Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Computer assisted sperm analysis of fresh and frozen-thawed buffalo semen and their interrelationship
First Online |
Sixty semen ejaculates from 10 mature bulls, 5 each of Jafarabadi and Mehsana breed, were studied for sperm motility and velocity parameters of fresh and frozen-thawed spermatozoa using computer assisted sperm analyzer (CASA). The mean values of motile and progressively motile spermatozoa observed in fresh semen of Jafarabadi and Mehsana bulls (79.77±1.62 and 61.80±1.85, and 78.90±1.22 and 61.37±1.58%) were highly significantly (Pand medium motile sperm (%) increased, while beat-cross frequency (Hz), straightness (%), linearity (%), sperm area (µm2) and rapidly motile sperm (%) decreased significantly in post-thawed sperms when compared with the fresh sperm of both Jafarabadi and Mehsana bulls. The initial motility and live sperm per cent were significantly correlated with CASA traits of fresh and frozen-thawed semen, and all the sperm motility and velocity traits of fresh and frozen-thawed semen assessed by CASA were significantly interrelated among both the breeds. The interrelationships were stronger in Mehsana bulls as compared to Jafarabadi bulls.
- Christensen P., Boelling D., Pedersen K.M. Korsgaard I.R. and Jensen J. (2005). Relationship between sperm viability as determined by flow cytometry and non return rate of dairy bulls. J. Androl., 26: 98-106.
- David G., Serres C. and Jouannet P. (1981). Kinematics of human spermatozoa. Gamete Res., 4:83-95.
- Dhami A.J. and Sahni K.L. (1994). Comparative appraisal of physico-morphological and enzymatic attributes of semen and their interrelationships in ox and buffalo. J. Applied Anim. Res., 5: 13-20.
- Johnson J., Boone W. and Blackhurst D. (1996). Manual versus computer-automated semen analysis. Part I. Comparison of counting chambers. Fertil. Steril., 65: 150-155.
- Karthikeya G. (2003). Computer automated motility and morphometric analysis of bull and buck spermatozoa. MVSc Thesis, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, India.
- Knuth U.A., Neuwinger J. and Nieschlag E. (1989). Bias of routine semen analysis by uncontrolled changes is laboratory environment – detection by long term sampling of monthly means for quality control. Int. J. Androl., 12: 373-383.
- Mandal D.K., Nagpaul P.K. and Gupta A.K. (2003). Motion characteristics of Murrah buffalo bull spermatozoa in various seasons and its relationship with functional integrity of the plasmallema. Theriogenology, 60: 349-358.
- Mortimer D., Keel B.A. and Webster B.W. (1990). Objective analysis of sperm motility and kinematics. Eds. Handbook of the Laboratory Diagnosis and Treatment of Infertility. Boca Raton, Fla. CRC Press, pp. 97–133.
- Muino R., Pena A.I., Rodrigez A., Tamargo C. and Hidalgo C.O. (2009). Effects of cryopreservation on the motile sperm subpopulation in semen from Asturiana de los Valles bulls. Theriogenology, 72: 860-868.
- Patel J.B. and Dhami A.J. (2013). Computer assisted sperm analysis of fresh and frozen-thawed HF x Kankrej (F1) bulls’ semen and their interrelationship. Indian J. Anim. Res., 47(4): 315-320.
- Patel N.P., Patel S.H. and Devanand C.P. (2010). Comparative studies on the assessment of the bovine sperm motility by conventional method and CASA System (HTM IVOS). Proc. XXVI Annual Convention of ISSAR and International Symposium, GBPUA & T, Pantnagar. 10-12 Nov., p. 11.
- Ramachandran N., Verma G.S., Gupta A.K., Raina V.S., Mohanty T.K. and Singh M.K. (2006). In vitro assessment of seminal traits and fertility parameters in fresh semen of Sahiwal bulls. Indian J. Anim. Reprod., 27(2): 100-103.
- Ramachandran N., Verma G.S., Gupta A.K., Raina V.S., Mohanty T.K. and Singh M.K. (2007). Prediction of fertility based on frozen-thawed seminal traits in Sahiwal bulls. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 77: 884-887.
- Shelke V.B. and Dhami A.J. (2001). Comparative evaluation of physic-morphological attributes and freezability of semen of Gir cattle (Bos indicus) and Jafarabadi buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) bulls. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 71: 319-324.
- Snedecor G.W. and Cochran W.G. (1980). Statistical Methods. 14th edn. Oxford and IBH Publishing House, New Delhi, India.
- Vantman D., Koukoulis G., Dennison L., Zinaman M. and Sherins R.J. (1988). Computer-assisted semen analysis: evaluation of method and assessment of the influence of sperm concentration on linear velocity determination. Fertil. Steril., 49: 510-515.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.