Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Determination of Blood Serum Protein Fractions of Calves with Clinically Diagnosed Pneumonia
First Online 12-01-2021|
Methods: The 34 calves with respiratory system problems and 10 healthy calves without clinical pneumonia symptoms were used as materials. The obtained serum samples were used for total protein and serum protein electrophoresis.
Result: Albumin, α1-globulin percentages and A/G ratio decreased in the patient group (p≤0.01), other globulin fractions were higher in the patient group (p≤0.01), for % g values. According to concentration results, it was found that while albumin did not show a significant difference, α1-globulin (p≤0.05) and A / G ratio (p≤0.01) decreased in the patient group. In addition, other globulin fractions and total protein levels were higher in patient groups (p≤0.01). As a result, the serum protein fractions should be evaluated as a useful biochemical blood parameter for diagnosis and follow up of lung diseases especially in calves.
- Alacam, E., Sahal, M. (1997). Sığır Hastalıkları (Bovine Diseases). Alaçam, E. and Şahal, M. (eds), Medisan Press, Ankara, Turkey.
- Alberghina, D., Giannetto, C., Vazzana, I., Ferrantelli, V., Piccione, G. (2011). Reference intervals for total protein concentration, serum protein fractions, and albumin/globulin ratios in clinically healthy dairy cows. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 23: 111-114.
- Angen, O., Thomsen, J., Larsen, LE, Larsen, J., Kokotovic, B., Heegaard, P.M. (2009). Respiratory disease in calves: Microbiological investigations on trans-tracheally aspirated bronchoalveolar fluid and acute phase protein response. Veterinary Microbiology. 137: 165-171.
- Apaydin, B., Dede, S. (2010). Electrophoretic profile of serum protein fractions from sheep naturally infected with Babesia ovis. Revue de Médicine Véterinaire. 161: 57-60.
- Batra, M., Bhatia, K.C., Kumar, J., Pruthi, A.K. (2003). Cunicohematological studies on experimental pneumonia due to Mycoplasma mycoidesssp mycoides (LC) and pasteurella hemolytica infection in lambs. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 37: 8-13.
- Closs, G.Jr, Dechow, C. (2017). The effect of calf-hood pneumonia on heifer survival and subsequent performance. Livestock Sciences. 205: 5-9.
- Corbeil, L.B., Watt, B., Corbeil, R.R., Betzen, T.G., Brownson, R.K. Morrill, J.L. (1984). Immunoglobulin concentrations in serum and nasal secretions of calves at the onset of pneumonia. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 45: 773-778.
- Dede, S., Altug, N., Deger, Y., Ozdal, N., Ceylan, E. (2014). Serum biochemical profile and protein fractions in cattle with Theileriosis. Revue de Médicine Véterinaire. 165: 137-143.
- Fagliari, J.J., Weiss, D.J. Mc Clenanhan, D., Evanso, O.A. (2003). Serum protein concentrations in calves with experimentally induced pneumonic pasteurellosis. Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia. 55: 383-387.
- Furman-Fratczak, K., Rzasa, A., Stefaniak, T. (2011). The influence of colostral immunoglobulin concentration in heifer calves’ serum on their health and growth. Journal of Dairy Sciences. 94: 5536-5543.
- Gar-Elnabi, A.M., Alhidary, I.A., Bakhiet, A.O., Abdoun, K.A. (2020). Comparative study on serum protein concentration and electrophoretic pattern in clinically healthy gazelles. Indian Journal of Animal Research. DOI: 10.18805/ijar.B-905.
- Karagul, H., Altintas, A., Fidanci, U.R., Sel, T. (2000). Klinik Biyokimya (Clinical Biochemsitry), Medisan Press, Ankara, Turkey.
- Katoh, N., Nakagawai, H. (1999). Detection of haptoglobin in the high-density lipoprotein and the very high-density lipoprotein fractions from sera of calves with experimental pneumonia and cows with naturally occurring fatty liver. Journal of Veterinary Medical Sciences. 61: 119-124.
- Kumar, P., Sheikh, A.A., Parkunan, T., Dar, M.R., Priyadarshini, L., Preedaa, M.G., Baghel, G., Singh, S.V. (2015). Acute phase proteins: How they portray Mastitis - A review. Agricultural Reviews. 36: 327-332.
- Piccione, G., Casella, S., Giannetto, C., Panzera, M., Pennisi, P., Alberghina, D. (2014). Influence of short-term storage on electrophoretic profile of bovine serum proteins. Journal of Applied Animal Research. 42: 123-125.
- Snowder, G.D., van Vleck, L.D., Cundiff, L.V., Bennett, G.L. (2006). Bovine respiratory disease in feedlot cattle: Environmental, genetic and economic factors. Journal of Animal Sciences. 84: 1999-2008.
- Tóthová, C., Nagy, O., Kováè, G. (2013b). The serum protein electrophoretic pattern and acute phase proteins concentrations in calves with chronic respiratory diseases. Acta Veterinary (Beograd). 63: 473-486.
- Tóthová, C., Nagy, O., Seidel, H., Kováè, G. (2010). The effect of storage on the protein electrophoretic pattern in bovine serum. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology. 2: 77-84.
- Tóthová, C., Nagy, O., Seidel, H., Kováè, G. (2013a). Serum protein electrophoretic pattern in clinically healthy calves and cows determined by agarose gel electrophoresis. Comparative Clinical Pathology. 22: 15-20.
- Turgut, K. (2000). Veteriner Klinik Laboratuvar Teşhis. (Veterinary Clinical Laboratory Diagnosis) 2rd, Bahçývanlar Press, Konya, Turkey.
- Werner, L.L., Reavill, D.R. (1999). The diagnostic utility of serum protein electrophoresis. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice. 2: 651-662.
- Yamamoto, M., Katoh, N., Adachi, Y. (1998). The presence of two low molecular mass proteins immunologically related to 14 kilodalton serum amyloid A in the lipoprotein fraction and their decreased serum concentrations in calves with experimentally induced pneumonia. Journal of Veterinary Medical Science. 60: 181-187.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.