EVALUATION OF ACUTE AND SUBCHRONIC ANTI-INFLAMMATORY EFFECT OF COW URINE IN RATS
Citation :- EVALUATION OF ACUTE AND SUBCHRONIC ANTI-INFLAMMATORY EFFECT OF COW URINE IN RATS.Indian Journal of Animal Research.2011.(45):198 - 202
The study was conducted to know the anti-inflammatory effect of cow urine on formalin induced (edema Cacute and chronic) inflammatory activity in male and female Wistar albino rats procured from the Laboratory Animal Facility of Veterinary College, Hebbal, Bangalore. They were aged between six to seven weeks and weighed 130-150g. In the present study, there was no significant decrease in paw thickness in cow urine treated groups when compared to standard control. There was significant decrease in paw thickness in Diclofenac drug treated group (standard control) in both the sexes of rats. The literature on anti-inflammatory activity of cow urine is scanty; hence no comparison could be made.
- Chau, T., (1989). Moder. Meth. Pharmacol. 5: 195-212.
- Fields , H.L. (1987). Analgesic Drugs. In: Pain 1st ed. Day W Eds., Mac. Graw-Hill (USA), pp 272.
- Graph Pad Prism, Version 4.01 for Windows, Graph Pad Software Inc., (2004). San Diego, California, USA.
- Greenwald, R.A., (1991). Methods Find. Clin. Pharmacol., 13: 75–79.
- Gunter, E.W. (1997). Chemosphere, 34: 1945–1953.
- Hess, S.M. and Milonig, R.C. (1972). Assay for anti-inflammatory drugs. In: Inflammation, Mechanisms and Control. Lepow, I.H., Ward, P.A. (Eds.) Academic Press, New York, pp.1–2.
- Kaviratna and Sharma, (1996). Use of cow’s urine in leprosy. Charak Sarnhita (Eng.), 2nd Ed., Sri Satguru Publications, pp 804-810.
- Krishnamurthi, K., Dutta, D., Sivanesan, S.D. and Chakrabarti, T. (2004). Protective effect of distillate and redistillate of cow’s urine in human polymorphonuclear leukocytes challenged with established genotoxic chemicals. Biomed. Environ. Sci., 17: 247-256.
- Landi, M.T. and Caporaso, N. (1997). Sample collection, processing and storage. IARC Sci. Publ., 142: 223–236.
- Larsen, G.L. and Henson, P.M. (1983). Annu. Rev. Immunol., 1: 335–344.
- Nair, M.D., (2002). A report on cow urine therapy, published in national daily ‘The Hindu’ on Thursday, Sept 19, 2002.
- Olajide, O. A., Awe, S.O., Makinde, J. O., Ekhelar, A. I., Olusola, A., Morebise, O. and Okpako, D. T (2000) . Studies on the anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and analgesic properties of Alstonia boonei stem bark. J. Ethnopharmacol., 71: 179–186.
- Raghaveshwara Bharati Swamiji. (2006) ‘Goyatra to reach Shimoga this week’ published in national daily ‘The Hindu’ on Thursday, Jan 05, 2006.
- Vane, J. and Booting, R. (1987). FASEB. J., 1: 89–95.
- Wheeler-Aceto, H. and Cowan, A. (1991). Agents Actions, 34: 264–272.