Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Effect of PMEL17 Plumage Colour Gene Diversity on Production Performance of Indigenous Chicken Variety of Bangladesh
First Online 19-12-2020|
Methods: The plumage colours, comb and body shape of chickens corresponds with the live weight and egg production (clutch size) and the egg characteristics were recorded. Gel electrophoresis and polymerase chain reactions (PCR) were performed from blood cell DNA following standard protocols. The PCR products were sequenced using Sanger sequencing and for molecular analysis MEGA6 software were used.
Result: Highest live weight (1400±25.4 g) and egg production (15.3±0.9 /number /clutch) was obtained in spotted-single-round chicken than other varieties. Both external and internal egg characteristics differed between varieties and spotted- single-round variety found to be best than other varieties. The sequence of PMEL17 gene was 99% homology with the sequence of Gallus gallus and Gallus gallus domesticus. A mutation was observed at 91bp nucleotide in brownish and at 64bp positional nucleotide and in black-white chicken variety.
- Carter, T.C. (1975). The hen’s egg: Estimation of shell superficial area and egg volume, using measurements of fresh egg weight and shell length and breadth alone or in combination. Brazilian Journal of Poultry Science. 16: 541-543. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071667508416224.
- Daikwo, I.S., Okpe, A.A. and Ocheja, J.O. (2011). Phenotypic characterization of local chicken in Dekina. International Journal of Poultry Science. 10: 444-447. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2011.444.447.
- Faruque, S., Afroz and M.A. and Islam, M.S. (2010). Evaluation of Response to Selection in Chicken. International Journal of Biological Research. 1(4): 01-05.
- Grobbelaar, J.A.N. Sutherland, B. and Molalakgotla, N.M. (2010). Egg production potentials of certain indigenous chicken breeds from South Africa. Animal Genetics Resources. 46: 25-32.
- Haugh, R.R. (1937). Egg quality. The U.S. Egg and poultry magazine, September, 1937, PP: 552-555.
- Islam, M.A. and Nishibori, M. (2012). Phylogenetic analysis of native chicken from Bangladesh and Neighboring Asian countries based on complete sequence of mitochondrial DNA D-loop region. Journal of Poultry Science. 49: 237-244. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.0120007.
- Iqeobi, C.O.N., Woolliams, J.A., Morrice, D.R. and Law, A.S. (2004). Quantitative trait loci for meat yield and muscle distribution in a broiler layer cross. Livestock Production Science. 87: 143-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2003.09.020.
- Keeling, L., Andersson, L., Schütz, K.E., Kerje, S., Fredriksson, R., Carlborg, O., Cornwallis, C.K., Pizzari, T. and Jensen, P. (2004). Feather-pecking and victim pigmentation: A genetic factor that encourages this form of farmyard bullying has been identified. Nature. 431: 645-646. https://doi.org/10.1038/431645a.
- Kerje, S., Sharma, P., Gunnarsson, U. Kim, H. Bagchi, S., Fredriksson, R., Schutz, K., Jensen, P. Heijne, G.V., Okimoto, R. and Andersson, L. (2004). The ominant white, dun and smoky colour variants in chicken are associated with insertion/deletion polymorphisms in the PMEL17 gene. Genetics.168: 1507-1515.https://doi.org/10.1534/genetics.104.027995.
- Khan, M.K.I., Khatun, M.J. and Kibria, A.K.M.G. (2004). Study the quality of eggs of different genotypes of chickens under semi-scavenging system at Bangladesh. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science. 7(12): 2163-2166.
- Khan, M.K.I., Siddiki, A.M.A.M.Z. Ali, M.R. and Akter, M.A. (2017). Identification of the best egg producers’ Hilly chicken in consideration of climate change factors and their genetic characterization. Indian Journal of Animal Science. 87(8): 991-995.
- Kuliawat, R. and Santambrogio, L. (2009). A Mutation within the transmembrane domain of melanosomal protein silver (PMEL17) changes lumenal fragment interactions. European Journal of Cell Biology, 88: 653-67. https://doi.org/10. 1016/j.ejcb.2009.07.001.
- Nedup, D., Duangjinda, M. and Phasuk, Y. (2012). Genetic characterization of Bhutanese native chickens based on an analysis of Red Jungle fowl (Gallus gallus gallus and Gallus gallus spadecieus), domestic Southeast Asian and commercial chicken lines (Gallus gallus domesticus). Genetics and Molecular Biology. 35: 603-609. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1415-47572012005000039.
- Nonga, H.E., Kajuna, F.F., Ngowi, H.A. and Karimuribo, E.D. (2012). Physical egg quality characteristics of free-range local chickens in Morogoro municipality, Tanzania. Livestock Research for Rural Development. 22 (12). http://www.lrrd. org/lrrd22/12/nong22218.htm.
- Sarma, M., Islam, R., Borah, M.K., Sharma, P., Mahanta, J.D., Kalita, N. and Bhattacharyya, B.N. (2018). Comparative performance of Vanaraja, Srinidhi and Desi chicken under traditional system among tribal community of Assam. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 52(10): 1518-1520. DOI: 10.18805/ijar.B-3391.
- Sas (Statistical Analytical Sofware). (2008). Users’ Guide Ver. 8.12. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Tamura, K., Stecher, G., Peterson, D., Filipski, A. and Kumar, S. (2013). MEGA6: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 6.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 30(12): 2725-2729. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/mst197.
- Vaez, M., Follett, S.A., Bed’hom, B., Gourichon, D., Boichard, M.T. and Burke, T. (2008). A single point-mutation within the melanophilin gene causes the lavender plumage colour dilution phenotype in the chicken. BMC Genetics. 9: 7. http://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2156-9-7.
- Yakubu, A., Ogah, D.M. and Barde, R.E. (2008). Productivity and egg quality characteristics of free range naked neck and normal feathered Nigerian indigenous chickens. International Journal of Poultry Science. 7: 579-585.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.