Effect of addition of trehalose on the liquid storage (5oC) of mithun (Bos frontalis) semen
Citation :- Effect of addition of trehalose on the liquid storage(5oC) of mithun (Bos frontalis) semen .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2015.(49):837-846
The present study was undertaken to assess the effect of trehalose on sperm parameters, enzymatic profiles and biochemical profiles of seminal plasma of mithun. The semen ejaculates were collected from mithun and was split into four groups as group 1: semen without additives (control), group 2 to 4: semen with 50 mM, 75 mM and 100 mM of trehalose, respectively in EYTC extender. These parameters were assessed at 5oC for 0, 6, 12, 24 and 30 h of incubation. Inclusion of trehalose resulted in significant (p < 0.05) decrease in percentages of dead spermatozoa, abnormal spermatozoa and acrosomal abnormalities as compared with control group. Additionally, trehalose at 50 mM has significant improvement in quality of mithun semen in in- vitro storage. It was due to the protective effects of trehalose on sperm parameters as sperm membrane stabilizer and prevents efflux of cholesterol, lipid peroxide formation and biochemical enzymes from sperm cell during preservation.
- Abdelhakeam, A.A., Graham, E.F., Vazquez, I.A. and Chaloner, K.M. (1991). Studies on the absence of glycerol in unfrozen and frozen ram semen: Development of an extender for freezing- effect of osmotic pressure, egg yolk levels, type of sugars, and method of dilution. Cryobiology. 28: 43-49.
- Aboagla, E.M. and Terada, T. (2003). Trehalose-enhanced fluidity of the goat sperm membrane and its protection during freezing. Biol. Reprod. 69 (4): 1245–1250.
- Aisen, E.G., Medina, V.H. and Venturino, A. (2002). Cryopreservation and post-thawed fertility of ram semen frozen in different trehalose concentrations. Theriogenology. 57: 1801-1808.
- Aitken, R.J. and Baker, M.A. (2004). Oxygen stress and male reproductive biology. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 16: 581–588.
- Alvarez, J.G. and Storey, B.T. (1992). Evidence for increased lipid peroxidative damage and loss of superoxide dismutase activity as a model of sub lethal cryo damage to human sperm during cryopreservation. Journal of Andrology. 13: 232-241.
- Brooks, D.E. (1990). Biochemistry of the male accessory glands. In: Lamming, GE (Ed.), Marshall’s physiology of reproduction. (4th Edn.), Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, 569-690.
- Bucak, M.N., Atessahin, A., Varis, L.O., Yuce, A., Tekin, N. and Akçay, A. (2007). The influence of trehalose, taurine, cysteamine and hyaluronan on ram semen: microscopic and oxidative stress parameters after the freeze-thawing process. Theriogenology. 67: 1060–1067.
- Buckland, R.B. (1971). The activity of six enzymes of chicken seminal plasma and sperm. 1. Effect of in vitro storage and full sib families on enzyme activity and fertility. Poult. Sci. 50: 1724-1734.
- Buege, J.A. and Aust, S.D. (1978). Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods in Enzymology. 52: 302-310.
- Chhillar, S., Singh, V. K., Kumar, R. and Atreja, S. K. (2012). Effects of Taurine or Trehalose supplementation on functional competence of cryopreserved Karan Fries semen. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 135: 1– 7.
- Ciereszko, A., Glogowski, J., Strzezek, J. and Demianowicz, W. (1992). Low stability of aspartate aminotransferase activity in boars semen. Theriogenology. 37: 1269-1281.
- Corteel, J.M. (1980). Effets du plasma séminal sur la survie et la fertilité des spermatozoids conservés in vitro. Reprod. Nutr. Dévelop. 20: 1111-1123.
- Dogan, I., Polat, U. and Nur, Z. (2009). Correlations between seminal plasma enzyme activities and semen parameters in seminal fluid of Arabian horses. Iranian J. Vet. Research. 10: 119-124.
- Griveau, J. F., Dumont, E., Renard, P., Callegari, J. P. and Le Lannou, D. (1995). Reactive oxygen species, lipid peroxidation and enzymatic defence systems in human spermatozoa. J. Reprod. Fertil. 103: 17–26.
- Gundogan, M. (2006). Some reproductive parameters and seminal plasma constituents in relation to season in Akkaraman and Awassi Rams. Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 30: 95-100.
- Hu, J.H., Li, Q.W., Jiang, Z.L., Yang, H., Zhang, S.S. and Zhao, H.W. (2009). The cryoprotective effect of trehalose supplementation on boar spermatozoa quality. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 44: 571–575.
