PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF BODY CONDITION OF GILTS AT FIRST MATING ON PRE-WEANING PERFORMANCE AND SURVIVABILITY OF PIGLETS IN THE HUMID TROPICS
Citation :- PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF BODY CONDITION OF GILTS AT FIRST MATING ON PRE-WEANING PERFORMANCE AND SURVIVABILITY OF PIGLETS IN THE HUMID TROPICS.Indian Journal of Animal Research.2012.(46):51 - 55
An experiment was conducted to determine the impact of pre-mating body condition score of gilts on performance of their litters. Eighteen (18), seven-month old Large White x Landrace crossbred gilts were selected and randomly assigned to three body condition scores; 1 (thin; 18mm backfat) respectively. The gilts were mated and their pre-weaning litter performances observed and recorded after farrowing. Results showed that body condition of the gilts at mating affected litter sizes at birth and at weaning, piglet birth and weaning weights, growth rate, survival-to-weaning and piglet mortality in favour of Gilts with normal and fat body conditions at breeding. It was concluded that the body condition of gilts at first mating have significant impact on the performance of their litters after farrowing.
body condition score.
- Adebambo, A.O. (1981). A comparison of the indigenous and exotic pure and crossbred sows in southern Nigeria: Relationship between Dam and litter performance. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 8 (1):67-74.
- Adebambo, O.A. and Dettmers, A.E. (1979). Comparative performance of the indigenous and exotic sows in Nigeria: Milk yield, persistency of production and utilization by the litter. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 6 :(1 and2) 26-32.
- Aladi, N.O., Okeudo, N.J., Okoli, I.C. and Akanno, E.C. (2008). Reproductive and hematological characteristics of the Nigerian Indigenous and Large white pigs in a humid tropical environment. Asian J. Animal and Vet. Advcs., 3(1): 17 -23.
- Challinor, C. M.; Dams, G.; Edwards, B. and Close, W. H. (1996). The effect of body condition of gilts at first mating on long-term sow productivity. Ani. Sci., 62:660 (Abstract).
- Close, B.W.H. (2003). The role of feeding and management in enhancing sow reproductive potential. Proceedings London Swine Confr. Maintaining your competitive edge. 9-10 April, 2003. pp 25-36.
- Duncan, D. B. (1955). Multiple range and multiple F test. Biometrics, 33:1-42.
- Ehiobu, N.G., Kyado, J.A. and Njike, M. C. (2000). Productivity of Large white, Hampshire breeds and their crosses at NAPRI swine herd, Otukpo, Benue State. J. Agric, Techno. and Edu., 5 (1 and 2): 21-27.
- Johnson, C, Stalder K, and Karriker L. (2006). Sow condition scoring guidelines. National Hog Farmers. 2006 Penton Media.
- Knight, J.W., Bazer, F.W, Thatcher, W.W., Franke, D.E. and Wallace, H.D. (1977). Conceptus development in intact and unilaterally hysterectomized-ovariectomized gilts: interactions among hormonal status, placental development, foetal fluids and foetal growth. J. Anim. Sci. 44:620-637.
- Nabuurs, M.J.A., Hoogendoorn, A., van der Molen, E.J. and van Osta, A.L.M. (1993). Villus height and crypt depth in weaned and unweaned pigs reared under various circumstances in The Netherlands.
- Noblet, J., and Etienne, M. (1989). Estimation of Sow milk nutrient output. J. Anim. Sci. 67: 3352 -3359.
- Oseni, S. (2005) Evaluation of the F1 and backcrosses of Nigerian local pigs and the Large White for litter characteristics in Southwest Nigeria. Livestock Research for Rural Development 17(4): 2005. http://lrrd.org/ lrrd17/4/osen17044.htm
- SAS Institute (1999). SAS/STAT. User’s guide version 8 for Windows. SAS institute Inc. Cary, NC. USA.
- Singh-Knights, D and Knights, M. (2005). Feasibility of goat production in West Virginia. A handbook for Beginners. Bulletin 728. Publication of West Virginia Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station. Davis College of Agriculture, Forestry and Consumer Services. 2005. p.1-34.
- Taiwo, B.B.A., Buvanendran, V. and Adu, I.F. (2005). Effects of body condition on the reproductive performance of Red Sokoto goats. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 32(1):1-6.
- Varley, M.A. (1995) Introduction. In: The Neonatal Pig - Development and Survival. (Ed.) M.A. Varley, CAB International, Wallingford, pp.1-13.
- Whittemore, C. (1998). The Science and Practice of Pig production. 2nd edn. Blackwell Science Ltd., London, UK, pp.91-130 and pp.421-454.
- Williamson G and Payne W.J.A. (1975). An Introduction to Animal Husbandry in the Tropics. 2nd Edn. E.L.B.S and Longman Group Publishers. Great Britain. pp.303-331.
- Young, M.G., Tokach, M.D., Aherne, F.X., Main, R.G., Dritz, S.S., Goodman, R.D. and Nelssen, J.L (2004). Comparison of three methods of feeding sows in gestation and the subsequent effects on lactation performance J. Anim. Sci. 82(10): 3058-3070.
- Res.Vet. Sci. 55: 78-84.