbreeds in Southern Bangladesh, Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci.. 13: 1189-1192.
- Bhoite, U.Y. and Kale, K.M. (1996) Production performance of 3-breed Gir crosses, Indian Veterinary Journal, 73:473-474.
- Campos, F.A.A., Fontes, L.R. and Sampaio, I.B.M. (1981) Ages at first calving in a herd of Nellores at Uberaba Experimental Station, Memoria, Asociacion Latinoamericana de Produccion Animal 11: 58 (Animal Breeding Abstracts 51: 3553)
- Dangar, N.S. and Vataliya, P.H. (2014) Factors affecting age at first calving in Gir cattle, International Journal of Livestock Research. 4(2).
- Das, G.C., Das, D. and Aziz, A. (1990) Production and reproduction performance of Jersey cows in Assam. Livestock Advisor, 15: 3-7.
- Dass, G. and Sadana, D.K. (2000) Factors affecting some economic traits in Murrah buffaloes, Indian J. Anim. Res., 34: 43-45.
- Dubey, P.P. and Singh, V.V. (2005) Estimates of genetic and phenotypic parameter considering first lactation and lifetime performance trait in Sahiwal and crossbred cattle, Indian J. Anim. Sci. 75:1289-1294.
- Gaur G.K., Kaushik S.N. and. Garg R.C. (2003) The Gir Cattle Breed of India - Characteristics and Present Status. Animal Genetic Resources Information, Cambridge Journals Online, 33: 21-29.
- Hazel, L.N. and Terrill, C.E. (1945) Heritability of weaning weight and staple length in range rambouillet lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 4:347-358.
- Koots, K.R., Gibson, J.P., Smith, C. and Wilton, J.W. (1994) Analyses of published genetic parameter estimates for beef production traits. 1. Heritability. Anim. Breed. Abst., 62: 309-338.
- Kumar, A. (1987) Genetic studies on peak yield and first lactation milk yield and their association with economic traits in 1/2Sahiwal and 1/2 Jersey cows, M.Sc. (Ag.) Thesis. G.B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar
- Mohiuddin, G., Yaqoob, M., Nawaz, H. and Akhtar, P. (1994) Inheritance of breeding efficiency and its relationship with age at first calving and first lactation milk yield in Sahiwal cattle. Pakistan Vet. J. 14: 238-241.
- Mustafa, M.I., Latif, M., Bashir, M.K. and Ahmad, B. (2002) Productive performance of Red Sindhi cattle under hot and humid environment of Balochistan province of Pakistan. Pakistan Vet. J., 22: 151–7.
- Nema, R.K., Tiwari, D.P. and Singh, V.P. (1996) Comparative-studies on surface-area, skin thickness and body measurements of different genetic groups of crossbred cows, Indian Journal of Animal Sciences, 66: 301-303
- Pawar,V.D. and Narayankhedkar, S. G. (2001) Correlation of first lactation milk yield with part lactation performance in crossbred cows, Cherion 30: 33-34.
- Robertson, A. (1959) The sampling variance of the genetic correlation coefficients. Biometrics, 15: 469-85.
- Ruvuna, F., Mao, I.L., McDowell, R.E. and Gurnani, M. (1984) Environmental and genetic variation in milk yield of native cattle and crosses with Brown Swiss in India, J. Anim. Sci., 59: 74-85.
- SAS (1994) Statistical Analytical Systems, Users guide (Version 6), SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- Sachdeva, G.K. and Gurnani, N. (1989) Evaluation of’ Friesian crossbred cattle genetic groups on the basis of total score. Indian Journal of Animal Science, 59: 1446-47.
- Sankhe, R.D., Nehete, S.B., Narayankhedkar, S.G. and Umrikar, U.D. (1998) Important economic characters and their association in dairy cattle crossbreds. PKV Res. J. 22: 62-65.
- Searle, S.R. (1961) Phenotypic, genetic and environmental correlations, Biometrics, 17: 474-80.
- Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1967) Statistical Methods, The Iowa State University Press, Amcs, Iowa.
- Souza, E.M., Milagres, J.C., Silva, M.A., Regazzi, A.J. and Castro, A.G.C. (1995) Effects of genetic and environmental factors on age at first calving in dairy Gir herds, Rev. Soc. Bras. Zootec., 24: 926–935.
- Singh, A., Taylor, C.M. and Gurung, B.S. (1981) Studies on age at first calving in Gir cattle. Livestock Adviser 6: 29-31 (Animal Breeding Abstracts 50: 3755).
- Singh, R.P. and Raut, K.C. (1982) Studies on the lactation curve for cows under village conditions. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 52: 375-378.
- Singh, C.V. and Barwal, R.S. (2012) Animal brddeing and genetics- Use of different animal models in prediction of genetic parameters of first lactation and herd life traits of Murrah buffaloes, Indian Journal of Dairy Science, 65: 399.
- Swiger, L.A., Harvey, W.R., Everson, D.O. and Gregory, K.E. (1964) The variance of interclass correlation involving group with one observation. Biometrics, 20: 818-826.
- Ulmek, B.R. (1990) Genetic studies of production traits in Gir cattle, Ph.D. Thesis, Gujarat Agril. Univ., Sardar Krushinagar.
- Vij, P.K., Nivsarkar, A.E., Balain, D.S. and Raj, D. (1992) Factors affecting production performance of Tharparkar cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 62:772-774.
- Wakchaure, R.S. and Meena, R. (2010) Factors affecting birth weight, age and weight at first calving in Sahiwal cattle, Indian J. Anim. Res., 44: 173-177.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.