Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Influence of breed on behavioral preferences of pigs
First Online 03-10-2019|
- Beattie, V.E., O’Connell, N.E., Kilpatrick, D.J., Moss, B.W. (2000). Influence of environmental enrichment on welfare-related behavioral and physiological parameters in growing pigs. Journal of Animal Science. 70: 443-450.
- Blackshaw, J.K., Thomas, F.J., Lee, J.-A. (1997). The effect of a fixed or free toy on the growth rate and aggressive behaviour of weaned pigs and the influence of hierarchy on initial investigation of the toys. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 53: 203-212.
- Bracke, M.B., and Hopster, H. (2006). Assessing the importance of natural behaviour for animal welfare. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics. 19(1): 77-89.
- Brown, S.M., Klaffenböck, M., Nevison, I.M., Lawrence, A.B. (2015). Evidence for litter differences in play behaviour in pre-weaned pigs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 172: 17-25.
- Brown, S.M., Peters, R., Nevison, I.M. and Lawrence, A.B. (2018). Playful pigs: Evidence of consistency and change in play depending on litter and developmental stage. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 198: 36-43.
- Bulens, A., Van Beirendonck, S., Van Thielen, J., Buys, N., and Driessen, B. (2015). Straw applications in growing pigs: effects on behavior, straw use and growth. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 169: 26-32.
- Gonyou, H.W., Lou, Z. (2000). Effects of eating space and availability of water in feeders on productivity and eating behavior of grower/finisher pigs. Journal of Animal Science. 78: 865-870.
- Guy, J.H., Rowlinson, P., Chadwick, J.P., and Ellis, M. (2002). Behaviour of two genotypes of growing–finishing pig in three different housing systems. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 75(3): 193-206.
- Muns, R., Rault, J.L., and Hemsworth, P. (2015). Positive human contact on the first day of life alters the piglet’s behavioural response to humans and husbandry practices. Physiology and Behavior. 151: 162-167.
- Sandhu, K.S., Malik, D.S., Sahoo, S.P., and Saini, A.L. (2018). Effect of weight and age based split weaning on growth performances and welfare of Large White Yorkshire piglets. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 52(7): 1087-1090.
- Scott, K., Taylor, L., Gill, B.P., and Edwards, S.A. (2007). Influence of different types of environmental enrichment on the behaviour of finishing pigs in two different housing systems: 2. Ratio of pigs to enrichment. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 105(1): 51-58.
- Sinha, R., Kamboj, M.L., Lathwal, S.S., and Ranjan, A. (2018). Effect of housing management on production performance of crossbred cows during hot-humid season. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 52(7): 1091-1094.
- Templ, D., Dalmau, A. (2011). Assessment of animal welfare through behavioural parameters in iberian pigs in intensive and extensive conditions. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 131(1-2): 29-39.
- Zhuchaev, K.V., Suetov, N.V., Kaufmann, O., Osadchuk, L.V., Borisenko, E.A. (2014). Effect of enrichment to physiological state of piglets after weaning. Russian Agricultural Science. 5: 64-66.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.