Chief EditorK.M.L. Pathak
Print ISSN 0367-6722
Online ISSN 0976-0555
NAAS Rating 6.43
Impact Factor 0.5 (2023)
ISOLATION, CHARACTERIZATION AND ANTIBIOTIC SENSITIVITY TEST OF PATHOGENIC LISTERIA SPECIES IN LIVESTOCK, POULTRY AND FARM ENVIRONMENT OF ODISHA*
- Aghi, H.M., Garg, S.R. and Mandokhot, U. (2004). Occurrence of Listeria in animal faecal matter, farmyard manure and sewage. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 74(7):737-738.
- Al-Ghazali, M.R and Al-Azzawi, S.K. (1990). Listeria monocytogenes contamination of crops grown on soil treated with sewage sludge cake. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 69:642-647.
- Bauer, A.W., Kirby, W.M.M., Sherris, K.C. and Turck, M. (1966). Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disc method. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 45:493-496.
- BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards). (1994). Committee Draft, General guidance for the detection of Listeria monocytogenes. Microbiology CD, 11290. 11-12.
- Bonardi, S., Brindani, F. and Maggi, E. (2002). Isolation of Listeria monocytogenes and Listeria spp. from pigs at slaughtering in Italy. Annali della Facolta’ di Medicina Veterinaria di Parma. 22:205-210.
- Chand, P. and Sadana, J.R. (1999). Outbreak of Listeria ivanovii abortion in sheep in India. Vet. Rec. 145:83-84.
- Elezebeth, G., Malik, S.V.S., Chaudhari, S.P. and Barbuddhe, S.B. (2007). The occurrence of Listeria species and antibodies against listeriolysin-O in naturally infected goats. Small Ruminant Res. 67(2-3):173-178.
- Giridhar, O.P. and Garg, S.R. (2002). Prevalence of Listeria in animal farms. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 72 (10):847-849.
- Kaur, S. and Malik, S.V.S. (2007). Antibiotic sensitivity Patterns of Listeria isolates from spontaneous abortion cases. Indian J. Vet. Pub. Hlth. 5(1):1-7.
- Low, J.C. and Donachie, W. (1997). A review of Listeria monocytogenes and listeriosis. The Vet. J. 153:9-29.
- Malik, S.V.S., Barbuddhe, S.B. and Chaudhary, S.P. (2002). Listeric infections in man and animals in Indian subcontinent: A review. Tropical Anim. Health Pro. 34(5):359-381.
- McClain, D. and Lee, W.H. (1988). Development of USDA-FSIS method for isolation of Listeria monocytogenes from raw meat and poultry. J. AOAC Int. 71:660-664.
- McLauchlin, J. (1987). Listeria monocytogenes, recent advances in the taxonomy and epidemiology of listeriosis in human. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 63:1-11.
- Menudier, A., Bosiraud, C. and Nicolas, J.A. (1991). Virulence of Listeria monocytogenes serovars and Listeria spp. in experimental infection of mice. J. Food Prot. 54:917-921.
- Nigam, P., Katoch, R.C., Verma, S. and Batta, M.K. (1998). Chemotherapeutic sensitivity profile of Listeria species from reproductive disorders of domestic animals. Indian Vet. J. 75:658-659.
- Nightingale, K. K., Schukken, Y.H., Nightingale, C.R., Fort, E.D., Ho, A.J., Her, Z., Grohn, T., McDonough, P.L. and Wiedmann, M. (2004). Ecology and transmission of Listeria monocytogenes infecting ruminants and in the farm environment, Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 70:4458–4467.
- Njagi, L.W., Mbuthia, P.G., Bebora, L.C., Nyaga, P.N., Minga, U. and Olsen, J.E. (2004). Carrier status for Listeria monocytogenes and other Listeria species in free range farm and market healthy indigenous chickens and ducks. East Afr. Med. J. 81(10):529-533.
- Notermans, S., Dufrenne, J., Chakraborty, T., Steinmeyer, S. and Terplant, G. (1991). The chick embryo test agrees with the mouse bio-assay for assessment of the pathogenicity of Listeria species. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 13:161-164.
- Phadke, S.P., Bhagwat, S.V., Kapsikar, R.N. and Gheveri, S.D. (1979). Listeriosis in sheep and goats in Maharastra. Indian Vet. J. 56:634-637.
- Parihar, V.S., Barbuddhe, S.B., Chakurkar, E.B., Danielsson-Tham, M.L. and Tham, W. (2007). Isolation of Listeria species from farm bulk milk at the receiving dairy plant and cervico-vaginal swabs. Indian J. Comp. Microbiol. Immunol. Infect. Dis. 28:53-55.
- Sarangi, L.N., Panda, H.K., Priyadarshini, A., Sahoo, S., Palai, T.K., Ranabijuli, S., Senapati, S. and Mohanty, D.N. (2009). Prevalence of Listeria specioes in milk samples of cattle of Odisha. Indian J. Comp. Microbiol. Immunol. Infect. Dis. 30(2):135-136.
- Schaffter, N. and Parriaux, A. (2002). Pathogenic bacterial water contamination in mountainous catchment. Water Res. 36:131-139.
- Schlech, W.F., Lavigne, P.M., Bortolussi, R.A., Allen, A.C., Haldane, E.V., Wort, A. J., Hightower, A.W., Johnson, S.E., King, S.H., Nicholls, E.S. and Broom, C.V. (1983). Epidemic listeriosis- evidence for transmission by food, New Engl. J. Med. 308:203-206.
- Skovgaard, N. and Morgen, C.A. (1988). Detection of Listeria spp. in faeces from animals, in feeds, and in raw foods of animal origin, Skovgaard, N. and Morgen, C.A. (1988). . Detection of Listeria spp. in faeces from animals, in feeds, and in raw foods of animal origin. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 6:229-242.
- Thakur, S. (2000). M.V.Sc. Thesis, Deemed University, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, U.P. India.
- Unnerstad, H., Bannerman, E., Billie, J., Danielsson-Tham, M.L. and Tham, W. (1996). Prolong contamination of a dairy with Listeria monocytogenes. Neth. Milk Dairy J. 50:493-496.
- Vijay Krishna. S., Venkata Reddy, T., Varalakshmi, K. and Subrahmanyam, K. V. (2000). Listeriosis in broiler chicken. Indian Vet. J. 77:285-286.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.