- Hu, J.H., Zan, L.S., Zhao, X.L., Li, Q.W., Jiang, Z.L. and Kun, Y. (2010). Effects of trehalose supplementation on semen quality and oxidative stress parameters in frozen–thawed bovine semen. J. Anim. Sci. 85(5): 1657-1662.
- Jayaganthan, P., Perumal, P., Balamurugan, T.C., Verma, R.P., Singh, L.P., Pattanaik, A.K. and Kataria, M. (2013). Effects of Tinospora cordifolia supplementation on semen quality and hormonal profile of ram. Animal Reproduction Science. 140 (1): 47-53.
- Kumar, R. and Atreja, S.K. (2011). Effect of incorporation of additives in tris-based egg yolk extender on buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) sperm tyrosine phosphorylation during cryopreservation. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 47(3): 485-490.
- Liu, Z., Foote, R.H. and Brockett, C.C. (1998). Survival of bull sperm frozen at different rates in media varying in osmolarity. Cryobiology. 37: 219-230.
- López, M.L., Grez, P., Gribbel, I. and Bustos Obregón, E. (1989). Cytochemical and ultrastructural characteristics of the stallion epididymis (Equus cabalus). J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol. 21: 103-120.
- McCarthy, M.J., Baumber, J., Kass, P.H. and Meyers, S.A. (2010). Osmotic stress induces oxidative cell damage to rhesus macaque spermatozoa. Biol. Reprod. 82 (3): 644–651.
- Molinia, F.C., Evans, G., Casares, P.I. and Maxwell, W.M.C. (1994). Effect of monosaccharide and disaccharides in Tris based diluents on motility, acrosome integrity and fertility of pellet frozen ram spermatozoa. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 36: 113-122.
- cryosurvival. Cryobiology. 51: 241-249.
- Perumal, P., Selvaraju, S., Barik, A.K., Mohanty, D.N., Das, S. and Mishra, P.C. (2011b). Role of reduced glutathione in improving post-thawed frozen seminal characters of poor freezable Jersey crossbred bull semen. Indian Journal of Animal Science. 81(8): 807-810.
- Perumal, P., Selvaraju, S., Selvakumar, S., Barik, A.K., Mohanty, D.N., Das, S., Das, R.K. and Mishra, P.C. (2011a). Effect of pre-freeze addition of cysteine hydrochloride and reduced glutathione in semen of crossbred Jersey bulls on sperm parameters and conception rates. Reproduction in Domestic Animals. 46(4): 636-641.
- Perumal, P., Vupru, K. and Rajkhowa, C. (2013). Effect of addition of taurine on the liquid storage (5oc) of mithun (Bos frontalis) semen. Veterinary Medicine International. 2013: 7 Pages, Article ID 165348.
- Pesch, S., Bergmann, M. and Bostedt, H. (2006). Determination of some enzymes and macro and microelements in stallion seminal plasma and their correlations to semen quality. Theriogenology. 66: 307-313.
- Reddy, N.S.S., Gali, J.M. and Atreja, S.K. (2010). Effects of adding taurine and trehalose to a tris-based egg yolk extender on buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) sperm quality following cryopreservation. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 119 (3–4): 183–190.
- Srivastava, N., Srivastava, S.K., Ghosh, S.K., Amit Kumar, Perumal, P. and Jerome, A. (2013). Acrosome membrane integrity and cryocapacitation are related to cholesterol content of bull spermatozoa. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction. 2(2): 126-131.
- Suleiman, S.A., Ali, M.E., Zaki, M.S., Malik, E.M.E.A. and Nast, M.A. (1996). Lipid peroxidation and human sperm motility: protective role of vitamin E. Journal of Andrology. 17(5): 530-537.
- Turner, R.M. and McDonnell, S.M. (2003). Alkaline phosphatase in stallion semen: characterization and clinical applications. Theriogenology. 60: 1-10.
- Urata, K., Narahara, H., Tanaka, Y., Gashiru, T., Takayama, E. and Miyakaw, I. (2001). Effect of endotoxin-induced reactive oxygen species on sperm motility. Fertility and Sterility. 76: 163-166.
- Witte, T. S. and Schäfer-Somi, S. (2007). Involvement of cholesterol, calcium and progesterone in the induction of capacitation and acrosome reaction of mammalian spermatozoa. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 102: 181-193.