Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
A NEW PERSPECTIVE: AN ITALIAN AUTOCHTHONOUS PIG AND ITS MUSCLE AND FAT TISSUE CHARACTERISTICS
First Online |
- Choi Y.M. and. Kim B.C. (2009). Muscle fiber characteristics, myofibrillar protein isoforms, and meat quality. Livest. Sci. 122: 105-118.
- Franci O. and Pugliese C. (2007). Italian autochthonous pigs progress report and research perspectives. It. J. Anim. Sci. 6: 663-671.
- Gentry J.G., McGlone J.J., Blanton Jr J.R. and Miller M.F. (2002). Impact of spontaneous exercise on performance, meat quality, and muscle fiber characteristics of growing/finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 80: 2833-2839.
- Guastella, A. M., Criscione A., Marletta M., Zuccaro A., Chies L. and Bordonaro S. (2010). Molecular characterization and genetic structure of the Nero Siciliano pig breed. Genet Mol Biol. 33: 650–656.
- Klont R.E., Brocks L. and Eikelenboom, G., (1998). Muscle fibre type and meat quality. Meat Sci. 49, 219-229.
- Ikuyo, N., Mika, O.E., Koichi O., Susumu M., Masahiro S. and Koichi C. (2010). Cellularity of developing subcutaneous adipose tissue in Landrace and Meishan pigs: Adipocyte size differences between two breeds. Anim. Sci. J. 82: 144-149.
- Lefaucheur L. (2010). A second look into fibre typing—relation to meat quality. Meat Sci. 84: 257-70.
- Maiorano G. (2009). Swine production in Italy and research perspectives for the local breeds. Slovak J. Anim. Sci. 42: 159 - 166.
- McEvoy F.J., Anders B. S., Madsen M.T. and Svalastoga E. (2007). Changes in the relative thickness of individual subcutaneous adipose tissue layers in growing pigs. Acta Vet. Scand. 49: 32.
- Ozawa S., Mitsuhashi T., Mitsumoto M., Matsumoto S., Itoh N., Itagaki K., Kohno Y. and Dohgo T. (2000). The characteristics of muscle fiber types of longissimus thoracis muscle and their influences on the quantity and quality of meat from Japanese Black steers. Meat Sci. 54: 65-70.
- Przybylski W., Jaworska D., Olczak E., Namys³aw I., Kajak-Siemaszko K., Santé-Lhoutellier V. and Niemyjski S.( 2010). Characteristic of slaughter value and meat quality of three synthetic pig lines. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 40 (3).
- Rehfeldt C. and Kuhn G. (2006). Consequences of birth weight for postnatal growth performance and carcass quality in pigs as related tomyogenesis. J. Anim. Sci. 84, 113–123.
- Ryu Y.C. and Kim, B.C. (2005). The relationship between muscle fibre characteristics, postmortem metabolic rate, and meat quality of pig longissimus dorsi muscle. Meat Sci 17: 351-357.
- Ryu Y.C. and Kim, B.C. (2006). Comparison of histochemical characteristics in various pork groups categorized by postmortem metabolic rate and pork quality. J. Anim. Sci. 84: 894-901.
- Ryu Y.C., Rhee M.S. and Kim, B.C. (2004). Estimation of correlation coefficients between histological parameter and carcass traits of pigs longissimus dorsi muscle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:428-433.
- Solomon M.B. and Dunn M.C. (1988). Simultaneous histochemical determination of three fibre types in single section of ovine, bovine and porcine skeletal muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 66: 255-264.
- Tarres J., Tibau J., Piedrafita J., Fabrega, E. and Reixach J. (2006). Factors affecting longevity in maternal Duroc swine lines. Livest. Sci. 100: 121-131.
- Teye G.A. (2009). Effects of age/weight and castration on fatty acids composition in pork fat and the qualities of pork and pork fat in Meishan x Large White pigs. Af. J. Food Agric. Nutrit. Develop. 9: 1697-1711.
- Velotto S., Varrichio E., Di Prisco M.R., Stasi T. and Crasto A. (2007). Skeletal Myocyte Types and Vascularity in the Black Sicilian Pig. Acta Vet. Brno. 76: 163–170.
- Velotto S., Vitale C., Stasi T. and Crasto A. (2010). New insights into muscle fibre types in Casertana Pig. Acta Vet. Brno 79: 169-176.
- Velotto S., Vitale C. and Crasto A. (2012). Muscle fibre types, fat deposition and fatty acid profile of Casertana versus Large White pig. Animal Sci. Papers and Reports 30: 35-44.
- Wood J.D., Enser M., Fisher A.V., Nute G.R., Sheard P.R., Richardson R., Hughes S.I., Whittington F.M. (2008). Fat deposition, fatty acid composition and meat quality: A review. Meat Sci. 4: 343-358.
- Yang L., Zaiyan X., Hongying L., Yuanzhu X. and Bo Z. (2010). Differential transcriptional analysis between red and white skeletal muscle of Chinese Meishan pigs. Int. J Biol. Sci. 6:350-360.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.