Antimicrobial activity of bacteriocin isolated and purified from rumen liquor collected from slaughtered goats
Citation :- Antimicrobial activity of bacteriocin isolated and purified from rumen liquor collected from slaughtered goats .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2015.(49):802-807
Bacteriocin like substance with antimicrobial activity was purified from freshly collected rumen liquor using 60% ammonium sulphate precipitation followed by ion exchange(SP-Sepharose) and gel filtration (Sephadex G25) chromatographic techniques. Purity of the product was checked on SDS-PAGE, having molecular weight of 6.5 kDa. Anti-microbial activity was demonstrated using Bacillus subtilis by gel overlay method and agar cut well diffusion method. Proteomic analysis confirmed the substance as bacteriocin. The purified sample was resistant to the action of protease. The substance was active at pH 4, 7 and 10. It was also active at autoclave temperature. The peptide purified was found to inhibit the growth of Staphylococcus aureus (MTCC87), Listeria monocytogenes (MTCC 657) and Pseudomonas aeurginosa (MTCC 424).
- Basic Animal Husbandry Statistics (2012), Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India, New Delhi.
- Berlina Dhas, S. and Vimalin Hena J. (2012). Molecular profiling and antimicrobial activity of bacteriocins from Bacillus subtilis. Interntional Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology 3: 170-175.
- Cleveland, J. Montville, T. J. Nes I. F. and Chikindas M. L. (2001).Bacteriocins are safe and natural antimicrobials for food preservation. International Journal of Food Microbiology 71:1-20.
- El-Shouny, W., Abo-Kamar, A. and Suzan, Ragy (2013). Characterization of the partially purified Planaricin SR18 produced by Lactobacillus plantarum SR18. Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences 2:2301-2305.
- Fath M.J. and Kolter R. (1993). ABC transporters; bacterial exporters. Microbiology Review 57(4): 995-1017.
- Fatima D. and Mebrouk K. (2013). Characterization and determination of the factors affecting anti-listerial bacteriocins from Lactobacillus plantarum and Pediococcus penosaceus isolated from dairy milk products. African Journal of Food Science 7(2): 35-44.
- Georgia Z., Eudoxie P., William P., Marina G., Petros A. Maragkoudakis P.A., Tarantilis M. P., Effie T and Konstantinos P (2013). Incidence of Bacteriocins Produced by Food-Related Lactic Acid Bacteria Active towards Oral Pathogens. International journal of Molecular Science 14:4640-4654.
- Junqin C., Dravid M.S. and Paul J.W. (2004). Albusin B, a Bacteriocin from the Ruminal Bacterium Ruminococcus albus 7 that inhibits the Growth of Ruminoccocus flavifaciens. Applied Environmental Microbiology 70: 3167-70.
- Laemmli U.K. (1970). Clevage of structural proteins during assembly of the head of the bacteriophage T. Nature 227: 680-85.
- Mantovani H.C., Hu H., Worobo R.W. and Russel J.B. (2002). Bovicin HC5, a bacteriocin from Streptococcus bovis HC5. Microbiology 148: 3347-52.
- Odenyo A.A., Mackie R.I., Stahl D.A. and White B.A. (1994). The use of 16SrRNA- Targeted Oligonucleotide Probes to study competition between Ruminal Fibrolytic Bacteria: Development of probes for Ruminococcus species and Evidence for Bacteriocin Production. Applied Environmental Microbiology 69:3688-96.
- Ravi Sankar N., Deepthi Priyanka V., Srinivas Reddy P., Rajanikanth P., Kiran Kumar V. and Indira M. (2012), Purification and Charecterization of Bacteriocin produced by lactobacillus plantarum Isolated from cow milk. International Journal of Microbiological Research 3(2):133-137.
- Rodriquez J.M., Martinez M.I., Horn N. and Dodd H.M. (2003). Heterologous production of bacteriocins by lactic acid bacteria. International Journal of Food Microbiology 80:101-16.
- Rychlik J.L. and Russell J.B. (2002). Bacteriocin like activity of Butyrivibrio fibrosolvens JL5 and its effect on other Ruminal Bacteria and Ammonia production. Applied Environmental Microbiology 68:1040-46.
- Saeed S., Rasool S.A., Ahmad S., Zaidi S.Z. and Rehmani S. (2007). Antiviral Activity of Staphylococcin188: A purified Bacteriocin like Inhibitory Substance Isolated from Staphylococcus aureus AB188. Research Journal of Microbiology 2:796-806.
- Schevchenko A., Wilm M., Vorm O. and Mann M. (1996). Mass spectrometric sequence of proteins silver stained polyacrylamide gels. Analytical chemistry 68: 850-58.
- Todorov S.D. and Dicks L.M.T. (2007). Bactericin production by Lactobacillus pentosus ST712BZ isolated from Boza, Brazilian Journal of Microbiology 38:166-72.
- Tolinacki M., Kojic M., Lozo J. Terzic-vidojevi A., Topisirovic L. and Fira D. (2010), Characterization of the bacteriocin- producing strain lactobacillus paracaseisubsp. Paracasei BGUB9. Archives of biological science 62: 889-899
- Whitford M.F., McPherson M.A., Forster R.J. and Teather R.M. (2001). Identification of Bacteriocin like Inhibitors from Rumen Streptococcus species and Isolation and Characterization of Bovicin 255. Applied Environmental Microbiology 67: 569-74.
- Xiao H., Chen X., Chen M., Tang S., Zhao X. and Huan L. (2004). Bovicin HJ50, a novel lantibiotic produced by Streptococcus bovis HJ 50. Microbiology 150: 103-08.