AN EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY OF CANINE NEOPLASMS*
Citation :- AN EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY OF CANINE NEOPLASMS*.Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2012.(46):196-198
The incidence of neoplasms among canines in Thrissur area of Kerala was studied. Samples were obtained from the canine cases presented to the University Veterinary hospitals of Mannuthy and Kokkalai as well as from the carcasses brought for post mortem examination in the Centre of Excellence in Pathology, College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Mannuthy during an year. Collected samples were subjected to histopathological studies for diagnosis of tumour type. Age, sex and breed of the affected animals were analyzed. Sixty one tumour cases were obtained. Sixty six per cent of the tumours were benign. Skin and soft tissue tumours were the common type observed. Maximum cases were observed in the 5 to 8 year group. Fifty eight per cent of the affected animals were females. Breed wise analysis revealed that German shepherds were the most affected.
- Bancroft, J.D. and Gamble, M. (2002). Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques. (5th ed.). Churchill Livingstone, USA, 796p.
- Bhaskara Rao, T. and Malleswara Rao, U.V.N. (2009). Indian Vet. J. 86:414-415.
- Dayananda, T.S., Rao, S., Byregowda, S.M., Satyanarayana, M.L., Jayachandra, K.C. and Shilpa, V.T. 2009a. Prevalence of skin and subcutaneous tissue neoplasms in dogs. Indian Vet. J. 86: 671-673.
- Degloorkar, N.M., Moregaonkar, S.D., Deshpande, B.B., Kulkarni, G.B., Bhokre, A.P. and Panchbhai, V.S. (1992). Neoplasms in domestic animals at Parbhani (Maharashtra). Indian J. Vet. Pathol. 16(2):106-107.
- Kujur, R.F., Balachandran, C., Sudhakar Rao, G.V. and MuraliManohar, B. (2009). Incidence of skin tumors in dogs. Indian Vet. J. 86:518-519.
- MacEven, E.G. and Withrow, S.J. (1989). Tumors of the mammary gland. In: Withrow, S.J. and MacEven, E.G. (eds.), Clinical Veterinary Oncology. J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, pp. 293-297.
- Nair, B.C., Saikumar, G., Sharma, R. and Paliwal, O.P. (2007). A study on spontaneous canine neoplasms in Bareilly, U.P. Indian J. Vet. Pathol. 31(2): 166-168.
- Singh, R., Mohindroo, J., Banga, H.S., Singh, S.S. and Kansal, S.K. 2004. Occurance of neoplasms in canines. Indian J. Vet. Pathol. 28 :54-57.