THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN EGGSHELL COLOUR AND EGG QUALITY TRAITS IN TABLE EGGS
Citation :- THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN EGGSHELL COLOUR AND EGG QUALITY TRAITS IN TABLE EGGS.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2014.(48):290-294
Variations in egg quality and yolk colour in relation to eggshell colour in commercial brown layer eggs were studied using 734 eggs. The traits of interest were eggshell colour, yolk colour, egg weight, Haugh unit value and shell strength. The results showed that egg weight and shell strength increased as the darkness of the shell increased, whereas the Haugh score decreased. A highly significant positive correlation was found between yolk a* (redness) and yolk colour (DSM) (0.655) (p
- Akbas, Y., Altan O., and Kocak C. (1996). Effects of hen’s age on external and internal egg quality characteristics. Tr. J. Vet. Anim. Sci., 20: 455-460 (in Turkish, with English Abstract)
- Arthur, J.A. and O’sullivan N. (2005). Breeding chickens to meet egg quality needs. Int. Hatch. Practice: 19, 7-9.
- Aygun, A. and Yetisir R. (2010). The relationships among egg quality characteristic of different hybrid layers to forced molting programs with and without feed withdrawal. J. Anim. Vet. Adv., 9: 710-715.
- Aygun, A. (2013). Effects of force molting on eggshell colour, eggproduction and quality traits in laying hens. Rev. Med. Vet-Toulouse, 164: 46-51.
- Campo, J.L. and Escudero J. (1984). Relationship between egg shell colour and two measurements of shell strength in the Vasca breed. Brit. Poult. Sci., 25: 467-476.
- De Ketelaere, B., Govaerts T., Coucke P., Dewil E., Visscher J., Decuypere E. and De Baerdemaeker J. (2002). Measuring the eggshell strength of 6 different genetic strains of laying hens: Techniques and comparisons. Brit. Poult. Sci., 43: 238-244.
- Durmus, I. (2006). Determination of production traits, egg quality and hatchability results in native white egg layer pure lines and their hybrids. PhD Thesis, Ankara University, Turkey (in Turkish, with English Abstract)
- Francis, F.J. (1998). Colour analysis. In: Food Analysis (edited by S. S. Nielsen). Aspen Publishers, Gaithersburg, Maryland. Pp. 601-611.
- Frank, F.R., Swanson M.H. and Burger E.R. (1964). The relationships between selected physical characteristics and the resistance to shell failure of Gallus Domesticus eggs. Poult. Sci., 43: 1228-1235.
- Godfrey, G.F. (1949). Shell color as a measure of egg shell quality. Poult. Sci., 28: 150-151.
- Godfrey, G.F. and Jaap R.G. (1949). The relationship of specific gravity, 14-day incubation weight loss and egg shell color to hatchability and egg shell quality. Poult. Sci., 28: 874-889.
- Grower, R.M., Anderson D.L. and Damon R.A. (1980). The correlation between egg shell color and specific gravity as a measure of shell strength. Poult. Sci., 59: 1335-1336.
- Haugh, R.R. (1937). The Haugh unit for measuring egg quality. US Egg Poult. Magazine, 43: 522-555, 572-573.
- Hooge, M.D. (2007). Bacillus subtilus spores improve brown egg colour. World’s Poult. Sci. J., 3: 14-15.
- Ingram, D.R., Hatten L.F. and Homan K.D. (2008). A study on the relationship between eggshell color and eggshell quality in commercial broiler breeders. Int. J. Poult. Sci., 7: 700-703.
- Joseph, N.S., Robinson N.A., Renema R.A. and Robinson F.E. (1999). Shell quality and color variation in broiler breeder eggs. J. Appl. Poult. Res., 8: 70-74.
- Kennedy, G.Y. and Vevers H.G. (1976). A survey of avian eggshell pigments. Comp. Biochem. Phys., 55: 117-123.
- Keshavarz, K. and Quimby F.W. (2002). An investigation of different molting techniques with an emphasis on animal welfare. J. Appl. Poult. Res., 11: 54-67.
- Kul, S. and Seker I. (2004). Phenotypic correlations between some external and ýnternal egg quality traits in the Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Int. J. Poult. Sci., 3: 400-405.
- Odabasi, A.Z., Miles R.D., Balaban M.O. and Portier K.M. (2007). Changes in brown eggshell color as the hen ages. Poult. Sci., 86: 356-363.
- Olawumi, S.O. and Ogunlade J.T. (2008). Phenotypic correlations between some external and internal egg quality traits in the exotic Isa Brown layer breeders. Asian J. Poult. Sci., 2: 30-35.
- Payne, R.W., Murray D.A., Harding S.A., Baird D.B. and Soutar D.M. (2003). GenStat for Windows (7th Edition) introduction. VSN International, Hemel Hempstead, England
- Romanoff, A.L. and Romanoff, A.J. (1949). Structure and physicochemical properties. In: The avian egg (edited by A. L. Romanoff and A. J. Romanoff). Pp. 113-174. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Schwartz, S., Raux W.A., Schacter B.A., Stephenson B.D. and Shoffner R.N. (1980). Loss of hereditary uterine protoporphyria through chromosomal rearrangement in mutant Rhode Island Red hens. Int. J. Biochem., 12: 935-940.
- Sekeroglu, A. and Altuntas, E. (2009). Effects of egg weight on egg quality characteristics. J. Sci. Food and Agr., 89: 379-383.
- Shafey, T.M., Al-Mohsen T.H., Al-Sobayel A.A., Alhassan M.J. and Ghannam M.M. (2001). Effects of eggshell pigmentation and egg size on the spectral properties and characteristics of eggshell of meat and layer breeder eggs. Asian Austral. J. Anim., 2: 297-302.
- Wang, X.T., Zhao, C.Z., LI, J.Y., XU, G.Y., LIAN, L.S., WU, C.X. & Deng, X.M. (2009). Comparison of the total amount of eggshell pigments in Dongxiang brown-shelled eggs and Dongxiang blue-shelled eggs. Poult. Sci., 88: 1735-1739.
- Wells, R.G. (1968). A study of the hen’s egg. In: British Egg Marketing Board Symposium (edited by T.C. Carter). Edinburg, UK. Pp. 207-249.
- Yang, H.M., Wang Z.Y. and LU L. (2009). Study on the relationship between eggshell colors and egg quality as well as shell ultrastructure in Yangzhou chicken. Afr. J. Biotechno., 8: 2898-2902.
- Zita L., E. Tumova and L. Stolc. (2009). Effects of genotype, age and their interaction on egg quality in brown-egg laying hens. Acta Vet. Brno, 78: 85-91.