Influence of some environmental factors on body condition score and somatic cell count in Czech Holstein cows
Citation :- Influence of some environmental factors on body condition score and somatic cell count in Czech Holstein cows .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2015.(49):774-777
The objective of this study was to determine some environmental factors affecting body condition score (BCS) and somatic cell count (SCC) in Czech Holstein cows. A total of 278 primiparous cows were examined by BCS and SCC in four calving seasons, three years and six test days after calving. The results revealed no significant effect of calving season was found for both parameters. While year was not effective on SCC values, BCS mean of third year was significantly (P<0.05) high. Also, no significant effect of test day was determined on SCC, but BCS values elevated with later test days (P<0.05). Negative and significant relationships (P<0.01) were estimated among all consecutive change in BCS (CBCS) and positive associations (P<0.01) were determined among all logSCC groups. As the result, primiparous Czech Holstein cows should be managed by eliminating effective factors to obtain more productivity in dairy farms.
Body condition score
Somatic cell count.
- Atasever S. and Erdem H. (2009). Association between subclinical mastitis markers and body condition scores of Holstein cows in the Black Sea region, Turkey. J.Anim.Vet. Adv., 8: 476-480.
- Barkema H.W., Schukken Y.H., Lam T.J., Beiboer M.L., Benedictus G. and Brand A. (1998). Management practices associated with low, medium, and high somatic cell counts in bulk milk. J. Dairy Sci., 81: 1917-27.
- Berry D.P., Buckley F. and Dillon P. (2011). Relationship between live weight and body condition score in Irish Holstein-Friesian dairy cows. Irish J. Agric. Food Res., 50:141–147.
- DeVliegher S., Barkema H.W., Stryhn H., Opsomer G. and DeKruif S. (2004). Impact of early lactation somatic cell count in heifers on somatic cell counts over the first lactation. J. Dairy Sci., 87: 3672–3682.
- Duchacek J., Stadnik L., Beran J. and Okrouhla M. (2013). Comparison of different sorting of fatty acids in bovine milk in relation to body condition of Czech Fleckvieh dairy cows. J. Central Europ. Agric., 14: 137-148.
- Erdem H., Atasever S.and Kul E. (2007). Some environmental factors affecting somatic cell count of Holstein cows. J. Appl. Anim. Res., 32: 173-176.
- Erdem H., Atasever S. and Kul E. (2010). A study on somatic cell count of Jersey cows. Asian J. Vet.Adv., 5: 253-259.
- Green, M.J., A.J. Bradley, G.F. Medley, W.J. Browne (2008). Cow, farm, and herd management factors in the dry period associated with raised somatic cell counts in early lactation. J. Dairy Sci., 91: 1403–1415.
- Koenen E.P.C., Veerkamp R.F., Dobbelaar P. and DeJong G. (2001). Genetic analysis of body condition score of lactating Dutch Holstein and Red-and-white heifers. J. Dairy Sci., 84: 1265-1270.
- Leth S., Krook M. and Hornsten E.G. (2004). Feasibility study of the use of a SIRE biosensor in the monitoring of H2O2 added to milk samples: A possible new technology for early detection of mastitis. Innov. Food Sci. Emerg. Tech., 5: 515-522.
- Montiel F. and Ahuja C. (2005). Body condition and suckling as factors influencing the duration of postpartum anestrus in cattle: A review. Anim. Reprod. Sci., 85: 1–26
- Rupp R., Beaudeau F. and Boichard D. (2000). Relationship between milk somatic cell counts in the ûrst lactation and clinical mastitis occurrence in the second lactation of French Holstein cows. Prev. Vet. Med., 46: 99–111.
- Sant’anna A.C. and Paranhos da Costa M.J. (2011). The relationship between dairy cow hygiene and somatic cell count in milk. J. Dairy Sci., 94:3835-44.
- Senosy W. and Osawa T. (2013). Association among calving season and measures of energy status, resumption of ovulation and subclinical endometritis in early lactating dairy cows. Anim. Reprod., 10: 24-31.
- Suriyasathaporn W., Schukken Y.H., Nielen M. and Brand A. (2000). Low somatic cell count: A risk factor for subsequent clinical mastitis in a dairy herd. J. Dairy Sci., 83:1248–1255.
- Wildman E.E., Jones G.M., Wagner P.E., Boman R.L., Troutt Jr.H.F. and Lesch T.N. (1982). A dairy cow body condition scoring system and its relationship to selected production characteristics. J. Dairy Sci., 65: 495-501.