Effects of non-genetic factors on lactation milk yield and peak yield of swamp buffalo and their repeatability
Citation :- Effects of non-genetic factors on lactation milk yield and peak yield of swamp buffalo and their repeatability.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2015.(49):418-419
A study was made to find out the effect of various non-genetic factors on lactation milk yield and peak yield based on 500 lactation records of 164 swamp buffaloes maintained at Livestock Research Station, Assam Agricultural University. The overall mean of lactation milk yield and peak yield were found 514.16 ± 7.67 kg and 3.20 ± 0.05, kg respectively. Effect of lactation order and period of calving on both the trait were found to be significant (P 0.01). Lactation milk yield increased gradually from first to fourth lactation and then declined. Effect of season of calving was not found significant. The repeatability estimates for lactation milk yield and peak yield were 0.799 ± 0.003 and 0.448 ± 0.006, respectively.
Lactation milk yield
- Das, D. (1988). Performance of swamp buffaloes under agro climatic condition of Assam. In proceedings, II World Buffalo Congress, New Delhi, Dec. 12-16, Vol. II, pp. 34.
- Falconer, D. S. (1994). Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. 3rd edn., Oliver and Boyd, England
- Gogoi, P. K. (1994). Evaluation of genetic potential of swamp and reverine buffaloes in Assam with respect to certain productive and reproductive traits. Ph.D. thesis submitted to Assam Agricultural University, Guwahati, Assam
- Harvey, V. R. (1975). Least squares analysis of data with unequal sub-class numbers. A. R. S., USDA, Beltsville, Maryland, 20:8.
- Kramer, C. Y. (1957). Extension of multiple range tests to group correlated adjusted means. Biometrics. 13: 13 – 17.
- Rohilla, P. P.; Chaudhary, S. R. and Sharma, R. (1992). Influence of various environmental factors on growth, reproduction and production of Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Prod. Mgmt., 8 : 235 – 239.
- Syed, L. D.; Zafarullah, K.; Shah, M. and Khan, Z. (1996). Production performance, persistency of lactation and repeatability of some quantitative traits in Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Sarhad J. Agriculture 12 (1): 1 – 9.
- Swiger, L. D.; Harvey, W. R.; Everson, V. O. and Gregory, K. E. (1964). The variance of intraclass correlation involving groups with one observation. Biometrics, 20 : 818 – 826.
- Vij, P. K. and Tiwana, M. S. (1989). Repeatability estimates of some production and reproduction traits of buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 59 : 1006 –1007.
- Zaman, G. Goswami, R. N. and Aziz, A. (2003). Production performances of swamp buffaloes of Assam. Indian Vet. J.
- 80 : 1070 – 1071.