EFFICACY OF DIFFERENT EXTENDERS IN PRESERVATION OF LIQUID HAMPSHIRE BOAR SEMEN AT 15°C
Citation :- EFFICACY OF DIFFERENT EXTENDERS IN PRESERVATION OF LIQUID HAMPSHIRE BOAR SEMEN AT 15°C.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2014.(48):496-500
The present study was designed to compare the efficacy of different liquid semen extenders for preservation of boar semen at 15°C. Twenty ejaculates, four from each of five Hampshire boars were used to study the efficacy of BTS, GEPS, FEY and LSEEY extenders for preservation of boar semen at 15°C up to 72 h. The mean sperm motility, live sperm and live spermatozoa with intact acrosome were found to be significantly (P
Live spermatozoa with intact acrosome
- Blom, E. (1950). A simple rapid staining method for the differentiation between live and dead sperm cells by means of Eosin and Nigrosin. Nordisk Veterinaer Medicin, 2: 58.
- Dimitrov, S.; Atanasov, V.; Dichlyanova, E. and Petroval, R. (2009). Comparison of three commercial diluents for short- term storage of boar semen. Trakia Journal of Sciences, 7(1): 58-62.
- Faulkner, L.C. (1971). Male Reproduction. In “Veterinary Endocrinology and Reproduction” (McDonald, L.E. editor), 257 pp, Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia.
- Frydrychova, S.; Cerovsky, J.; Lustykova, A. and Rozkot, M. (2010). Effects of long-term liquid commercial semen extender and storage time on the membrane quality of boar semen. Czech Journal of Animal Science. 55 (4):160-166.
- Jones, R. and Mann, T. (1977). Damage to ram spermatozoa by peroxidation of endogenous phospholipids. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility. 50: 261.
- Kommisrud, E.; Paulenz, H.; Sehested, E. and Grevle, I.S. (2002). Influence of boar and semen parameters on motility and acrosome integrity in liquid boar semen stored for five days. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica 43 (1): 49-55.
- Kumaresan, A.; Kadirvel, G.; Bujarbaruah, K.M.; Bardoloi, R.K.; Das, A.; Kumar, S. and Naskar, S. (2009). Preservation of boar semen at 18p C induces lipid peroxidation and apoptosis like changes in spermatozoa. Animal Reproduction Sciences. 110 (1/2): 162-171.
- Moretti, J. (1981). Artificial insemination of swine: fertility using several liquid semen diluents. 8th International Pig Veterinary Society Congress, Ghent, Belgium, 293 pp.
- Plisko, N.T. (1965). Method of prolonging the viability and fertilizing capacity of boar spermatozoa. Svinovodstvo. 9:37-41.
- Pursel, V.G. (1979). Effect of cold shock on boar sperm treated with Butylated Hydroxytoluene. Biology of Reproduction. 21:319-324.
- Pursel, V.G.; Johnson, L.A. and Schulman, L.L. (1973). Effect of holding time on storage of boar spermatozoa at 5°C. Journal of Animal Science. 37 (3): 785-789.
- Pursel, V.G. and Johnson, L.A. (1975). Freezing of boar spermatozoa: fertilizing capacity with concentrated semen and a new thawing procedure. Journal of Animal Science. 40:99-102.
- Tamuli, M.K. (1982). Studies on semen characteristics and artificial insemination in pigs. MVSc Thesis, Assam Agricultural University.
- Tamuli, M.K. and Das, A. (2009). Preservation of boar semen for artificial insemination. Winter School on “Livelihood security through sustainable pig production”, 25 November to 15 December, National Research Centre on Pig, ICAR, Rani, Guwahati, 12-15 pp.
- Tamuli, M.K. and Rajkonwar, C.K. (1987). Innovation of boar semen dilutors. Indian Veterinary Journal. 64: 782-784.
- Tamuli, M.K.; Rajkonwar, C.K. and Goswami, B.K. (1986). Preservation of boar semen. Indian Journal of Animal Reproduction. 7 (2): 70-72.
- Tamuli, M.K. and Watson, P.F. (1994). Cold resistance of live boar spermatozoa during incubation after ejaculation. Veterinary Records. 135:160-162.
- Tyngkan, L. (2009). Effect of holding, removal of seminal plasma and extender on preservation of boar semen at 18ºC. MVSc Thesis, Assam Agricultural University.
- Weitze, K.F. (1990). Long- term storage of extended boar semen. Reproduction in Domestic Animals 1(Suppl.): 231-253.