Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
Relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and meat quality parameters in Turkish native goat breeds
First Online 22-10-2018|
- Atay, O. and Gokdal, O. (2016). Some production traits and phenotypic relationships between udder and production traits of Hair goats. Indian J. Anim. Res., 50 (6) : 983-988.
- Bolacali, M. Ozturk, Y. Yýlmaz, O. Kucuk, M. and Karslý, M. A. (2017). Effect of genotype and non-genetic factors on growth traits and survival rates in Turkish indigenous Hair goats and their first cross with Boer bucks. Indian J. Anim. Res., 51: 975-981.
- Broke, M.M. Keiser, K. (1970). Muscle fiber type; How many and what kind. Arc. Neuro. 23: 369–370.
- Büngera, L, Navajasa, E.A. Stevensonb, L. Lambea, N.R. Maltin, C.A. Simma, G. Fisherd, A.V. and Change, K.C. (2009). Muscle fibre characteristics of two contrasting sheep breeds: Scottish Blackface and Texel. Meat Sci., 81: 372–381.
- Choi, Y.M. Ryu, Y.C. and Kim, B.C. (2007). Influence of myosin heavy- and light chain isoforms on early postmortem glycolytic rate and pork quality. Meat. Sci. 76: 281–288.
- Dwyer, C.M. Stickland, N.C. and Fletcher, J.M. (1994). The influence of maternal nutrition on muscle fiber number development in the porcine fetus and on subsequent postnatal growth. J Anim. Sci. 72: 911–917.
- Fahey, A.J. Brameld, J.M. Parr T. Buttery, P.J. (2005). The effect of maternal undernutrition before muscle differentiation on the muscle fiber development of the newborn lamb. J. Anim. Sci. 83: 2564–2571.
- Hwang, Y.H. Kim, G.D. Jeong, J.Y. Hur, S.J. Joo, S.T. (2010). The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and meat quality traits of highly marbled Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) steers. Meat Sci. 86: 456–461.
- Jeong, J.Y. Kim, G.D. Ha, D.M. Park, M.J. Park, B.C. Joo, S.T. and Lee, C.Y. (2012). Relationships of muscle fiber characteristics to dietary energy density slaughter weight, and muscle quality traits in finishing pigs. Journal of Animal Science & Technology, 54: 175–183.
- Joo, S.T. Kim, G.D. Hwang, Y.H. and Ryu, Y.C. (2013). Control of fresh meat quality through manipulation of muscle fiber characteristics. Meat Sci. 95: 828–836.
- Karlsson, A. Enfalt, A.C. Essen-Gustavsson, B. Lundstrom, K. Rydhmer, L. Stern, S. (1993). Muscle histochemical and biochemical properties in relation to meat quality during selection for increased lean tissue growth rate in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 71: 930–938.
- Kim, G.D. Jeong, J.Y. Jung, E.Y. Yang, H.S. Lim, H.T. and Joo, S.T. (2013). The influence of fiber size distribution of type IIB on carcass traits and meat quality in pigs. Meat Sci. 94: 267–273.
- Kovanen, V. Suominen, H. Heikkinen, E. (1984). Mechanical properties of fast and slow skeletal muscle with special reference to collagen and endurance training. J. Biomech. 17: 725–735.
- Larzul, C. Le Roy, P. Gogue, J.,Talmant, A. Jacque, B. Lefaucheur, L. (1999). Selection for reduced muscle glycolytic potential in Large White pigs. II. Correlated responses in meat quality and muscle compositional traits. Genetics, Selection, Evolution, 31: 61–76.
- Lee, S.H. Joo, S.T. and Ryu, Y.C. (2010). Skeletal muscle fiber type and myofibrillar proteins in relation to meat quality. Meat Sci. 86: 166–170.
- Maltin, C. Balcerzak, D. Tilley, R. Delday, M. (2003). Determinants of meat quality: Tenderness. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 62: 337–347.
- Ngambi, J.W. Alabi, O.J. Alabi, D. N. J. and Norris, D. (2013). Role of goats in food security, poverty alleviation and prosperity with special reference to Sub-Saharan Africa: a review. Indian J. Anim. Res., 47 (1): 1 – 9
- Ozawa, S. Mitsuhashi, T. Mitsumoto, M. Matsumoto, S. Itoh, N. and Itagaki, K. (2000). The characteristics of muscle fiber types of longissimus thoracis muscle and their influences on the quantity and quality of meat from Japanese Black steers. Meat Sci. 54: 65–70.
- Rehfeld, C. Fiedler, I. Stickland, N.C. (2004). Number and size of muscle fibres in relation to meat production. Pas, MFW te; Everts ME, Haagsman HP. Muscle development of livestock animals, 1–38. Wallingford, UK: CABI Publishing.
- Renand, G. Picard, B. Touraille, C. Berge, P. and Lepetit, S. (2001). Relationship between muscle characteristics and meat quality traits of young Charlois bulls. Meat Sci. 59: 49–60.
- Renerre M. (1990): Factors involved in the discoloration of beef meat. Inter. J. Food Sci. Tech. 25: 613–630.
- Ryu, Y.C. Choi, Y.M. Lee, S.H. Shin, H.G. Choe, J.H. Kim, J.M. Hong, K.C. and Kim, B.C. (2008). Comparing the histochemical characteristics and meat quality traits of different pig breeds. Meat Sci. 80: 363–369.
- Sen, U. Sirin, E. Aksoy, Y. Ensoy, U. Ulutas, Z. and Kuran, M. (2016). The effect of maternal nutrition level during mid-gestation on post-natal muscle fiber composition and meat quality in lambs. Anim. Prod. Sci. 56: 834–843.
- Sen, U. Sirin, E. Ulutas, Z. and Kuran, M. (2011). Fattening performance, slaughter, carcass and meat quality traits of Karayaka lambs. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 43: 409–416.
- Sirin, E. Aksoy, Y. Uðurlu, M. Çicek, U. Önenç, A. Ulutaª, Z. ªen, U. Kuran, M. (2017). The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and some meatquality parameters in Turkish native sheep breeds. Small Ruminant Research 150: 46–51.
- TurkStat (Turkish Statistical Institute). (2016). Livestock Statistics. http://www.tuik.gov.tr (accessed November 19, 2016).
- Wigmore P.M.C. and Stickland, N.C. (1983). Muscle development in large and small pig fetuses. J. Anat. 137: 235–245.
- Wimmers, K. Ngu, N.T. Jennen, D.G.J. Tesfaye, D. Murani, E. Schellander, K. and Ponsuksili, S. (2008). Relationship between myosin heavy chain isoform expression and muscling in several diverse pig breeds. J. Anim. Sci. 86: 795–803.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.