Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of age, sex and slaughter weight on productive performance, carcass characteristics and meat quality of crossbred (Hampshire x Assam local) pigs
First Online 20-08-2016|
The effect of age of slaughter and sex on productive performance, carcass and meat quality characteristics was studied in 4 different age groups viz., T1 (7–8 months), T2 (9–10 months), T3 (11-12 months) and T4 (13-14 months). Each group consisted of 15 barrows and 15 gilts. With the advancement of age, feed conversion efficiency decreased significantly; however, sex did not seem to influence the feed conversion efficiency of crossbred pigs. Hot carcass weight increased linearly with the advancement of age. Carcass length increased with age but was not influenced by sex. The dressing percentage, back fat thickness, loin eye area were not affected by age and sex of the animal. Proximate composition and colour of pork Longissimus dorsi was not affected by the age and sex of the animal. Pork tenderness decreased with age.
- AOAC (2000). Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 17th ed. Arlington, VA.
- Blanchard, P.J., Ellis, M., Warkup, C.C., Chadwick, J.P. and Willis, M.B. (1999). The influence of sex (boars and gilts) on growth, carcass and pork eating quality characteristics. Animal Science, 68: 487-493.
- Cisneros, F., Ellis, M., McKeith, F. K., McCaw, J. and Fernando, R. L. (1996). Influence of slaughter weight on growth and carcass characteristics, commercial cutting and curing yields, and meat quality of barrows and gilts from two genotypes. J. Anim. Sci, 74: 925–933.
- Ellis, M. and Avery, P. J. (1994). The influence of heavy slaughter weights on growth and carcass characteristics of pigs. British Society of Animal Production, 5: 569.
- Garcia-Macias, J. A., Gispert, M., Oliver, M. A., Diestre, A., Alonso, P., Munoz-Luna, A., Siggens, K. and Cuthbert- Heavens, D. (1996). The effects of cross, slaughter weight and halothane genotype on leanness and meat and fat quality in pigs carcasses. Anim. Sci. 63:487–496.
- Hamilton, D. N., Ellis, M., Miller, K. D., McKeith, F. K. and Parret, D. F. (2000). The effect of the Halothane and Rendement Napole genes on carcass and meat quality characteristics of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2862–2867.
- Langlois, A. and Minvielle, F. (1989). Comparisons of three-way and backcross swine: I. Growth performance and commercial assessment of the carcass. J. Anim. Sci., 67:2018-2024.
- Latorre, M. A., Lazaro, R., Valencia, D. G., Medel, P. and Mateos, G. G. (2004). The effects of gender and slaughter weight on the growth performance, carcass traits, and meat quality characteristics of heavy pigs J. Anim. Sci., 82: 526-533.
- Latorre, M. A., Medel, P., Fuentetaja, A., La´zaro, R. and Mateos, G. G. (2003). Effect of sex, terminal sire and age at slaughter on performance, carcass characteristics and meat quality of heavy pigs. Anim. Sci., 77:33-45.
- Leach, L. M., Ellis, M. D., Sutton, S., McKeith, F. K. and Wilson, E. R. (1996). The growth performance, carcass characteristics, and meat quality of Halothane carrier and negative pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 74:934–943.
- Mohrmann, M., Roehe, R., Susenbeth, A., Baulain, U., Knap, P.W., Looft, H., Plastow, G. S. and Kalm, E. (2006). Association between body composition of growing pigs determined by magnetic resonance imaging, deuterium dilution technique, and chemical analysis. Meat Sci.,72: 518–531.
- Peinado, J., Medel, P., Fuentetaja, A. and Mateos, G. G. (2008). Influence of sex and castration of females on growth performance and carcass and meat quality of heavy pigs destined for the dry-cured industry. J. Anim. Sci., 86:1410-1417.
- Richmond, R. J. and Berg, R. T. (1971). Tissue development in swine as influenced by live weight, breed, sex and ration.Can. J. Anim.Sci., 51:31-38.
- SAS/STAT (2002–2003) SAS Institute Inc., Version 9.3.1, Cary, NC., USA.
- Sastry, N. S. R. and Thomas, C. K. (2005). Livestock Production Management, 4th Rev. Edn., Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi. pp. 217.
- Weatherup R. N., Veattie, V. E., Moss, B. W., Kilpatrick, D. J., Walker, N. (1998). The effect of increasing slaughter weight on the production performance and meat quality of finishing pigs. Animal Science 67:591–600.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.