Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
EFFECT OF VITAMIN E AND ZINC ON CELLULAR ANTIOXIDANT ENZYMES IN KARAN FRIES COWS DURING TRANSITION PERIOD
First Online |
- Aggarwal, A., Ashutosh, Chandra, G. and Singh, A.K. (2012). Heat shock protein 70, oxidative stress, and antioxidant status in periparturient crossbred cows supplemented with á-tocopherol acetate. Trop Anim Health Prod., doi. 10.1007/s11250-012-0196-z.
- Arechiga, C.F., Flores, S.V., Ortiz, O., Ceron, J.H., Porras, A., McDowell., L.R. and Hansen, P.J. (1998). Effect of injection of â-carotene or Vitamin E and Selenium on fertility of lactating dairy cows. Theriogenology., 50: 65- 76.
- Bannister, J.V., Parker, M.W., Blake, C.C., Barra, D., Bossa, F., Schinina. M.E. and Bannister, W.H. (1987). Structural identity between the iron- and manganese-containing superoxide dismutases. Protein Eng., 1: 393-397.
- Bernabucci, U., Ronchi, B., Lacetera, N. and Nardone A. (2005). Influence of body condition score on relationships between metabolic status and oxidative stress in periparturient dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci., 88: 2017–2026.
- Brezezinska, S.E., Miller, J.K., Quigley, J.D., Moor, J.R. and Madsen, F.C. (1994). Antioxidant status of dairy cow supplemented prepartum with vitamin E and selenium. J. Dairy Sci., 77: 3087-3095.
- Castillo, C., Hernandez, J., Bravo, A., Lopez-Alonso, M., Pereira, V. and Benedito, J. L. (2005). Oxidative status during late pregnancy and early lactation in dairy cows. Vet. J., 169: 286–292.
- Chandra, G. and Aggarwal, A. (2009). Effect of DL-á-Tocopherol acetate on calving induced oxidative stress in periparturient crossbred cows during summer and winter seasons. Indian J. Anim. Nutr., 26(3): 204-210.
- Chandra, G. and Aggarwal, A. (2010). Changes in TNF-á levels, metabolic status, milk yield and composition in á- tocopherol acetate supplemented high body condition periparturient crossbred cows during different seasons. International conference on physiological capacity building in livestock under changing climate scenario. Vol. II pp. 85. (Abstract)
- Chawla, R. and Kaur, H., (2000). A new HPLC technique developed for simultaneous estimation of â-carotene, á- tocopherol and retinol in blood plasma and feed sample. NDRI News, 4(4): 2.
- Clemens, M. C. and H. D. Waller. (1987). Lipid peroxidation in erythrocytes. Chem. Phys. Lipids., 45: 251–268.
- Daniel, L.R., Chew, B.P., Tanaka, T.S. and Tjoelker, L.W. (1991). In vitro effect of beta-carotene and vitamin A on peripartum bovine peripheral blood mononuclear cell proliferation. J. Dairy Sci., 74: 911-915.
- Dicks, M.W., Rosseau, J. E., Eaton, H.D., Teichman, R., Grifo, A.P. and Kemmerer, H.A. (1959). Some interrelationship between vitamin E and vitamin A in Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci., 42: 501-506.
- Dimri, U., Ranjan, R., Sharma, M.C. and Varshney, V.P., (2010). Effect of vitamin E and selenium supplementation on oxidative stress indices and cortisol level in blood in water buffaloes during pregnancy and early postpartum period. Tropical Animal Health and Production., 42: 405-410.
- Drackley, J. K. (1999). Biology of dairy cows during the transition period. J. Dairy Sci., 82: 2259–2273.
- Fee, J., Bergamini, R. and Briggs, R. (1975). Observation on the mechanism of the oxygen dialuric acid induced hemolysis of vitamin E-deficient rat blood cells and the protective roles of catalase and superoxide dismutase. Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 169: 160–167.
- Frei, B. (1994). Natural Antioxidants in Human Health and Disease. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- Gitto, E., Reiter, R.J., Karbownik, M., Tan, D., Gitto, P., Barberi, S. and Barberi I. (2002). Causes of oxidative stress in the pre- and perinatal period. Biol Neonate., 81: 146-157.
- Goff, J.P. and Stabel, J.R. (1990). Decrease plasma retinol, á-tocopherol and zinc concentration during periparturient period, effect of milk fever. J. Dairy Sci., 73: 3195-3199.
- Grummer, R.R. (1995). Impact in changes in organic nutrient metabolism on feeding the transition cow. J. Anim. Sci., 73: 2820-2833.
- Halliwell, B. and Gutteridege, J.M.C., (2007). Free radicals in biology and medicine, 4th Ed. Oxford University Press, Grune Strottan, New York.
