Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Kit Ligand Expression in granulosa cells during follicular culture and associated maturation rate of oocytes in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)
First Online |
The objectives of the study to associate the expression of Kit Ligand gene under different gonadotropins and growth factors supplementation with the maturation rate of oocytes in buffalo ovarian follicular cells during whole follicular culture at subsequent intervals of 24 hours. Intact ovarian follicles were dissected out of buffalo ovaries and cultured in Tissue Culture Media-199 supplemented with gonadotropins and growth factors for 24 hours. A semi-quantitative RT-PCR amplification was obtained in granulose cells of buffalo ovarian follicles and its expression was found to be restricted during initial stage of follicle culture. KL expression persistency in granulosa cells beyond 4 hours during follicular culture was found to be negatively correlated with maturation rate of oocytes. It was concluded that expression of Kit Ligand gene in granulose cells could be predictive role for assessing oocytes maturation rate and possibly the oocytes competence in buffalo.
- Allegrucci, C., Hunter M.G., Webb R. and Luck M.R. (2003). Interaction of bovine granulosa and theca cells in a novel serum-free co-culture system. Reproduction, 126:527-538.
- Aswal, A.P.S., Datta T.K., Raghav S., De S., Yadav P. and Goswami S.L. (2006). Development of a competitive quantitative PCR strategy for evaluating the expression stability of 18s rRNA during in vitro maturation of buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) follicular oocytes. Doi:10.1111/j. 2007, 1439-0531.2006.00752.x
- Datta, T.K. and Goswami S.L. (1998). Feasibility of harvesting oocytes from buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) ovaries by different methods. Buffalo J. 14:77-284.
- Farin, C.E., Rodriguez K.F., Alexander J.E., Hockney J.E., Herrick J.R. and Kennedy-Stoskopf S. (2007). The role of transcription in EGF- and FSH-mediated oocyte maturation in vitro. Anim Reprod Sci. 98:97-112.
- Hutt, K.J., McLaughlin E.A. and Holland M.K. (2006). Kit ligand and c-kit have diverse roles during mammalian oogenesis and folliculogenesis. Mol Human Reprod. 12:61-69.
- Ismail, R.S., Okawara Y., Fryer J.N. and Vanderhyden B.C. (1996). Hormonal regulation of the ligand for c-kit in the rat ovary and its effects on spontaneous oocyte meiotic maturation. Mol Reprod Dev. 43:458–469.
- Joyce, I.M., Pendola F.L., Wigglesworth K. and Eppig J. J. (1999). Oocyte regulation of Kit Ligand expression in mouse ovarian follicles. Dev Biol. 214:342–353.
- Liu, L., Rajareddy S., Reddy P., Jagarlamudi K, Du C., Shen Y., Guo Y., Boman K., Lundin E., Ottander U., Selstam G. and Liu K. (2007). Phosphorylation and inactivation of glycogen synthase kinase-3 by soluble kit ligand in mouse oocytes during early follicular development. J Mol Endocrinol. 38:137-146.
- Manova, K., Huang, E. J., Angeles, M., De Leon, V., Sanchez, S., Pronovost, S. M., Besmer, P. and Bachvarova, R. F., (1993). The expression pattern of the c-Kit Ligand in gonads of mice supports a role for the c-kit receptor in oocyte growth and in proliferation of spermatogonia. Dev Biol. 157:85-99.
- Parrott, J.A. and Skinner M.K. (2000). Kit Ligand actions on ovarian stromal cells: effects on theca cell recruitment and steroid production. Mol Reprod Dev. 55:55-64.
- Presicce, G.A. (2007). Reproduction in the Water Buffalo. Rep Dom Anim. 42:24 -32.
- Ramesh, H.S., Gupta P.S.P., Nandi S., Manjunath B.M., Kumar V.G. and Ravindra J. P. (2007). Co-culture of Buffalo Large Preantral Follicles with Ovarian Somatic Cells. Advances in Biological Research. 1:29-33.
- Thomas, F.H., Ethier J.F., Shimasaki S. and Vanderhyden B. C. (2005). Follicle stimulating hormone regulates oocyte growth by modulation of expression of oocyte and granulosa cell factors. Endocrinology 146:941-949.
- Totey, S.M, Singh G., Taneja M., Pawshe C.H. and Talwar G.P. (1992). In vitro maturation, fertilization and development of follicular oocytes from buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) J. Reprod. Fert., 95:597-607.
- Tisdall, D.J., Quirke L.D., Smith P. and McNatty K.P. (1997). Expression of the ovine stem cell factor gene during folliculogenesis in late fetal and adult ovaries. J Mol Endocrinol. 18:127-135.
- Toki, T., Kanezaki R., Adachi S., Fujino H., Xu G., Sato T., Suzuki K., Tauchi H., Endo M. and Ito E. (2009). The key role of stem cell factor/KIT signaling in the proliferation of blast cells from Down syndrome-related leukemia. Leukemia. 23:95–103.
- Ye, Y., Kawamura, K., Sasaki, M., Kawamura, N., Groenen, P., Gelpke, M. D., Rauch, R., Hsueh, A. J., Tanaka, T., 2009. Kit ligand promotes first polar body extrusion of mouse preovulatory oocytes. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 7:26.
- Yoshimura, Y., Ando M., Nagamastu S., Iwashita M., Adachi T., Sueoka K., Miyazaki T., Kuji N and Tanaka M. (1996). Effects of insulin like growth factor on follicle growth, oocyte maturation and ovarian steroidogenesis and plasminogen activator activity in the rabbit. Boil. Reprod. 55:152-160.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.