Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effects of Beta-carotene Administration on Fertility in Lactating Dairy Cows
First Online 08-02-2021|
Methods: Cows with at 47±3 postpartum days were divided into two groups: β-carotene group (βC, n=139) was treated with injectable β-carotene while untreated cows served as control (CON, n=227). In both groups, PGF was administered and heatmount detectors were applied at 54±3 days postpartum. Cows detected in estrus after PGF were inseminated. Cows that had not been detected in estrus were divided into two groups 7 days after PGF administration; βC-OVS (n=137) and CON-OVS (n=89). Ovsynch protocol was initiated 4 days after β-carotene administration.
Result: The estrus detection rate was similar between the βC and CON groups (P = 0.19). Pregnancy per AI (P/AI) on d 31 was also similar between groups (P = 0.93). In the Ovsynch protocol, ovulation to the first GnRH and ovulatory follicle diameter at the time of insemination did not differ between groups. No difference was observed in P/AI at d 31 (P = 0.13). The results of this study indicated that β-carotene administration had no effect on fertility either PGF induced estrus or Ovsynch protocol in dairy cows.
- Akordor, F.Y., Stone, J.B., Walton, J.S., Leslie, K.E., Buchan-Smith, J.G. (1986). Reproductive performance of lactating Holstein cows fed supplemental β-carotene. Journal of Dairy Science. 69: 2173-2178.
- Aréchiga, C.F., Staples, C.R., McDowell, L.R., Hansen, P.J. (1998). Effects of timed insemination and supplemental β-carotene on reproduction and milk yield of dairy cows under heat stress. Journal of Dairy Science. 81(2): 390-402.
- Ashes, J.R., Burley, R.W., Sidhu, G.S., Sleigh, R.W. (1984). Effect of particle size and lipid composition of bovine blood high density lipoprotein on its function as a carrier of beta-carotene. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 797: 171-177.
- Ay, S.S., Kaya, D., Kucukaslan, I., Agaoglu, A.R., Emre, B., Handler, J., Fýndýk, M., Aslan, S. (2012). Beneficial effects of Beta-carotene injections prior to treatment with PGF2α on the fertility of postpartum dairy cows. Revue de Médecine Vétérinaire. 163(8-9): 387-392.
- Bindas, E.M., Gwazdauskas, F.C., Aiello, R.J., Herbein, J.H., McGilliard, M.L., Polan, C.E. (1984). Reproductive and metabolic characteristics of dairy cattle supplemented with β-carotene. Journal of Dairy Science. 67(6): 1249-1255.
- Celik, H.A., Avcı, G., Aydın, İ., Bülbül, A., Bülbül, T. (2009). Effect of β-carotene on ovarium functions and ovsynch success in repeat breeder cows. Kafkas Üniversitesi Veteriner Fakültesi Dergisi. 15(1): 87-94.
- De Bie, J., Langbeen, A., Verlaet, A.A.J., Florizoone, F., Immig, I., Hermans, N., Fransen, E., Bols, P.E.J., Leroy, J.L.M.R. (2016). The effect of a negative energy balance status on β-carotene availability in serum and follicular fluid of nonlactating dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 99: 5808-5819.
- De Gouvêa, V.N., Colli, M.H.A., Gonçales, J.W.A., Motta, J.C.L., Acedo, T.S., de Vasconcellos, G.S.F.M., Tamassia, L.F.M., Ellif, F.M., Mingoti, R.D., Baruselli, P.S. (2018). The combination of β-carotene and vitamins improve the pregnancy rate at first fixed-time artificial insemination in grazing beef cows. Livestock Science. 217: 30-36.
- Emre, B., Küçükaslan, İ., Ağaoğlu, A.R., Ay, S.S., Kaya, D., Somali, M., Aslan, S. (2018). The effects of separate and combined use of PGF2α and GnRH hormones and the addition of Beta-carotene on fertility parameters in dairy cows with ovarian cysts. Acta Scientiae Veterinariae. 46: 1589.
