SERODIAGNOSIS OF CRYPTOSPORIDIOSIS IN CATTLE BY IFAT*
Citation :- SERODIAGNOSIS OF CRYPTOSPORIDIOSIS IN CATTLE BY IFAT*.Indian Journal of Animal Research.2012.(46):70 - 73
The indirect fluorescent antibody technique was standardised for serodiagnosis of Cryptosporidiosis in naturally infected cattle. A total of 201 faecal and serum samples were collected from different farms, animal shelters and abbatoirs in and around Bangalore which included 11 samples positive for Cryptosporidium infection on faecal microscopy. Two species viz., Cryptosporidium parvum and Cryptosporidium andersoni were prevalent based on faecal examination. Oocysts were purified by using sedimentation and gradient centrifugation and then the samples were screened by immunofluorescence antibody technique (IFAT). Out of 201 sera samples 25 samples were positive for Cryptosporidial antibodies indicating an infection rate of 12.44%.
IFAT (Indirect fluorescent antibody test)
- Arrowood, M. J. and Sterling, C. R., (1987) Isolation of Cryptosporidium oocysts and sporozoites using discontinuous sucrose and isopycnic percoll gradients. J. Parasito.., 78 : 314-319.
- Current and N.C. Reese, A comparison of endogenous development of three isolates of Cryptosporidium in suckling mice, J. Protozoology. 33 (1986), pp. 98–108.
- Elory, D. M., Laila, H. S. and Gudrun, E., (1987) Cryptosporidium antibodies in Manitoba cattle: A pilot study using an indirect fluorescent antibody procedure. Canadian Vete. J.., 28: 126-128.
- Lindsay, D. S., Upton, S. J., Owens, D. S., Morgan, U. M., Mead, J. R. and blagburn, B.L., (2000) Cryptosporidium andersoni n. spp. (Apicomplexa:Cryptosporididae) from cattle, Bos Taurus. J.Eukaryotic Microbiol., 47: 91-95.
- Lorenzo, L. M. J., Ares-mazas, E. and Villacorta M. M. I., (1993) Detection of oocysts and IgG antibodies to Cryptosporidium parvum in assymptomatic adult cattle. Vety. Parasito., 41: 9-15.
- O’donghue, J., (1995) Cryptosporidium and Cryptosporidiosis in man and animals. Intern. J. Parasitol.., 25 : 139-195.
- Scott, C.A., Smith, H.V., Mtambo, M.M.A. and Gibbs, H.A., (1995) An epidemiological study of Cryptosporidium parvum in two herds of adult beef cattle. Vety. Parasito., 57 : 277-288.