- Halliwell, B., and Chirico, S. (1993). Lipid peroxidation: Its mechanism, measurement, and significance. Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 57: 715–725.
- Hebbel, R. P., and Easton, J. W. (1989). Pathobiology of heme interaction with erythrocyte membrane. Semin. Hematol., 26: 136–149.
- Hogan, J.S., Weiss, W.P. and Smith, K.L. (1993). Role of vitamin E and selenium in host defence against mastitis. J. Dairy Sci., 76: 2795-2803.
- Kanna, R. (2007). Effect of body condition score on metabolic and oxidative status in periparturient cows. MVSc. Thesis, NDRI Deemed University, Karnal India.
- Kehrer, J.P. and Smith, C.V. (1994). Free radicals in biology: Sources, reactivities and roles in the etiology of human disease. In: Natural Antioxidants in Health and Disease, ed. B. Frei, Academic Press, London: 25-62.
- Meglia G.E., Johannisson, A., Petersson, L. and Waller, P. (2001). Changes in some blood micronutrients, leukocytes and neutrophil expression of adhesion molecules in periparturient dairy cows. Acta Vet. Scand., 42: 139-150.
- Michiels, C., Raes, M., Toussaint, O. and Remacle. J. (1994). Importance of Se-glutathione peroxidase, catalase, and Cu/Zn-SOD for cell survival against oxidative stress. Free Radic. Biol. Med., 17: 235–248.
- Miller, J. K., Brzezinska-Slebodzinska, E. and Madsen. F. C. (1993). Oxidative stress, antioxidants, and animal function. J. Dairy Sci., 76: 2812–2823.
- Muehlenbein, E. L., Brink, D. R., Deutscher, G. H., Carlson, M. P. and Johnson. A. B. (2001). Effects of inorganic and organic copper supplemented to first-calf cows on cow reproduction and calf health and performance. J. Anim. Sci., 79: 1650–1659.
- NRC. (2001). Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th Rev. Ed. Washington, D.C., National Academy Press.
- Oshino, N. and Chance, B. (1977). Properties of glutathione release observed reduction of organic hydroperoxide, demethylation of aminopyrine and oxidation of some substances in perfused rat liver and their implications for the physiological function of catalase. Biochem. J., 16: 509-529.
- Ronchi, B.U., Bernabucci, N., Lacetera, and Nardone, A. (2000). Oxidative and metabolic status of high yielding dairy cows in different nutritional conditions during the transition period. Page 125 in Proc. 51st Annu. Mtg. E.A.A.P., Vienna.
- Sharma, N., Singh, N.K., Singh, O.P., Panday, V. and Verma, P.K. (2011). Oxidative stress and antioxidant status during transition period in dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci., 24 (4): 479-484.
- Singh, R., Setia, M.S. and Singh, S.P.S. (1992).Hematological variations during different stages of pregnancy in buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis) – Alongitudenal study. Int. J. Anim. Sci., 7: 27-29.
- Singh, R., Sigha, S.P.S., Singh, P. V. and Setia, M.S. (1991). Distribution of trace elements in blood, plasma erythrocytes during different stages of gestation in buffalo (bubalus bubalis). Buffalo J., 7: 77-85.
- Snedecor, G.N. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical methods, 6th Ed. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. New Delhi.
- Toyokuni, S. (1999). Reactive oxygen species-induced molecular damage and its application in pathology. Pathol. Int., 49: 91–102.
- Trevisan, M., Browne, R., Ram, M., Muti, P., Freudenheim, J.A., Carosella, M. and Armstrong, D. (2001). Correlates of markers of oxidative status in the general population. Am. J. Epidemiol., 154: 348–356.
- Tüzün, A., Erdil, A., Inal, V., Aydm, A., Baci, S., Yeilova, Z., Sayal, A., Karaeren, N. and Daalp, K. (2002). Oxidative stress and antioxidant capacity in patient with inflammatory bowel disease. Clin. Biochem., 35: 569–572.
- Weiss, W. P., Todhunter, D. A., Hogan, J. S. and Smith, K. L. (1990b). Effect of duration of supplementation of selenium and vitamin E on periparturient dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci., 73: 3187–3194.
- Weiss, W.P. (2006). Antioxidant nutrients, cow health and milk quality. www.mlk production.com.
- Weiss, W.P., Hogan, J.S., Todhunter, D.A. and Smith, K.L. (1997). Effect of vitamin E supplementation in diets with a low concentration of selenium on mammary gland health of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci., 80: 1728-1737.
- Zhang, P. and Omaye, S.T. (2001). â-Carotene: Interactions with á- tocopherol and ascorbic acid in microsomal lipid peroxidation. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry., 12: 38-45.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.