- Ferguson, J.D., Galligan, D.T., Thomsen, N. (1994). Principal descriptors of body condition score in Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 77(9): 2695-2703.
- Graves-Hoagland, R.L., Hoagland, T.A., Woody, C.O. (1989). Relationship of plasma β-carotene and vitamin A to luteal function in postpartum cattle. Journal of Dairy Science. 72(7): 1854-1858.
- Green, A.S. and Fascetti, A.J. (2016). Meeting the vitamin A requirement: The efficacy and importance of β-Carotene in animal species. The Scientific World Journal. 1-22.
- Hye, N., Klein-Jöbstl, D., Blessing, A. Burmeister, J., Hamann, N., Aurich, C., Drillich, M. (2020). Effect of two postpartum intramuscular treatments with β-carotene (Carofertin®) on the blood concentration of β-carotene and on the reproductive performance parameters of dairy cows. Theriogenology. 148: 1-7.
- Jukola, E., Hakkarainen, J., Saloniemi, H., Sankari, S. (1996). Blood selenium, vitamin E, vitamin A and β-carotene concentrations and udder health, fertility treatments and fertility. Journal of Dairy Science. 79(5): 838-845.
- Kacar, C., Kamıloglu, N.N., Ucar, O., Ari, U.C., Pancarcı, S.M., Gungor, O. (2008). İneklerde β-karoten + E vitamini uygulamasýyla kombine edilen Ovsynch ve cosynch senkronizasyon programlarnn gebelik oran üzerine etkisi. Kafkas Üniversitesi Veteriner Fakültesi Dergisi. 14(1): 45-50.
- Kaewlamun, W., Okuyi, M., Humblot, P., Techakumphu, M., Ponter, A.A. (2011). Does supplementing dairy cows with β-carotene during the dry period affect postpartum ovarian activity, progesterone and cervical and uterine involution? Theriogenology. 75(6): 1029-1038.
- Madureira, A.M.L., Pohler, K.G., Guida, T.G., Wagner, S.E., Cerri, R.L.A., Vasconcelos, J.L.M. (2020). Association of concentrations of beta-carotene in plasma on pregnancy per artificial insemination and pregnancy loss in lactating Holstein cows. Theriogenology. 142: 216-221.
- Martins, J.P.N. and Pursley, J.R. (2016). Fertility programs for lactating dairy cows, their physiological basis and the factors that are critical for their success. Animal Reproduction. 13(3): 283-289.
- National Research Council. (2001). Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle 7th revised edition The National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- Oliveira, R.C., Guerreiro, B.M., Morais, J.N.N., Araujo, R.L., Pereira, R.A., Pereira, M.N. (2015). Supplementation of prepartum dairy cows with β-carotene. Journal of Dairy Science. 98(9): 6304-6314.
- Pursley, J.R., Wiltbank, M.C., Stevenson, J.S., Ottobre, J.S., Garverick, H.A. anderson, L.L. (1997). Pregnancy rates per artificial insemination for cows and heifers inseminated at a synchronized ovulation or synchronized ovulation or synchronized estrus. Journal of Dairy Science. 80(2): 295-300.
- Roelofs, J.B. and van Erp-van der Kooij, E. (2015). Estrus detection tools and their applicability in cattle: recent and perspectival situation. Animal Reproduction. 12(3): 498-504.
- Sales, J.N.S., Dias, L.M.K., Viveiros, A.T.M., Pereira, MN., Souza, J.C. (2008). Embryo production and quality of Holstein heifers and cows supplemented with β-carotene and tocopherol. Animal Reproduction Science. 106(1-2): 77-89.
- Unalan, A. (2016). Seasonal effects on behavioral estrus signs and estrus detection efficiency in Holstein heifers. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 50: 185-189.
- Weiss, W.P. (1998). Requirements of fat-soluble vitamins for dairy cows: A review. Journal of Dairy Science. 81: 2493-2501.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.