Performance of crossbred calves (Jersey x Assam local) at different levels of protein in calf starter
Citation :- Performance of crossbred calves (Jersey x Assam local) at different levels of protein in calf starter.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2015.(49):378-382
The study was carried out to evaluate the growth performance of twelve new born crossbred calves (Jersey X Assam local) of either sex reared under three different calf starters containing three different DCP levels of 20 (group I), 22 (group II) and 24 (group III) per cent with 75-76 per cent TDN. The calves of group I showed significantly (Pce was also observed in blood constituents like glucose, serum and calcium among the three treatments. The cost of feed per kg weight gain was Rs. 100.02, 102.01 and 110.82 in groups I, II and III respectively. It can be inferred that calf starter with 20 per cent DCP and 75-76 TDN gave optimum growth performance compared to those with 22 and 24 per cent DCP.
Digestible crude protein
Total digestible nutrients.
- AOAC (1990). Official Methods of Analysis. 11th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemist. Washington, D. C.
- Blome, R.M., Drackley, J. K., McKeith, F. K., Hutjens, M. F. and McCoy, G. C. (2003). Growth nutrients utilization and body composition of dairy calves fed milk replacers containing different amounts of protein, J. Anim. Sci., 81: 1641-1655.
- Chandler, P.T., McCarthy, R. D. and Kesler, E. M. (1968). Effect of dietary lipids and glucose in the blood of dairy calves. J. Nutr., 95: 461-468.
- Das, D. R., Krishna Moha, D. V. G. and Ranjhan, S. K. (1985). Performance of young crossbred calves fed different levels of milk and different types of calf starters. II. Nutrient utilisation in calves at 3 months of age. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 38; 276.
- Dharamsare, K.S., Gampara, A. S. and Gorantiwar V. M. (1991). Effect of supplementation of subabul (Laucaena leucocephala) seeds on growth rate of heifers. Indian J. Anim. Nutr., 8(1): 61-64.
- Gaikward, N.Z., Despande, S. D., Bapat, S. T. and Parwe, G. B. (1992). Blood glucose and serum protein levels in Jersey X Red Kandhari cattle with reference to age. Indian Vet. J., 69: 1091-1094
- Gupta, M. K., Srivastava, B. B., Pathak, N. N. and Pandey, H. N. (1992). Effect of replacement of fish meal in the calf starter by ground nut cake and mustard cake on the performance of cross bred calves. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 62: 1002.
- Haldar, A., Bhattacharya, B. and Duttagupta, R.(1995). Effect of genetic factor and physiological status on some biochemical profiles in the blood of dairy cattle under farm management system. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 65: 1365-136
- Hill, T.M., Aldrich, J. M., Proeschel, A. J. and Schotterbeck, R. L. (2001). Protein levels for neonatal calf starters. J. of Dairy Sci., 84 (Suppl. I): 265.
- ICAR (1991). Feeding Dairy Cattle Economically. I.C.A.R. Publication, Karnal (Haryana).
- Jezek, Jozica, Klopcic, Marija and Klinkon (2006). Influence of age on biochemical parameters in calves. Bull. Vet.Inst. Pulawy., 50: 211-214.
- Krishna Mohan, D.V. G., Das, D. R. and Ranjhan, S. K. (1987). Performance of young crossbred calves fed different levels of milk and different levels of milk and different types of calf starters, (III). Growth, feed efficiency and cost of feeding calves from birth to three months of age. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 40: 18-22.
- Maglad, M., El- Badawi, B., Wasfi, I. A. and Adam, S. E. I. (1987). The growth performance of crossbed dairy calves fed starters with increasing crude protein levels. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 40: 32-35.
- Mishra, A.K., Mehra, U. R. and Das, R. S. (1994). Growth performance, feed efficiency and economics of rearing preruminant calves on two different planes of nutrition. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 47(12): 1067-1069.
- N.R.C. (2001). Nutrient requirement of dairy cattle, 7th rev. edn. National Academy Press, Washington, D. C.
- Pachauri, V.C. and Negi, S. S. (1976). Growth rate of Jersey crossbred calves on milk and partial milk replacement feeding schedules. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 46: 383-388
- Patel, A.N., Dave, A. D., Patel, K. S. and Patel, J. P. (1985). Comparative study on growth rate of Kankrej x Jersey (F1) and Kankrej x Holstein – Fresian (F2) calves. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 55:122-124.
- Pathak, N. N., Barua, K. K. and Ranjhan, S. K. (1982). Nutrient utilization and carcass characteristics of male buffalo calves on different planes of nutrition. Proc. 2nd Anim. Sci. Congress. Asian Australian Association of Anim. Prod. Society, Manila, Philippine, Nov.:10-13.
- Phukan, M., Barua, A., Sarma, B. C., Barua, K. K. and Kalita, D. J. (2006). Serum macro and micro mineral levels in crossbred (Jersey x Assam local) calves during pre-weaning and post weaning periods. Indian Vet. J., 77: 583-585.
- Saikia, T.H., Patel, J. P., Pamerkar, S., Patel, K. S. and Dave, A. D. (1988). Feed efficiency and economics of raising early weaned Kankrej x Holstein – Fresian calves. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 41: 162-166.
- Shaffer, L., Roussel, J. D. and Koonce, K. L. (1981). Effect of age, temperature, season and breed on blood characteristics of dairy cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 64: 62-70.
- Shrikhande, G.B. and Sarode, D.B. (1999). Haemato biochemical levels in cows of different age groups. Indian Vet. J., 76: 26-28.
- Singh, M., Yadava, I. S. and Rao, A. R. (1973). Stomach development in buffalo calves as influenced by different feeds. J. Agric. Sci., 83: 55-60.
- Sirohi, S.K. and Rai, S.N. (1977). Relationship between body measurement and body weight in growing buffalo calves on feeding urea plus lime treated straw based diets. Indian J. Anim. Prod. and Mgmt., 13 (1): 34-38.
- Snedocor, G. W. and Cochran, W.G. (1982). Statistical Methods. 6th edn. Iowa State University Press, USA.