Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Prediction of body weights of Nellore sheep under field condition
First Online |
Data on 1350 Nellore sheep of 2, 4, 6 and 8-teeth age, reared under field conditions in 12 mandals of Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh were utilized for development of prediction equations and study the phenotypic association among body measurements and body weights. The coefficients of correlation between body weight with the height at withers, chest girth, paunch girth, hip width and body length were positive and high in magnitude in both males and females in majority of the age groups studied. Step-down regression equations were fitted to predict the body weight based on biometrical measurements at different ages. The height at withers, chest girth, paunch girth, hip width and body length have contributed significantly to the expression of body weights at the majority of the ages studied. High coefficient of determination (R2) value was observed in males at 6 and 8-teeth age as 88 per cent, while in females 50 per cent at 2-teeth age.
- FAO. (2010). Bulletin of Statistics. FAO, Rome, Italy. www.faostat.org
- Gajbhiye, P. U and Johar, K. S.(1985). Predicting body weight on the basis of body measurements in Magra sheep. Indian J. of Anim. Sci. 55: 604-606.
- Gangaraju, K. (2010). Studies on characterization and performance of Vizianagaram sheep of North Coastal Andhra Pradesh. Ph.D Thesis submitted to Sri Venkateswara
- Kalra, S., Singh, B and Arora, D. N. (1986). Body conformation of Nali sheep – A note. Indian J. of Anim. Prodn. and Management 2: 163-164.
- Kandasamy, N and Gupta, D. C. (1983). Studies on physical measurements, live weight and fleece weight in native and crossbred sheep in semi-arid zone of India. Tropl Agrl (Trinand) 60: 92-94.
- Livestock Census (2007) Bulletin of Bureau of Economics and Statistics, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh., Hyderabad, India
- Mehta, S. C., Vij, P. K., Joshi and Nivsarkar, A. E.(1995). Characterization and conservation of Sonadi sheep. Indian J. of Anim. Sci. 65: 804-808.
- Narasimham, S. A. L., Rao, G. N., Gupta, B. R., Reddy, C. E and Satyanarayana, A. (2003). Body weights and biometrical measurements of Deccani sheep. Indian J. of Anim Sci. 73: 930-933.
- Prasad, R. D., Ramaiah, E. C., Rao, T. M., Charyulu, E. K and Munirathnam, D. (1983). Body conformation and carcass characteristics of native and crossbred lambs on high energy ration. Indian J. of Anim. Sci. 47: 529-533.
- Snedecor,G.W. and Cochran,W.G. (1996) Statistical Methods. 8th Edition Iowa State University Press, Iowa, USA.
- Sreenivasu, B., Narasimha Rao, G., Ramesh Gupta, B and Satyanarayana, A. (2003). A study on body weights and biometrical measurements of Deccani sheep under field conditions. Indian J. of Anim. Research 37 : 133-135.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.