HISTOMORPHOLOGY OF THE PULMONARY ACINUS IN SAMBAR DEER (CERVUS UNICOLOR)
Citation :- HISTOMORPHOLOGY OF THE PULMONARY ACINUS IN SAMBAR DEER (CERVUS UNICOLOR).Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2012.(46):127-131
Histomorphological studies were conducted on the pulmonary acinus of a female adult Sambar deer collected from the Zoo, Trichur. The lung acinus which formed the functional unit of the gas exchange area consisted of all the air spaces distal to one terminal bronchiole and comprised respiratory bronchioles, alveolar ducts, alveolar sacs and alveoli. The respiratory bronchioles were distinctly wide and longer and showed the distended alveoli on their walls. The lining epithelium of the respiratory bronchioles was simple cuboidal except in the areas where they formed the alveoli. The smooth muscle reduced progressively during the transition from terminal bronchiole to respiratory bronchiole. More number of alveoli were recorded per field when compared to the lung tissue of domestic animals. Alveoli were composed of two types of cells, namely type-I pneumocytes and type-II pneumocytes with a few dust cells. The average alveolar diameter was found to be 40.44 ± 2.39 mm.
- Baba, M.A. and Choudhary, A.R. (2008). Vet. World . 1(10): 312-313.
- Banks, W.J. (1993). Applied Veterinary Histology. 3rd Ed. Mosby Year Book, St. Louis.
- Bloom, W. and Fawcett, D. W. (1970): A Textbook of Histology. 9th edn. W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia.
- Cormack, D.H. (1987). Ham’s Histology. 9th Ed. J. B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia.
- Dellmann, D.H. and Eurell, J.A. (2006). Textbook of Veterinary Histology. 5th Ed. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia.
- Kahwa, C.K.B. and Purton, M. (1996). Small Rum. Res., 20: 181-186.
- Kahwa, C. K. B., Atawal, O.S. and Purton, M.(1997).Res. Vet. Sci., 63:49-56.
- Kalita, H.C. and Bordoloi, C.C (1998) .Proceedings of the XIII Annual convention of the Indian Association of Vetrinary Anatomists and National Symposium on “ Application of Veterinary Anatomy in Biotechnology, Immunology and Clinical practices” :196.
- Iovannitti, B., Pirie, H.M. and Wright, N.G. (1985), Res. Vet. Sci., 38: 80-87.
- Luna, L.G. (1968). Manual of Histological Staining Methods of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. 3rd Ed. Mc Graw-Hill Book Company, New York.
- Raji, A.R. (2006). J. Appl. Anim. Res., 30: 37-40.
- Sarah, E. (1994). Sci. World.
- Saari, S. (1995). Anat. Histol. Embryol.: 24: 3: 165 - 169.